ESPN "30 FOR 30" Series

dfwabel

Because of the MLB game tonight went really late on the East Coast, the majority of the US failed to see this aired as they were watching TBS. I honestly do not even know if ESPN pulled it tonight, but it will be aired on Wednesday at 10 PM on ESPN (according to their website).

King's Ransom Trailer

I think we should try to keep a conversation on these films since many people cannot see "HBO Real Sports" or dares to talk about them.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I and my college friends did not go out during "SportsCentury", the ESPN docs I really want to see are:

"The Band That Wouldn't Die" since Barry Levinson did it.

"The U"

"Muhammad and Larry" Larry Holmes is too underrated as a fighter and as a man

"One Simple Gesture" 1995 Rugby World Cup

"The Two Escobars" 1994 FIFA World Cup

There is not summary, but if you can see the photos, you know what thy are about. I hope that they are HBO quality and not rushed. Most of their stories are old enough to do an acceptable job, especially for the dead.

I checked out the Sports Guy's column on 30 in 30 today. It sounds like it's going to be really good.

You mean to tell me there's people with reasonably functioning brains that still read his crap?

Hmmm...that's funny. I thought 'round these parts the line was,

O NOES!132 ESPN IZ DA DEVUL!!#4546

I saw the Kings Ransom flick. I loved it. I wonder what would have happened if McNall hadn't pulled a Madoff. Would the Kings have had the scratch to put the deal together? It's such a shame that Gretzky never won another Cup...especially since the Oilers won one without him a couple years after the trade.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah, the only movie so far that I'm really gonna make a point to watch will be the documentary on The U. Other than that, most of these are interesting. I haven't seen Kings Ransom yet, but it sounds interesting. Who knows, maybe there will be a few diamonds in the rough here.

I checked out the Sports Guy's column on 30 in 30 today. It sounds like it's going to be really good.

You mean to tell me there's people with reasonably functioning brains that still read his crap?

Good point. Actually the headline about his column on the ESPN web site caught my attention. It said something to the effect that the Sports Ass-Clown was writing about 30 IN 30. For once, he wrote about something I was interested in reading.

BB52Big.jpg

My, Robert Irsay does not come out of "The Band that wouldn't Die" looking well at all.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe that Simmons' did produce a few of these, but I just looked at the Colts Band one. The Robert Irsay press footage when he was allegedly "intoxicated" was amazing. Hearing Jim Irsay talking about it was even more eye opening.

These are not HBO quality, but very good; more like PBS's "Frontline" than 60 Minutes.

My, Robert Irsay does not come out of "The Band that wouldn't Die" looking well at all.

Robert Irsay may be one of the five top sports villains of all time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No doubt he was well-preserved upon his demise, though. Yikes. Also never knew about the Jacksonville flirtation.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Next week, "Who Killed The USFL?". Trump has already ripped this.

500x_trump.jpg

All those who are here and very young, look DVR this.

Who Killed the USFL Promo

In 1983 the upstart United States Football League (USFL) had the audacity to challenge the almighty NFL. The new league did the unthinkable by playing in the spring and plucked three straight Heisman Trophy winners away from the NFL. The 12-team USFL played before crowds that averaged 25,000, and started off with respectable TV ratings. But with success came expansion and new owners, including a certain high profile and impatient real estate baron whose vision was at odds with the league’s founders. Soon, the USFL was reduced to waging a desperate anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL, which yielded an ironic verdict that effectively forced the league out of business. Now, almost a quarter of a century later, Academy Award-nominated and Peabody Award-winning director Mike Tollin, himself once a chronicler of the league, will showcase the remarkable influence of those three years on football history and attempt to answer the question, “Who Killed the USFL?”

The one from last night about the Colts band was great. I had always known the story of what happened, but as I was born in 1985, I didn't really see the little details. This was a great documentary, and I for one will say if any of my teams were to pull this off, I would be LIVID!

It just seems odd that the city that had its heart ripped out when its team left ripped another city's heart out by stealing their team.

It's not like the people of Baltimore got together to conspire to steal the Browns out from under their fans. Blame that on the politicians and Moddell. That being said, if you've always wanted a team in your city to root for, and after all those years, one is right in front of you, no rational fan would say "nah, this isn't how I wanted it to happen. We'll just wait for 20 more years until the league expands to us." I find it very difficult for anyone outside of Cleveland to harbor any resentment towards the citizens of Baltimore for this one... and even Clevelanders hatin' on anyone from Baltimore isn't really rational.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What happened with Moddell and Irsay is Apples and Oranges, Irsay seemed to just be upset he was not well liked in Baltimore, while Moddell was upset that Cleveland built Gund Arena, Jacobbs Field and the RnR HOF and did not have plans for a new football stadium.

It seemed as if Irsay was underhanded and sneaky and would not even talk to the City of Baltimore. Cleveland on the other hand underestimated Moddell's desire for a new stadium and they were partly to blame.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

In Irsay's very slight defense, it appears when he decided to make the move it was intended to preempt a (presumably imminent) eminent domain seizure of the team by Baltimore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's no excuse Baltimore was only doing that because of Irsay's actions going to Jacksonville and all. It seems one of his main reasons for moving was he felt unappreciated, which is an utter joke.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived