Tennessee NFL Rebrand

CAB

I've often wondered what the old Oilers franchise would look like now if they kept the same general identity. Mainly powder blue and red. I personally love those colors and I think navy compliments them well as a third color. So I decided to give my take on a more "modernized" Oilers identity, if you will. Some may think the old logo is iconic, and I agree. Howevuh. I do think it could work if it was updated as a more three-dimensional logo. I did that and placed it within a circle along with the 3 stars from the Tennesse flag. Those same stars find their way into the alternate logo, an oil drip in front of a T.

logosheet.png?t=1306207277

Let me know what you think and what could be improved upon. Uniforms will follow.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start on this CAB, I really miss the old Oilers colors. They were a classic. On to the concept, love the colors as already stated and love the primary. Not really following the point at the bottom of the primary though, maybe just go with a circle. Also in regards to the primary, the bars coming across horizontally extend past the vertical legs on the outside of the logo, but then at the center it's just a straight line and that looks kind of weird. Agree with Brave Bird about the secondary, it is a little plain but I like the idea behind it.

The wordmark needs a lot of work IMO. The red outline is very uneven and distracting. Also, you have the inside of the O outlined in red but not on the R, S, or E. Seems rather inconsistent. Not a real fan of the font either.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

wordmark and alternate are a bit basic for my tastes, i do really enjoy the update on the oil derrick but i didnt like the tennessee oilers name, when they changed to the titans i thought it fit really nicely and dont think that move should be questioned one bit, but thats just my opinion, still excited to see what you came up with for the jerseys

Man that primary logo is almost there, and I think an opportunity was missed. I like how you used the oil drop in the secondary logo, and I think you could use that oil drop in the primary. Right now you've got the oil rig (is that the name for it?) in a kind of upside down, fat drop. You could definitely fit the rig into the drop, so that the bottom of the rig was cut off by the bottom of the drop, and the top of the rig and top of the drop started to come together, if that makes sense.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I would think that combining the classic look of the Oilers' rig and the Tennessee 3-star circle would make a fantastic primary on it's own.

I like the 3D but it seems a bit minor league to me, especially when combined with the script and secondary logos.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Man that primary logo is almost there, and I think an opportunity was missed. I like how you used the oil drop in the secondary logo, and I think you could use that oil drop in the primary. Right now you've got the oil rig (is that the name for it?) in a kind of upside down, fat drop. You could definitely fit the rig into the drop, so that the bottom of the rig was cut off by the bottom of the drop, and the top of the rig and top of the drop started to come together, if that makes sense.

This was the first thing I thought of as well.

The oval shape of the primary could use a little tweaking I think. It could either represent the "O" for Oilers, by turning it into an actual O, or try to go for the oil drop look as others mentioned. Even if kept as is, the red stroke should be consistent. Right now I can see it being bit staggered due to the oil derrick.

I also keep looking at the bottom star and wishing the shading of the oil derrick was center aligned with it.

the script could be improved, and the alternate logo is a little generic looking.

but, I LOVE that primary logo...I cannot emphasize LOVE enough. Fantastic.

Thanks, any ideas on how to make the alternate less "generic"? It is pretty plain I will admit.

Great start on this CAB, I really miss the old Oilers colors. They were a classic. On to the concept, love the colors as already stated and love the primary. Not really following the point at the bottom of the primary though, maybe just go with a circle. Also in regards to the primary, the bars coming across horizontally extend past the vertical legs on the outside of the logo, but then at the center it's just a straight line and that looks kind of weird. Agree with Brave Bird about the secondary, it is a little plain but I like the idea behind it.

The wordmark needs a lot of work IMO. The red outline is very uneven and distracting. Also, you have the inside of the O outlined in red but not on the R, S, or E. Seems rather inconsistent. Not a real fan of the font either.

I can't believe I never noticed that about the horizontal bars, thanks for pointing it out. As far as the wordmark goes, the red outline is just thicker on the bottom so it would match the thicker outline on the logo. And the reason for no outline in the R, S, or E is because they had pretty thin strokes and I just didn't think it fit with the rest.

Aw man, the 3D oil derrick is insane. Great job on that! I love the balance of navy and light blue. I agree about the wordmark, though. It could use some work. Perhaps a font change would iimprove the alternate logo as well. Nice start on this!

Thanks man!

wordmark and alternate are a bit basic for my tastes, i do really enjoy the update on the oil derrick but i didnt like the tennessee oilers name, when they changed to the titans i thought it fit really nicely and dont think that move should be questioned one bit, but thats just my opinion, still excited to see what you came up with for the jerseys

I kinda have to agree about the Tennesse Oilers name, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as Houston Oilers or Tennessee Titans. But I didn't want to mess with a whole realignment deal with Houston and Tennesse (Houston has a fantastic identity as is IMO).

That was definitely one of my ideas, but I liked the circle. I think I will try out the drop and possibly use a different persepctive on the oil derrick, maybe more from below instead of above. I think that could look really nice.

Great start here, the only thing I don't like is the third star on the primary. It looks kind of out of place to me, maybe you could try it at the top?

I did try it at the top, it looked more out of place to me than at the bottom. I dunno, I'll see.

I would think that combining the classic look of the Oilers' rig and the Tennessee 3-star circle would make a fantastic primary on it's own.

I like the 3D but it seems a bit minor league to me, especially when combined with the script and secondary logos.

I think the main problem with the minor league-ish look is the wordmark. I'm really not the best when it comes to picking fonts. Does anybody have suggestions for one?

I should know this, but it's bugging me...

what font did you use?

Canarsie Slab.

The oval shape of the primary could use a little tweaking I think. It could either represent the "O" for Oilers, by turning it into an actual O, or try to go for the oil drop look as others mentioned. Even if kept as is, the red stroke should be consistent. Right now I can see it being bit staggered due to the oil derrick.

I also keep looking at the bottom star and wishing the shading of the oil derrick was center aligned with it.

Yeah I think I'll definitely go with the oil drop look. And the star technically is aligned with the oil derrick, it's just not aligned with the stroke of the shadow. I'll see how that looks.

I'm glad there's some interest here, I'll try and see what I can do to improve this!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I changed the perspective on the oil derrick to better fit the circle/drop shape and make room for the third star. I tried making a larger point for the drop but it just didn't look right and I didn't want to force it like funkatron said. So I stuck with the subtle point on the top so it would be less distracting and still get the point across. I found another font that I like much better and I also tried out what Chapeeko suggested (thanks for that!). I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I don't think it looks bad but I'm not sure if I prefer it over the plain wordmark. What do you guys think?

primaryv2.png?t=1306269122primaryv3.png?t=1306268967

The oil derrick still looks a bit off. What if you added shadow under the crossbars to give it a bit more depth? Also, the light blue cross bar, when it meets the dark blue, changes angles to head to down and to the left. I don't think that looks right. Much improved on the wordmark.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Archived