Super Bowl XLIII Logo

dirtywater11

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question. After the attacks on 9/11/01, the NFL changed its planned Super Bowl logo from this:

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

to this:

2346.gif

It's probably been discussed before, but does anyone remember something else being used instead of that top logo? I know that Madden 2002 used that one, but I feel like it had already been replaced before the actual Super Bowl, and then replaced again after 9/11. I seem to remember a logo with the script used in the USA version, but more of a Mardi Gras-ish back ground.

So am I way out there? Or does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Quick question. After the attacks on 9/11/01, the NFL changed its planned Super Bowl logo from this:

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

to this:

2346.gif

It's probably been discussed before, but does anyone remember something else being used instead of that top logo? I know that Madden 2002 used that one, but I feel like it had already been replaced before the actual Super Bowl, and then replaced again after 9/11. I seem to remember a logo with the script used in the USA version, but more of a Mardi Gras-ish back ground.

So am I way out there? Or does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Are you referring to this logo that was used a few years prior?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2351

I can't find any other logos. I'm actually really glad they ended up changing the logo because I never liked it. I found it to be way too dark and dull for such a big event.

BTW, does it bug anyone else that Chris has the dates underneath each Super Bowl logo showing each date one year behind? The actual games were played in the following year. Ex. He's got '2007' under this year's SB logo, when it really will be played in '2008'. I think I might be nit picking, but technically its the 2008 Super Bowl, right?

I can't find any other logos. I'm actually really glad they ended up changing the logo because I never liked it. I found it to be way too dark and dull for such a big event.

BTW, does it bug anyone else that Chris has the dates underneath each Super Bowl logo showing each date one year behind? The actual games were played in the following year. Ex. He's got '2007' under this year's SB logo, when it really will be played in '2008'. I think I might be nit picking, but technically its the 2008 Super Bowl, right?

No, that's not the logo. I could be making the whole thing up.

About the dating, Chris actually has it right. On the field throughout the playoffs in January, there were logos that said "NFL PLAYOFFS 2007." In their reasoning, these games are still part of the 2007 season. Therefore, the 2008 Playoffs and Super Bowl will be in 2009.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No, that's not the logo. I could be making the whole thing up.

About the dating, Chris actually has it right. On the field throughout the playoffs in January, there were logos that said "NFL PLAYOFFS 2007." In their reasoning, these games are still part of the 2007 season. Therefore, the 2008 Playoffs and Super Bowl will be in 2009.

I thought so. I just happened to find it weird, but it does sound right the way it is.

Yeah, I think this is one of the worse SB logos. Most of the previous logos had some hint back to their host city. XL used font like the numbers on a speedometer, XLI used the colors like the Dolphins/Florida-ish colors, and as horrible as it is XLII looks something like Arizona. This one? I see nothing.

galaxy.png

Ugh....hate it. They could have used some kind of nautical motif because of both the Buccaneers and the fact that the city is called Tampa Bay.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Interesting how the font that says SUPER BOWL is the same as the 42 logo (and to a lesser extent, the 41 logo).

They do look the same... it's kind of Grey Cup-ish in a way.

It's called "Orbit," and along with Endzone it's become standard typefaces for the NFL. Peek through the SB XL - XLII game programs, and you'll find Orbit just about EVERYWHERE except the ads.

nav-logo.png

Ugh....hate it. They could have used some kind of nautical motif because of both the Buccaneers and the fact that the city is called Tampa Bay.

Incorrect, the city is Tampa...a big misconception. When I was temporarily living in Tampa doing some job hunting, people would misuse this all the time.

It's like calling San Francisco, San Francisco Bay.

Incorrect, the city is Tampa...a big misconception. When I was temporarily living in Tampa doing some job hunting, people would misuse this all the time.

You are 100% correct, but his point is still a pretty good one.

My problem with going all out with making the logo all about the host city is the fact that many of these cities host Super Bowls multiple times over the course of 15-20 years. Using the same motif each and every time becomes a bit tiresome after a while. One of the best and worst examples of this are these:

1997 San Diego Super Bowl

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2350

2002 San Diego Super Bowl

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2344

The first one was a fanstastic example of how you take a more subtle element of a local characteristic. In this case the nautical flags and compass pertaining to the city's proximity to the ocean and sailing. Its subtle, very effective, unique to that city, but yet doesn't take away from the actual true intent of the logo: To commemerate the NFL championship.

The second logo refers to the very same nautical characteristics but way too overdone. Is the lighthouse even necessary? Not to mention the fact that when I think of a lighthouse, I personally think of Maine or Nova Scotia. Is THAT where the game was held? It took away from the intent of the logo and made it all about the city. It would have made a really great "Super Bowl HOST city logo" but was horribly overdone and inappropriate as a primary Super Bowl logo.

Or calling Raleigh "Raleigh-Durham."

nav-logo.png

You are 100% correct, but his point is still a pretty good one.

My problem with going all out with making the logo all about the host city is the fact that many of these cities host Super Bowls multiple times over the course of 15-20 years. Using the same motif each and every time becomes a bit tiresome after a while. One of the best and worst examples of this are these:

1997 San Diego Super Bowl

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2350

2002 San Diego Super Bowl

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2344

The first one was a fanstastic example of how you take a more subtle element of a local characteristic. In this case the nautical flags and compass pertaining to the city's proximity to the ocean and sailing. Its subtle, very effective, unique to that city, but yet doesn't take away from the actual true intent of the logo: To commemerate the NFL championship.

The second logo refers to the very same nautical characteristics but way too overdone. Is the lighthouse even necessary? Not to mention the fact that when I think of a lighthouse, I personally think of Maine or Nova Scotia. Is THAT where the game was held? It took away from the intent of the logo and made it all about the city. It would have made a really great "Super Bowl HOST city logo" but was horribly overdone and inappropriate as a primary Super Bowl logo.

I feel like championship logos should be a bit overdone.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived