New Iowa State Helmet

footballfiji

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to go with the 'cyclones'. ISU is too generic with some many 'I' state schools. The middle one just doesn't say Iowa state to me. I also agree with everyone that the helmet should be cardinal red. Overall, not thrilled with these choices, the white face mask, and the Redskin imitation unis.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Someone asked for pictures?

Here's two from roughly around the turn of the decade:

iowa_s45.jpg

swallace.jpg

(BONUS: anyone--OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF IOWA--know who #15 is? Here's your clue: he's the guy who backs up Matt Hasselback in Seattle now...)

And here's one from their last "mild" update, of Rhett (or is is "Bret"?) Meyer:

Meyer.jpg

As for this here:

Yet another collegiate athletic team picks up the Berthold City typeface to label its jerseys and/or logo wordmark...and bastardizes the hell out of it. Sort of like how so many schools used to do with the Demonized typeface (which itself was a SUPER-bastardized version of the same Berthold City family, IIRC...).

They all blow. Boring. Boring. Not distinctive at all. And nothing about anything in that package even REMOTELY triggers a connotation with a cyclone--which, as most of us know, is another word for tornado...you know, fast, violent wind, moving swiftly...POWERFUL?

Ain't a singular damn thing about anything in this package that comes close to that...they may as well rename themselves the Iowa State Cornstalks for all that...

Frankly, what CAN you do with a hurricane/cyclone? Take a look at Miami's U logo. Take a look at Carolina's swirl thingy. It's just not an easy concept to readily represent with a decent logo. Try too hard and you've got the stupid bird in a blender thing they've been saddled with for far too long. Sometimes you just have to step back, take a deep breath, and go simple.

What one CAN do, if they've got the dedication, is sit down and hammer out something that does work...creatively simple. Some things, such as a cyclone, are harder to work with than others, but they got close with the '80s-style helmet logo they had.

There's a fine line between "simple" and "bland"--and in this instance, those helmets, IMO, tilt more toward bland, while the uniforms themselves, or at least the numbers, try too hard to be "edgy", and when pasted onto a Washington Redskins knockoff base, combined with that bland-ish helmet, to me, it just ain't a good solid mix at all. And part of me wants to think that maybe someone up there in Ames saw Wyoming's set, what with the white shell, colored shirt, and "gold" (yellow) pants, and thought it could work for Iowa State.

In fact--I think all of this just insipired a nice concept challenge for me here...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

But whose template is that, actually? I thought that was made by somebody here.

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm in Iowa State country and I'm not feeling these at all. These are just too bland for anyone, let alone Iowa State.

I like what doafhat did and modernized the helmet from the dark ages of ISU football and make it look good. Why don't they take a look at what some of you guys can do with a possible ISU helmet instead of taking some cheap crappy looking helmet that just screams 'We are so bland that we make vanilla look good!'

Oh, and Bucco: It's Bret Meyer. Good kid, but he struggled when his main target, Todd Blythe, got doubled up almost every game.

I'm in Iowa State country and I'm not feeling these at all. These are just too bland for anyone, let alone Iowa State.

I like what doafhat did and modernized the helmet from the dark ages of ISU football and make it look good. Why don't they take a look at what some of you guys can do with a possible ISU helmet instead of taking some cheap crappy looking helmet that just screams 'We are so bland that we make vanilla look good!'

Oh, and Bucco: It's Bret Meyer. Good kid, but he struggled when his main target, Todd Blythe, got doubled up almost every game.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

D: None of the above/the old ones. Red helmets would work best for this team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tried my hand at modernizing the gold ISU helmets from the 80's...

1172482979_8d6566a526_o.png

For a small favor, could you invert the colors on the helmet? Like, changing the gold shell to red and changing the "Iowa State" and the cyclone to gold? I was just curious...

For a small favor, could you invert the colors on the helmet? Like, changing the gold shell to red and changing the "Iowa State" and the cyclone to gold? I was just curious...

1178260920_bcf1f94410_o.png

I also made a reversed version of the logo so the funnel is facing forward on both sides...

1175946583_e696755204_o.png

Doafhat, those helmets are great from my non-designer perspective. They are very distinctive, incorporate the cyclone, and are not too far away from ISU's recent helmets. I don't know why, but I like the yellow version better.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

1178260920_bcf1f94410_o.png

I also made a reversed version of the logo so the funnel is facing forward on both sides...

1175946583_e696755204_o.png

If this design was option #4 on the list of helmet, i would choose this one

Archived