dfwabel

Division 1 College Conference Realignment

Recommended Posts

Mini rant-

- Hope I'm alive to see 4 geographic super conferences.  Probably 20-30 in each.  One day with 8 team national playoff, automatically reward the 2 division winners of each of those 4 conferences.  Playoffs would still be 1 v 8, etc, with home field advantages until the Football Final Four.

- As an ACC supporter (FSU fan), I'd enjoy seeing them branch their championship game north (& south for that matter).  I know travel is a btich, & playing in the Carolinas is neutral enough- I'd like to see them back up their Atlantic foothold with title game in the likes of Syracuse, Foxborough, & even Miami.  Hell, if Notre Dame is willing, play it there also; go big or go home.  Weather be damned, it's f'n football.  It bugs me that the Pac12 can claim the Pacific coast to itself without reservation while the ACC twiddles its thumbs ever pretending that it's the state of Florida & everyone else when they're lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

- As an ACC supporter (FSU fan), I'd enjoy seeing them branch their championship game north (& south for that matter).  I know travel is a btich, & playing in the Carolinas is neutral enough- I'd like to see them back up their Atlantic foothold with title game in the likes of Syracuse, Foxborough, & even Miami.

Counterpoint to moving it away from Charlotte:

acc_championship_game_crowd_view_2007_em

If you move the game to a location that isn't centralized, this is the risk you run. Sure, Charlotte has been pretty fortuitous with the matchups over the last 5 years, but more likely than not, someone close to the city is going to win their division. Imagine for a moment the glorious prospect of a FSU-Miami championship game... in Boston. I'm not sure fans in Tallahassee would like to make that trip, and a traveling Miami fan base can be fickle even in prosperity. The quality of the conference has increased tremendously from the time of the picture above, but not enough that the game can prosper up north. I think what would be best now is to establish a permanent location where you can build up the game's prestige, not unlike the SEC Championship. Of course since the conference is expanded across the east coast and now further west, every member institution won't be truly happy with Charlotte, but it's best for right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Counterpoint to moving it away from Charlotte:

If you move the game to a location that isn't centralized, this is the risk you run. 

I think it's an ACC non-concern which is more of a pride thing for me than it.  It just seems ridiculous that they're still seen as a bastard stepchild of the power 5, when the schools they hold + geographic positioning should prove otherwise.  

Chicken & egg - they need to become much more mainstream solidified to hold title games up & down the east coast but they need to be a much more valued entity to make it work.  fml

Of course, reality would tell me that to see stuff like that occur, the conference would probably have be in the worst shape of its life, grasping at desperate straws to find newness.

On to Charlotte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Mini rant-

- Hope I'm alive to see 4 geographic super conferences.  Probably 20-30 in each.  One day with 8 team national playoff, automatically reward the 2 division winners of each of those 4 conferences.  Playoffs would still be 1 v 8, etc, with home field advantages until the Football Final Four.

 

There are currently 65 "Power 5" schools and 128 FBS schools overall.  Even if you break up the Power 5 into four groups of 20, are there really 15 additional schools who are financially able to compete with the current 65?  After looking at the 20 who are getting the opportunity to state their case to the Big XII, are 15 of them really able to sustain competitive programs?  Teams 76-80 or 81-120 are not increasing TV viewing or the gate for a current Power 5 and will further increase student fees to bolster their budgets even more. 

 

Or to bring it back, if you had 120 schools, which eight schools would you cut? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Or to bring it back, if you had 120 schools, which eight schools would you cut? 

80 would be nice, except once those 4 super regional conferences launched, everyone else would be left beyond in the dust.  I don't think such an inevitable macro/national realignment would want to leave anyone in the ditch- we're still talking about amateur collegiate athletics here.  

It'd be those 4 FBS conferences & barely any other program alive.

I thought about promotion/relegation, which could also be a slim possibility.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

80 would be nice, except once those 4 super regional conferences launched, everyone else would be left beyond in the dust.  I don't think such an inevitable macro/national realignment would want to leave anyone in the ditch- we're still talking about amateur collegiate athletics here.  

It'd be those 4 FBS conferences & barely any other program alive.

I thought about promotion/relegation, which could also be a slim possibility.  

The Power 5 already has autonomy so that they can pass rules on their own without the backing of other NCAA Division 1 member conferences.

 

Both Mark Emmert and Oliver Luck realize that having a one-size fits all structure is challenging when athletic budgets range from $10 million at one school to the $120 million at others. Then we get into issues like not all these Group of 5 schools can afford to offer as many sports as those in say the B1G , ACC and Pac-12 offer (SEC and Big XII offer less than the other P5).

 

Power 5 autonomy is just the progression of the 1973 decision to make three Divisions and the 1976 formation of the CFA. No need to give "social promotions" to poor performing, know that half of Sun Belt and C-USA schools are not covering the offer full cost of attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East Carolina, you do not have what it takes to become America's Next Power 5 Program:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I wonder why Boise missed the cut. They'd be competitive in football and basketball.

Academically, Boise State isn't the most prestigious school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayouJim said:

Academically, Boise State isn't the most prestigious school.

Exactly.  Boise only offers seven terminal (doctoral) degrees and it's 2,200 miles from Morgantown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference will not move forward with expansion. The Minnesota State will stay in the WCHA for now and Arizona State is still looking for a hockey home.

 

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/8/31/12734222/nchc-says-no-to-expansion-from-arizona-state-and-minnesota-state

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Geoff said:

In other news, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference will not move forward with expansion. The Minnesota State will stay in the WCHA for now and Arizona State is still looking for a hockey home.

 

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/8/31/12734222/nchc-says-no-to-expansion-from-arizona-state-and-minnesota-state

I went to one of the games that ASU played against UMass Lowell last year. ASU played hard for two periods, then got really chippy after that. They scored the first goal before ultimately losing 8-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Work!!!  Now team up with the guys in Orlando and make a tandem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel as though it's already decided. Houston and Cincinnati are in and the conference is just stringing the other along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

I feel as though it's already decided. Houston and Cincinnati are in and the conference is just stringing the other along.

I'm starting to think it's Memphis and Cincinnati.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm starting to think it's Memphis and Cincinnati.

You're probably right. Houston's convincing win over Oklahoma might have scared some Big XII folks and taken them out of the running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm starting to think it's Memphis and Cincinnati.

Memphis is out ans has been for a week.

 

Their administration is using the nondisclosure agreement with the Big XII as their reason not to admit it publicly.

 

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/University-of-Memphis-not-among-Big-12-expansion-finalists-ESPN-reports-392168051.html?d=mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.