Super Bowl XLIII Logo

dirtywater11

I was flipping through the Super Bowl XLII program at a CVS store today and on the very back page was a logo for Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa. I'm fairly sure it's the official one, as the next Super Bowl's logo usually goes in the program. Unfortunately I can't upload an image but I'll try to give a decent description:

OK, the top of the logo has "Super Bowl XLIII" in blue. The words "Super Bowl" are the top line and relatively small font. "XLIII" is below it and much larger. For the fourth year in a row, the curious two stars are featured. The red (AFC) one is to the left of XLIII, the blue (NFC) is to the right. Beneath the writing is meant to look like the last ten yards of a field with an end zone. The end zone is blue and doubles as an underlining for the text. Below that is the green field with white line. This is done at an angle so that there is more green field on the right of the logo. The white lines get closer to each other at the left side of the logo, eventually connecting.

All in all, it's a more traditional type logo. There's no signs of the location of the game anywhere (although I guess Tampa is hard to come up with an image for, as evidenced by the generic SB XXXV logo). Not that this is a big surprise, but it's definitely better than this years atrocity.

Sorry about no picture, if someone runs across the game program, the logo is the very last thing on the back page.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting find.

Any idea on what font they used for the roman numerals?

Also, on a related note...I wonder what they'll do for Super Bowl L , the 50th Super Bowl. I find that having a single letter can be tough, especially if it kind of also denotes 'losing'. Wonder if they'll break the cycle and go with a '50', or try to de-emphasize the 'L' in some way by burying it in some kind of pattern or design or something.

Maybe we'll see "50th Anniversary" used instead

I'm sure we'll see something like that written somewhere in the logo, but not sure if that would work over the roman numerals. BTW, if 75th is diamond, what is the 50th? Gold? I'll bet if it is, you'll see it featured prominently in the logo.

If they're ever going to make the switch to standard numerals, 50 would be the time to do it. I just hope that they never go back if they do indeed make the switch. I hate how the WWF/E randomly switches the numerals used for the Wrestlemania logos (they even combined them a few times, which looked especially bad... e.g. X-8).

That's not bad, but at the point, I'd welcome a switch to Arabic numerals. I thought WWE had done so starting with Wrestlemania 21, but they're at XXIV this year. I think the Arabic numerals make much more sense, especially with the higher numbers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Keep the roman numerals. They are better than just putting the year or "43" or "52"... it just looks better.

I don't know why the NFL is going in this direction, but the logos for the last three Super Bowls (XLI, XLII, XLIII), have been SOOOOO generic and boring. I don't get it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I like this one. Sometims less is more and the before this are great. The best is the XXXIII IMO, even though the Broncos won. The XLII logo is boring because it's a state. I am so glad they got away from a standard font for the Bowl #. What's odd is that the super bowl font appears to have remained the same and I would like this angle over whatever the real rendering is. I agree about the red and would maybe have done the super bowl in red to balance it out. I'm sure a gradient could have been used but some here would say that's sacriligious.

Archived