ESPN "30 FOR 30" Series

dfwabel

We now have a new leader for the best doc. "June 17th, 1994" just blew everything out of the water IMO

Really? I had the opposite feeling...that this just wasn't up to par with the others.

I was glued. A+!

I was glued, too. But in the informative side, I really didn't learn anything new, like I have with most of the other documentaries. I wasn't wowed like I've been with some of the documentaries.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought last night's 30 for 30 was better than Invictus. My only gripe was Morgan Freeman as narrator. I know Morgan Freeman was in Invictus, but ever since he narrated Shawshank he's been the go-to guy for story-telling voice overs. He's almost too good and has become a cliche.

If your gripe is Morgan Freeman as narrator, the problem isn't with Morgan Freeman. The problem is with you. :P

Morgan Freeman's involvement in any project makes that project immediately better. The guy is the gold standard in acting and voice work. He's simply one of the all-time greats.

Isn't that like an officially proven scientific algorithm? I believe it looks like this:

Project (X) + Morgan Freeman's Voice (Y) = :D (Better)

Exactly.

BB52Big.jpg

I thought last night's 30 for 30 was better than Invictus. My only gripe was Morgan Freeman as narrator. I know Morgan Freeman was in Invictus, but ever since he narrated Shawshank he's been the go-to guy for story-telling voice overs. He's almost too good and has become a cliche.

If your gripe is Morgan Freeman as narrator, the problem isn't with Morgan Freeman. The problem is with you. :P

Morgan Freeman's involvement in any project makes that project immediately better. The guy is the gold standard in acting and voice work. He's simply one of the all-time greats.

I don't disagree. I think the guy is fantastic and he could read a user's manual and make it sound interesting, but he can't do voiceovers for everything.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Of course not. That's where Keith David comes in.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We now have a new leader for the best doc. "June 17th, 1994" just blew everything out of the water IMO

Really? I had the opposite feeling...that this just wasn't up to par with the others.

I was glued. A+!

I was glued, too. But in the informative side, I really didn't learn anything new, like I have with most of the other documentaries. I wasn't wowed like I've been with some of the documentaries.

I was in last night's "film" too primarily because it had no narration, just raw video (with subtitles) and a timeline. The downside is that anyone who had multiple VCRs then or had access local L.A footage, may have been able to create the same thing.

While I was 19 at the time, just the chase and game 5 were the items which I remember about the day (that and thinking that OJ was going to off himself). I had no idea of the broadcaster's joke. I also forgot that USA '94 started that day, but I remember the game.

1-I watched it on Univision.

2-It was Germany v. Boliva

3-Bolivian national/future DC United star Marco Etcheverry got a Red Card.

4-During the opening ceremony Jon Secada (remember him) fell through the stage and later it was revealed he suffered a dislocated shoulder.

USFL could fill five hours and still not be complete, I would be interested in a full accounting of their history.

http://usfl.info/

(Thanks, Mac)

Gotta love the typo, which makes their rigged draft story seem so reliable:

USFL.INFO was launched on May 11, 2007, the 25th anniversary of the press conference at "21" in New York City announcing the launch of the United Statse Football League.

As for Morgan Freeman, Family Guy getting him to parody himself with this voiceover sums it up:

Ever since I was a little boy, people have enjoyed the sound of my voice. And I figured you either get busy talkin or you get busy dyin'. The work is really quite easy. Why even right now I'm just sitting in a chair, sipping some tea and reading from a script. The wall is covered in something that resembles egg crates except they're soft and spongy, like a twinkie...like a twinkie.

sig-1.png

I had only seen "Who killed the USFL?" and "Striaght outta LA" (sp?) but this one just had me from the beginning. Who knew so many things of such magnitude happened that day.

I was only 6 years old on June 17th, 1994, and even I remember watching the OJ chase with my dad and his brothers. I knew about the NBA finals role in the whole thing, but I didn't know that that many other events happened that day including the Rangers parade, the opening of the world cup, Arnie's last day at the US Open, the horribly off-color joke in the Seattle-KC baseball game. That was one of the better docs in this whole thing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

the horribly off-color joke in the Seattle-KC baseball game.

These days, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to keep their job after a comment like that.

(Keep in mind, however, this was during a Royals' broadcast, so very few were likely offended. :P )

6uXNWAo.png

These days, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to keep their job after a comment like that.

(Keep in mind, however, it was a Royals' broadcast, so very few were likely offended. :P )

I only caught the last half hour of this one. What did the announcer say?

(Keep in mind, however, it was a Royals' broadcast, so very few were likely offended. :P )

I only caught the last half hour of this one. What did the announcer say?

I don't remember what he said word-for-word, but it was something to the extent of O.J. going 2-under at the U.S. Open.

6uXNWAo.png

I would like to officially take that back. "Two Escobars" was effing awesome

Something we can agree upon.

Something we can agree upon.

This one was just an absolute stunner. It is an honest-to-God must-watch. As someone who was 15 when that game happened, and only understood at the time that USA winning = good and Colombia = drugs = bad, man, what an eye-opener. This film tops "June 17, 1994", and my previous favorite, "Muhammad and Larry".

If you're the sort of person who can't handle "reading a movie", though, I suggest you don't bother, as the film is about 95% subtitled. Go lay out 10 bucks to see Sandler make tinkle jokes instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow, a thread mentioning ESPN that hasn't resulted in "ZOMG, ESPN iz teh suxxxorzzz!!@#$%324535" That's different?

I'm loving this series. I can't honestly pick a "best" out of the bunch. All to often, we look at the last one as the best because we just saw it, but "The Two Escobars" :censored:ing rocked it. It was quite chilling to see the footage of the two men's bloodied lifeless bodies just lying there. I was a little miffed how it sort of presented Pablo as a sympathetic figure at the end, kind of linking him in martyrdom with Andres at the hands of the evil PEPEs. If ever any mother:censored:er deserved the fate he received, it was Pablo Escobar.

Anyway, they are really outdoing themselves with each successive flick. I honestly doubt The Birth of Big Air will be able to live up to The Two Escobars, but I didn't think that would live up to June 17, 1994...so what do I know? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

USFL could fill five hours and still not be complete, I would be interested in a full accounting of their history.

http://usfl.info/

(Thanks, Mac)

Gotta love the typo, which makes their rigged draft story seem so reliable:

USFL.INFO was launched on May 11, 2007, the 25th anniversary of the press conference at "21" in New York City announcing the launch of the United Statse Football League.

Typos are pretty much the only flaws on the site... well, that plus there's at least one entire team section I never got around to finishing. LOL

The rigged draft story though is absolutely legitimate - my sources for it were rather high on the USFL's food chain, and were directly involved in the shenanigans that took place.

nav-logo.png

Wow, a thread mentioning ESPN that hasn't resulted in "ZOMG, ESPN iz teh suxxxorzzz!!@#$%324535" That's different?

I'm loving this series. I can't honestly pick a "best" out of the bunch. All to often, we look at the last one as the best because we just saw it, but "The Two Escobars" :censored:ing rocked it. It was quite chilling to see the footage of the two men's bloodied lifeless bodies just lying there. I was a little miffed how it sort of presented Pablo as a sympathetic figure at the end, kind of linking him in martyrdom with Andres at the hands of the evil PEPEs. If ever any mother:censored:er deserved the fate he received, it was Pablo Escobar.

Anyway, they are really outdoing themselves with each successive flick. I honestly doubt The Birth of Big Air will be able to live up to The Two Escobars, but I didn't think that would live up to June 17, 1994...so what do I know? :P

And that is why many posters here have to watch the documentary, "Hunting Pablo Escobar".

The editing of game footage was very mixed in between games and years, but I enjoyed it. Andres Escobar's sister...keepin' it together.

I cant wait for the one about Steve Bartman and the 2003 cubs. i really hope it gives a good perspective of Bartman and shows how unfairly he was treated. Also, I hope i get to see my house in it, since I lived on the same street as Bartman when it happened

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived