NFL Fauxbacks

oldschoolvikings

I recently posted a uniform concept for the Jacksonville Jaguars, based on the fantasy idea that they had been in the league since the 60's and my concept was an update on their imaginary "first" uniform. Fairly quickly, someone posted to tell me the Jaguars were, in fact, not a team from the 60's and had only been in the league since the 90's, which I thought was pretty funny. So I then did a concept of their 60's uni to "prove" to him that the Jags had been around longer.

Anyway, making a "fauxback" turned out to be kind of fun, so I thought I'd try a few more.

First is the Jags one I posted in another thread, followed by one for the Ravens and Texans.

olduni2_zps7d77ba33.png

olsuni3_zpsf2b6a6df.png

olduni4_zpsf06d1f2b.png

One thing I'll say about them... I feel better about my ability to get a feel for the styles of NFL uniforms from the 60's than I do for the logos. I think retro designing logos takes someone with a better grasp of the history of design then me. Recently in the logo forum, someone posted a fantasy throwback concept for the Panthers, done by a pro. It obviously blows these away.

The unis are great, change the helmet template to the double bar style though. I can see where there'd be a problem with the helmet logos....if you could look up some vintage helmet logos from SI and Sport magazine, that would help. Maybe even check your local library for old design books.

I recently posted a uniform concept for the Jacksonville Jaguars, based on the fantasy idea that they had been in the league since the 60's and my concept was an update on their imaginary "first" uniform. Fairly quickly, someone posted to tell me the Jaguars were, in fact, not a team from the 60's and had only been in the league since the 90's, which I thought was pretty funny. So I then did a concept of their 60's uni to "prove" to him that the Jags had been around longer.

Anyway, making a "fauxback" turned out to be kind of fun, so I thought I'd try a few more.

First is the Jags one I posted in another thread, followed by one for the Ravens and Texans.

olduni2_zps7d77ba33.png

olsuni3_zpsf2b6a6df.png

olduni4_zpsf06d1f2b.png

One thing I'll say about them... I feel better about my ability to get a feel for the styles of NFL uniforms from the 60's than I do for the logos. I think retro designing logos takes someone with a better grasp of the history of design then me. Recently in the logo forum, someone posted a fantasy throwback concept for the Panthers, done by a pro. It obviously blows these away.

FerragamoJ81.jpg

Its probably a coincidence.

Here's Vince Ferragamo in his 79's Montreal Alouettes uni.

I like your concepts and color choices. Great fauxbacks

Jaguars-If the team were founded in 1968 I doubt teal would have been one of the colors. The colors may have been a conservative black and gold, with black home jerseys.

Ravens-I can buy these being from 1965. Good set.

Texans-Invert all the red and blue on the road jersey to keep it consistent with the home jersey. In other words, blue numbers, red sleeves and blue shoulder stripes.

I love what u did with titans but we are Tennessee Titans not Nashville Titans we represent entire state of Tennessee just not city of Nashville

It's from the 1960s... Back then it was the Boston Patriots and the San Francisco Warriors. It's also this dude's concept. He can do what he wants...

I love what u did with titans but we are Tennessee Titans not Nashville Titans we represent entire state of Tennessee just not city of Nashville

It's from the 1960s... Back then it was the Boston Patriots and the San Francisco Warriors. It's also this dude's concept. He can do what he wants...

Yeah, that was my thought. In the 60's pretty much every team in every sport was named after a city, the only exception being the Twins and Vikings because of the teams not wanting to alienate anyone from St. Paul. In this fantasy universe that these designs come from the Nashville Titans will change to the Tennessee Titans sometime in the 80's.

Generally good work. As someone who remembers the 1960s, I would say that the Jacksonville, Baltimore, and possibly the Houston helmet logos are a bit too elaborate for that era. I believe many of them were painted on by hand, using stencils, back then.

Jacksonville might have actually gotten away then with copying the car's leaping jaguar mascot (not far off your basic design), in a black sillhouette (Calgary and SMU copied Ford's Mustang logo back then, and are still using it). The Old English script wasn't really popular then, so Baltimore's B would likely have been simpler, either a collegiate block or sans serif style, with simple wings. The Baltimore uniforms look genuine, as they are similar to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (in blue) of that era. Houston's H is plausible, but it might also have been a broad sans serif style. Or, a classic Texas map outline with the flag inside. Nashville is plausible, overall, but the logo might well have been a simpler N or T (no circle), or perhaps a Titan's sword (with the hilt forming the cross of the T).

These are just my impressions, for what they're worth. Your fantasy is your fantasy.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived