Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And evidently there's some talks of Notre Dame joining the Big XII for everything but football. Doesn't seem of high likelihood, probably just ND looking for a way out of the Big East.

If that were to happen, one thing's for sure: their baseball team would get slaughtered.

spacer.png

Rutgers needs to get out now. If the every want to try and be a reasonable college football program, they need to get out now.

You need someone to want to take you first. Rutgers being utterly inept historically at sports and the general lack of interest as a result in NJ has them looking in from the outside. Their only hope is that Notre Dame decides to leave and Rutgers rides their coat tails.

Rutgers could very well wind up in the ACC attached to UConn. They kind of balance each other; UConn is good athletic school, but not academically, and Rutgers is the exact opposite.

I believe that the number 14 should be the magical number for the big-time conferences. Do away with the Big East football conference first, then have the remainder of the Big East (West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, and South Florida) join the Big 12 and bring in BYU. The Big Ten should wrap up their goal of attaining the NYC market with Rutgers and UConn. The ACC and the SEC could definitely stay where they are. The Pac-12 (even though Cal and Stanford would hate it) could draw in Boise State and (this one is quite out there) Hawaii. While that may a little out there... the markets are manageable, there's a decent balance of high academics and high athletics, it could also allow a Mountain West/C-USA confederation to attain an at-large bid, and keep Norte Dame independent.

Please feel free to call me crazy. Haha.

I believe that the number 14 should be the magical number for the big-time conferences. Do away with the Big East football conference first, then have the remainder of the Big East (West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, and South Florida) join the Big 12 and bring in BYU. The Big Ten should wrap up their goal of attaining the NYC market with Rutgers and UConn. The ACC and the SEC could definitely stay where they are. The Pac-12 (even though Cal and Stanford would hate it) could draw in Boise State and (this one is quite out there) Hawaii. While that may a little out there... the markets are manageable, there's a decent balance of high academics and high athletics, it could also allow a Mountain West/C-USA confederation to attain an at-large bid, and keep Norte Dame independent.

Boise State is basically zero on the academic scale.

Technically it is in the sense of Big 12 Country. But what I fail to understand is that how much more isolated (in the sense of middle of nowhere) is Morgantown compared to College Station (TX), Lawrence and Manhattan (KS), and even his own Stillwater, OK?

College Station is in a reasonably well-populated part of Texas that is fairly accessible to Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio

Stillwater's fairly close to Oklahoma City

Lawrence is just east of Topeka and pretty close to Kansas City

Manhattan's furthest out, but it's not completely isolated.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Understood. Hence the whole balance/pipe dream talk. However, I wouldn't think there would be a decent substitute that has more of an academic profile than that of a 'junior college on steriods' like a BSU, would there? Just curious more than anything.

And only good in football, can't see the Pac-12 letting them in for those two reasons as we've discussed before.

Here's a pretty good article on this whole Big XII/WVU/Louisville Soap Opera:

Louisville and WVU both eyeing Big XII

And only good in football, can't see the Pac-12 letting them in for those two reasons as we've discussed before.

Heh, instead of picking one or the other...wouldn't it be a lot easier to just to pick up both and drag Cincy along also?

Heh, instead of picking one or the other...wouldn't it be a lot easier to just to pick up both and drag Cincy along also?

Easier? Easier in the sense that all the drama, paperwork, press, logistics, scheduling, conflicts, and contracts associated with ONE school leaving a conference to join another... three times over? Sure. "Easier."

I do love how there was a huge storm of rumors and news stories about Missouri's imminent move to the SEC at the start of the week. Now the last 2 days, there has been nothing about Missouri. I feel like this is what happened with Texas A&M.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Apparently the Big XII is hesitant of jumping up to 12 teams. I know earlier reports stated that if Missouri left, then they were going for 12, but if they didn't then they'd stay at 10 for awhile. For some reason after reading that article, it seems like the Big XII is eyeballing someone else, they make a point of stating there might be another school out there that replaces Missouri. Whatever the case is, it seems that Missouri's departure is just a short matter of time now. They might be holding off on making an actual announcement until Missouri makes an announcement. I think it looks kinda bad to announce a team as another team's replacement in your conference when that team is still in your conference.

Only in college football does a league called the Big Twelve (XII) display/express hesitance at having 12 teams.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Apparently at least OU an maybe others want 12, but Texas wants 10. Looks like this rivalry is becoming more about power than football games. Maybe even more than actual money.

Well, 12 teams dilutes the value of The Longhorn Network. So it makes sense why Texas is in favor of 10 teams. 12 teams at least give you a legitimate AQ bid for the BCS. 10 teams is pushing it, even if you have Texas and Oklahoma.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Apparently at least OU an maybe others want 12, but Texas wants 10. Looks like this rivalry is becoming more about power than football games. Maybe even more than actual money.

Well, 12 teams dilutes the value of The Longhorn Network. So it makes sense why Texas is in favor of 10 teams. 12 teams at least give you a legitimate AQ bid for the BCS. 10 teams is pushing it, even if you have Texas and Oklahoma.

Does it? I was under the impression that the more teams you add, the more tvs you add, meaning you'll get more money. Now, from what I heard and I don't if it's official, the Big XII is going to have even revenue sharing so in a sense it means less money for Texas which is probably why they don't want to do it.

Seems like Texas is really trying to strangle-hold the Big XII still. Last year it was Colorado and Nebraska, this year is was Texas A&M and Mizzou-rah, any takers on who's bailing next year?

Does it? I was under the impression that the more teams you add, the more tvs you add, meaning you'll get more money. Now, from what I heard and I don't if it's official, the Big XII is going to have even revenue sharing so in a sense it means less money for Texas which is probably why they don't want to do it.

Seems like Texas is really trying to strangle-hold the Big XII still. Last year it was Colorado and Nebraska, this year is was Texas A&M and Mizzou-rah, any takers on who's bailing next year?

Well, more schools means more viewers, for a Big XII Conference Network. But we are talking about the Longhorn Network. The stronger the Conference Network gets, the weaker TLN gets.