Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Where will ND end up? Times are changing. They have to go somewhere.

They'll stay independent, 'cause "football independence is a vital part of their identity as a university".

Which is Higher-Up Speak for 'NBC just gave us a 10-year, $250 Billion dollar TV deal, bitches!'

(sigh) Why can't things just stay the same? Change isn't always good.

No, change isn't always good, but change is inevitable...which answers your initial question. :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

VCU is officially joining the Atlantic 10.

Source says the reason Mason's staying in CAA is because the A-10 was only looking for one more school to replace Charlotte (as Butler is replacing Temple), and VCU got the nod.

That VCU-Richmond rivalry will be AMAZING, I can tell...

Oh it is my friend, it is... The black & blue rivalry is in full swing again!!!

baltimoreravens.png

Saw a quick segment on ESPN where the president of Florida State listed some pros and cons of staying in the ACC or joing the Big XII. Can't find a link at the moment, but honestly staying in the ACC sounds like a better bet. The FSU president made it seem like the Texas Longhorns own the friggin Big XII.

Looking for link BRB

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Saw a quick segment on ESPN where the president of Florida State listed some pros and cons of staying in the ACC or joing the Big XII. Can't find a link at the moment, but honestly staying in the ACC sounds like a better bet. The FSU president made it seem like the Texas Longhorns own the friggin Big XII.

Looking for link BRB

That is not the full text of the president' statement as he also talked about the four major issues which the BoT and alumni have given him in the last two weeks.

The full text is at this link.

VCU is officially joining the Atlantic 10.

Source says the reason Mason's staying in CAA is because the A-10 was only looking for one more school to replace Charlotte (as Butler is replacing Temple), and VCU got the nod.

That VCU-Richmond rivalry will be AMAZING, I can tell...

So three weeks ago, the Lenn Robbins' tweet was only 50% correct"

George Mason and VCU to the A-10 on May 1.. Butler probably... The Post has learned.

If the CAA exit fee is only $250K, how much NCAA Tournament money is VCU leaving on the table since the CAA uses a formula for distributing shares based on regular season champions, CAA tournament Champions, and NCAA/NIT performance? The Final Four shares are paid out over six years.

If the CAA exit fee is only $250K, how much NCAA Tournament money is VCU leaving on the table since the CAA uses a formula for distributing shares based on regular season champions, CAA tournament Champions, and NCAA/NIT performance? The Final Four shares are paid out over six years.

We're giving up approximately $800k per year to make the jump.

I for one am not thrilled about the move. All of the hype surrounding the A-14 (14 teams - prestige of BCS affiliation = A-14) depends on Butler returning to the back-to-back National Championship Game form they had a couple seasons ago with three NBA players on their roster, Xavier not taking a step back, and all of those other programs making significant strides. And even then, all of the teams will just beat up on each other. Think of what goes on in the NFC East, only in college basketball.

The VCU-TICK rivalry will be the same, only it will be played twice a season instead of just once. UR has no fan base, so that rivalry is only intense when the TICKS play at VCU.

Ticks? I guess that is a cute little insult towards Richmond fans... you know, the 20-30 fans the Spiders have (compared to the 40-60 the Black and Gold Lambs get).

Either way, it seems kind of weird that VCU is willing to give up the money to be in a bigger conference, but DCDuck is right: The Atlantic 10 (Plus 4) is hanging it's hopes on Butler returning to form and Xavier now being the flagship school. Both of them fail and it blows up in their face.

I didn't think it was gonna be that quick. I'm starting to wonder if something's going on in the CAA?

Nothing is going on, but the CAA has a clause that lets them ban any school that plans to leave from the conference tournament.

15 is a hell of an awkward number to work with.

Seadragon that's kind of funny - except VCU was one of only five programs (out of 343) in D1 to sell out every home game last season.

FCS smack talk. :lol:

You hear that Grambling & Southern? Harvard & Yale? Knock it off... only schools with an athletic budget that rivals the GNP of third world countries get to have passionate fan bases! :D

FCS smack talk. :lol:

You hear that Grambling & Southern? Harvard & Yale? Knock it off... only schools with an athletic budget that rivals the GNP of third world countries get to have passionate fan bases! :D

Actually, yes. More passion equals more money.

Derrick Brooks says the Big 12 and FSU has been talking.

He has rank

I also read some tweets from Greg Swaim. Take it for what it's worth but he tweeted this.

"# Big12 already formulating plan to help cash strapped # FSU buyout of # ACC deal, if needed. No word on other schools possible buyouts."

"Per Brian Ethridge. 10 teams have called Big XII to open dialogue. Seven of them coming from the ACC. One from Big East. One independent"

Whether it be the Big XII or Big Ten or even the SEC....I can totally see NC State wanting out of the ACC if a big-time conference calls on them. They're basically in a position like Texas A&M was with the Big XII: always overshadowed by "big brother" North Carolina. I think NC State, despite all their traditions and history and such, will be the next ACC school to leave the conference. I'm almost positive that they're one of the 7 ACC schools with an interest in the Big XII.

The independent school is most likely BYU....Notre Dame may be interested, but they'll want the conference to come after them.

Not sure who that Big East school would be....gotta figure it's Cincinnati or Louisville. I'm not sure South Florida has enough clout....they're just now finding their way in the Big East.

The 7 ACC schools.....probably NC State, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Virginia. I'm not sure Georgia Tech would want to go to the Big XII....they're either heading for the Big Ten or staying in the ACC. Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest aren't leaving. Boston College likely isn't wanting to leave now that Pitt and Syracuse are coming in.

We all know who that mystery 10th team is.....Boise State. There's a reason why only the football team is playing in the Big East....BSU has to believe that there's a really good shot that the Big East may not be around much longer, at least in the football spectrum. BSU doesn't want to get left out in the cold.