Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

SI's Pete Thamel,

Interviews with sources from the Big 12, the television industry and schools involved in the expansion process indicate the league’s most likely outcome is not expanding.

Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/10/14/big-12-expansion-unlikely

41 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

A Big XII press conference is scheduled for 6:30 PM/Eastern tonight. 

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211228756&DB_OEM_ID=10410

As much as I'd like to see them expand to Florida (slightly selfishly), I have a gut feeling expansion's not happening.

I guess not expanding is better than being left out.

17 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Seems like Cincy and BYU got the call. It's all happening????

FOX Sports President Eric Shanks to Sports Business Journal:

“We don’t think expansion in the Big 12 is a good idea for the conference. We think it will be dilutive to the product in the short term. In the long term, it’s probably harmful to the future of the conference. Who knows where expansion is going to go. Reading the smoke signals, [expansion talk has] cooled off. I don’t know why. We’re still in discussions with them. We still have a long way to go in the deal. We’ll work through it the best way that we can.”

EDIT: The school presidents have already met and adjourned their meeting.  Whatever is done is already done. 

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

“We don’t think expansion in the Big 12 is a good idea for the conference. We think it will be dilutive to the product in the short term. In the long term, it’s probably harmful to the future of the conference. Who knows where expansion is going to go. Reading the smoke signals, [expansion talk has] cooled off. I don’t know why. We’re still in discussions with them. We still have a long way to go in the deal. We’ll work through it the best way that we can.”

I don't think this is correct. IIRC many of the expansion candidates have been competitive with the Big 12 when playing them. I'll have to pull up the tweet I saw earlier.

Here it is (albeit ESPN): 

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

12 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I don't think this is correct. IIRC many of the expansion candidates have been competitive with the Big 12 when playing them. I'll have to pull up the tweet I saw earlier.

Go 3/4th down the page.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/17/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

And there also is a SI.com story by Pete Thamel I posted last Friday upthread.

And FWIW, Chip Brown has tweeted out within the hour. It is FWIW as there has old tweets in his timeline from 2010 on this post to illustrate when he got it wrong. 

NBC Sports' Rob Dauster also heard from his sources "No expansion".

Edited by dfwabel
Added Dauster

40 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Yea, I noticed that just as I was posting, though the point I was trying to make is that the reasoning from the TV partners that expansion would dilute the Big 12 is flawed.

Basically, there's no telling exactly what's going to happen until we hear it, given the Big 12's history of flip-flopping RE: Expansion and this being a Chip Brown post. That said, I'm not holding my breath on expansion.

Edited by DustDevil61
Clarification and Big 12 flip-flops

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 2 weeks later...

This is the probably for the best for the Big XII. If Oklahoma ended up playing Iowa State in the championship when Baylor or TCU had better conference records it'd hurt their chances for the playoffs. If they don't announce expansion in the next few years though, they might start cannibalizing themselves. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Waiting for OU and OSU to effectively play Bedlam twice in two weeks, split, and knock each other out of the playoffs.

This WILL happen.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Waiting for OU and OSU to effectively play Bedlam twice in two weeks, split, and knock each other out of the playoffs.

This WILL happen.

This will be the end of the Big 12.  They were stupid to not expand.

Yes, the sexy teams were not there to choose, but unless you have more kids at the table you cant grow.

Many were concerned about the SEC cannibalizing themselves out of a national championship contender when they started playing the conference championship game in 1992.  Far more often than not, it hasn't gone that way.  The team that was closer to being a national championship participant has won the SEC title game more often than not.  The lone instances I can think of was the 2001 season when LSU took down #2 (I think) Tennessee and the year when Freddy Millons went crazy for Alabama against a highly-ranked Florida team....

15 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Many were concerned about the SEC cannibalizing themselves out of a national championship contender when they started playing the conference championship game in 1992.  Far more often than not, it hasn't gone that way.  The team that was closer to being a national championship participant has won the SEC title game more often than not.  The lone instances I can think of was the 2001 season when LSU took down #2 (I think) Tennessee and the year when Freddy Millons went crazy for Alabama against a highly-ranked Florida team....

The Big Twelve has had far worse luck on that front.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Big Twelve has had far worse luck on that front.

I wonder if this is a big part of the reason why they didn't expand. They can still have a championship game and get the revenue that way, but do it between the top two teams. The way things have gone lately, both of those top two teams have been in the playoff picture. It may be that they wanted the winner of the championship game, even if it was the lower-ranked team in the season, still have a shot at the playoff.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Personally I would love to see Oklahoma & Oklahoma State bolt for the SEC. You could have them join Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri & Texas A&M in the West with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee & Vanderbilt in the East.