Maine Black Bears

Sigma Kappa

Hey guys, here is my latest design. I was bored so I tried to come up with something new for University of Maine, which current athletic logo I personally don't like.

....so what do you think?

current logo

Maine_Black_Bears_13.gif

....my attempt

MaineBlackBears1.png

MaineBlackBears2.png

...thank you for viewing guys!

sks7copy-4.png

Definate upgrade, but the left side of his face is bothering me. There's not alot of facial definition going on, but I see that you've atleast tried to create an idea of where that side of the face may be. I'd try to thicken up some of those lines and maybe create bigger shapes to add some perspective. Other than that, it's great.

I absolutely love this! kind of parallel to the redesign I just did for my school, Kennesaw State.

So far the script and logo look good. I think the thing that is bothering me about the left side is that we cant see the other eye. you could probably make another white piece in there to be the eye...and still keep the black-shadow area in tact.

also, could you present this stuff on a flat white background first...and then put the final versions in a detailed presentation? right now, obviously, the colors are drowned out by all of the detail and stuff.

I also might just drop the "University of" script. Right now it doesn't look too college-esque, but rather something you might see on a movie poster. again, the details...like the shadows and backgrounds, could be manipulating our perception of that.

with that said, the Maine script part is great.

In my humble opinion your second version is a huge step backwards compared to your first. The second eye is just throwing everything off for me. Much MUCH prefer your first attempt.

If I was to add more detail to the left side of the face and to be quite honest I'm not sure it's even necessary, I'd look at adding something on the left cheek and perhaps increase the size of the brow highlight on that side a little. I'd also look at making them blue rather than white. But I'd remove the white of the eye because as it's drawn right now the eye on the right looks very deep set beneath a strong brow and I'd be inclined to think that would leave the left eye socket in a deep shadow naturally, so adding a visible white to that eye is going to throw off the perspective and make that side of the face appear distorted. So perhaps a slightly larger brow highlight and a slight highlight at the top of the cheek to define the eye socket would work better than the white of the eye itself.

I like the idea of the claw slashes on the Logotype but I'm just not convinced by their current placement, they seem to fighting pretty badly with the flow of the M and disrupting legibility. Perhaps they look better positioned at the bottom of the text. Interesting typographical tidbit, if you split type through the middle and remove the bottoms of the letters almost everyone will still be able to read the sentence but the percentage drops dramatically when it's the top that is removed. So with that in mind perhaps the best place would be to have them go through the NE at the end of Maine angled thus \\\ that way people will have almost completed reading it before any disruption to the letters is encountered.

Huge upgrade over what they have just know which honestly has to be one of the worst sports logos I think I've ever seen!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

maybe try the highlights in blue...the white highlights just look odd to me....if there were white highlights in the shadowed section, there would be white highlights in the lighted section as well, but there are none. keep the nose highlighted blue of course, just the showed "fur" highlights.

also try dropping the shadowed cheek/muzzle area down some...with the face on an angle, if you were to draw a line from the other muzzle area, the shadowed side is way too far up.

super great start.

footer_helmet.gif

I really like this. Great work and a HUGE upgrade.

Wow...it's hard to believe they actually paid money for their actual logo. When I first look at it, it looks more like a panther/cat-type face more than a bear. If I didn't know it was supposed to be a bear, I don't know if I would have made the right guess.

First things first, their current logo is Black, Graphite, Charcoal, Cinder, Gray, Light Gray, White, Red, Light Blue, etc. but their uniforms are all Navy/Light Blue/White. It makes little to no sense, but Navy and Light Blue are their colors. I would try to make this work on those colors instead of what you have here. Not your fault, as their current logo is confusing. I know people up here in Maine still like the logo, but I haven't enjoyed it at all for a while. Your redesign seems too round though. Too doughy and soft for a Black Bear. We want something tough, something powerful. Your logo isn't a bad rendering, I just wish it was more "in your face". Hope that makes sense. I like the "Maine" lettering, but everything else seems to not work. The "university of" lettering just looks tacked on, like an after-thought, and the bear head is too small for that lettering IMO. I like your bear a lot, I just feel it would work better for, like, an arena football team for example. It doesn't seem to fit Maine or work with what I think they would be looking for. Don't mean to seem harsh, just offering my opinion as a Maine resident and someone that has been around that university from time to time.

lol wow I had no idea so many people hated the Maine logo :(

its in my bottom 10...

I agree Brave Bird. Georgia State's "Panther" is also in my bottom 10. I've been a fan of this site for a long time, but just started posting. I loved your KSU rebrand...ever done one for GSU?

As far as this Maine concept, I think they would be foolish not to look at this.

i really like this for the most part. it is different than almost all other bear face logos ive seen. plus anything is better than that joke of a logo they currently use. i actually liked the first one before the eye white was added to the left side, bu i would bring that gray highlight (that i think is intended to be the brow) in towards the center of the face and make it white. right now having the white eye and the gray highlight so close to eachother are confusing. i think one or two of the gray highlights on the left would look better being that blueish color just to even out way the colors are dispersed throughout the whole logo.. right now the whole right part of the logo is blue and the left is too black and gray lacking the blue. overall this is very very nice though.

Archived