Cubs bringing names back to home unis?

CubsFanBudMan

I think this is something that got lost in the last week -- and certainly isn't major -- but I'm obviously interested.

When the Cubs signed lefty reliever Scott Eyre, they presented him with a jersey with his number and name on it. Is it possible it's just for the press conference, or is it because now that Garciaparra is likely gone (rumor has it he complained about all those 'heavy' letters) that the names will return?

I prefer no names on the homes, but that's because that's how the Cubs wore 'em when I grew up.

20443909.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is something that got lost in the last week -- and certainly isn't major -- but I'm obviously interested.

When the Cubs signed lefty reliever Scott Eyre, they presented him with a jersey with his number and name on it. Is it possible it's just for the press conference, or is it because now that Garciaparra is likely gone (rumor has it he complained about all those 'heavy' letters) that the names will return?

I prefer no names on the homes, but that's because that's how the Cubs wore 'em when I grew up.

20443909.jpg

Hopefully , it was an EYRror. I like the nameless home uniforms as well...

If the Cubs are going to keep the names off the homes, then something needs to be done about the alts. Having two sets of the same jersey, one with names and one without, is flippin' ridiculous. Plus the blues are in major need of updating/overhaul anyway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Keep the nameless home jersey, and WEAR IT! no more alternates at home!!! Wear it once a week, tops. HOw about on Sundays? Thats what the alternates were when they came out....Sunday jerseys. I wouldnt mind some tinkering on their alternate either, but just dont mess with the home and wear it.

I'm sure its just for the press conference.

Why would you be sure of that? I don't remember seeing "Rodriguez" or "Giambi" on the back of their press conference jerseys.

The Yankees have a tradition of no names, though. It's not going to be nearly as big of a deal with the Cubs.

I suppose time will tell about the names. Interesting post, though.

Nameless baseball uniforms (besides the Yankees) look stupid. The Cubs have a losing tradition, so why would they want to be "traditional" anyway?

And the Dodgers look ridiculous with no names on either of their jerseys.

And I think some of you would be just giddy with everyone in plain white and plain gray uniforms all 162 games of the year. This isn't Russia.

I guess I'm one of the outspoken on here when I say EVERY team in Major League Baseball, even the New York Yankees, should have names on the back of the jerseys. You don't know who they are without them, and it looks better on the field when both teams have them instead of one with, and one without.

I can make up for that though by making an alternet rule. Home team gets to decide home's or alt's. If the home team choses home's, then the road team can make a choice between alt's or road's. If the home team takes alt's, then the road team must wear road's. You can only wear alt's thirty times a season too.

Sound like a fair compramise?

Alts should be worn in the playoffs if they're worn during the regular season. I was thrilled to see the Braves and Astros break out their alts during the playoffs, and disappointed that the White Sox didn't.

As for the Yankee$...fine 'em till they bleed! We need to make up for the revenue sharing money they're going to be able to duck while building New Yankee $tadium!

And I think some of you would be just giddy with everyone in plain white and plain gray uniforms all 162 games of the year. This isn't Russia.

In Soviet Russia, uniform chooses YOU!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Alts should be worn in the playoffs if they're worn during the regular season. I was thrilled to see the Braves and Astros break out their alts during the playoffs, and disappointed that the White Sox didn't...

Actually the White Sox did wear their sleeveless alts for their first three home postseason games...

As a Dodger fan I thought the idea of removing names was stupid, and I hated it at first. The funny thing is that as the season went on, I noticed something, that without names on the back the uniforms look cleaner, classier and better. There's nothing worse than a long name going from one butt-cheek up the back arching around the number and down the otherside to the other butt-cheek. I'm not saying all teams should be nameless, but some it doesn't hurt. Either that or ban all long names from baseball and basketball! :P

Archived