Why don't all MLB teams have dark alts?

rebelx

Seriously, why not? It wouldn't look particularly bad for any team; in fact, I think each and every one of them could pull it off successfully. If I'm correct, here are the teams without a dark alt:

my Dodgers (damn shame; the ones they used some seasons back looked quite good, and I never understood why they stopped using them)

Giants

Cardinals

Phillies (the only team on this list with any alt at all, and I do love those cream ones)

Tigers

Yankees (can you imagine how nice a navy blue one with the "Yankees" script would look, kind of like the jackets they wear?)

Thoughts? Any speculation on these six franchises' reasoning in not adopting dark alts?

Seriously, why not? It wouldn't look particularly bad for any team; in fact, I think each and every one of them could pull it off successfully. If I'm correct, here are the teams without a dark alt:

my Dodgers (damn shame; the ones they used some seasons back looked quite good, and I never understood why they stopped using them)

Giants

Cardinals

Phillies (the only team on this list with any alt at all, and I do love those cream ones)

Tigers

Yankees (can you imagine how nice a navy blue one with the "Yankees" script would look, kind of like the jackets they wear?)

Thoughts? Any speculation on these six franchises' reasoning in not adopting dark alts?

I liked the Dodgers blue alt. And the Giants are supposedly getting orange alts for the upcoming season.

I think Imma sit back and watch where this thread goes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Because when your primary look is near-perfect, you don't need one.

As the Dodgers, Giants, Tigers and Cardinals learned.

This.

I know alts bring in money, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. They make it look like spring training.

It's where I sit.

Come on, everyone knows you don't screw with classic looks if the powers that be can resist the temptation. Let all these teams screw around with BP jerseys and stuff. If the fans want an alternate look they can go there. Take it from an embattled Mets fans, not all alternates are good.

sig2024.png

Anyone know of any good pics of players wearing the STL and Detroit alternates? I'd love to see them.

And yeah, I do remember those Giants alts. If the lettering had been orange, they would have worked, but somebody, for some damn reason, actually thought black-on-black would look fantastic, and that orange drop shadows would make it all better. Morons. Hell, even white letters with the orange drop shadows would have worked.

Speaking of which, can somebody please enlighten me as to why the Rays didn't put the team name in white, instead of navy, on their alts?

Just answer by a show of hands....

Should an alternate be just a dark colored jersey with the same script or logo across the front? Or should it be something totally different?

I find the Indians (ivory), Brewers (pinstripes) and Cubs alternates to be far more intriguing than one like the Astros or Mets...

(Hey... I've made 200 posts... that means I've asked about 200 questions here... and I still haven't been tarred and feathered...)

Just answer by a show of hands....

Should an alternate be just a dark colored jersey with the same script or logo across the front? Or should it be something totally different?

I find the Indians (ivory), Brewers (pinstripes) and Cubs alternates to be far more intriguing than one like the Astros or Mets...

(Hey... I've made 200 posts... that means I've asked about 200 questions here... and I still haven't been tarred and feathered...)

You know, I think I prefer the unique ones, although no way should either Cleveland or Milwaukee part with their dark alternates; they should both simply continue to use two different alternate sets.

Along the lines of this thread, this is what I wish the Phillies would do. What would really mix things up for them is if their dark alt ended up being royal blue, and not red B) .

'Why don't all MLB teams have dark alts?' you say?

Because this is baseball, and we need teams too look like they belong in the 1900's so we can remember the good old days. its like the case of someone with old underwear. you ask them, why don't they buy a new pair of underwear? they say but its tradition, i don't want a new pair of underwear. i prefer the ones with all the :censored: stains, ejaculate stains and skid marks on them. because its tradition damn it, i need my old crusty underwear.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I thought someone here got the the bottom of the red Cards alt story and it turned out to be a one-time wearing of the BP jersey (the red mesh button-up McGwire-era ones). It was a while back, but I'm sure someone remembers.

The navy Tigers alt (navy with the Tiger coming through the "D" logo, front #'s on right side, back #'s without names on back) was so hated by management that it only got worn once. I think Lukas did a blog post on it once because it's one of those things that not everyone knows about and there are so few pics of them.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I thought someone here got the the bottom of the red Cards alt story and it turned out to be a one-time wearing of the BP jersey (the red mesh button-up McGwire-era ones). It was a while back, but I'm sure someone remembers.

The navy Tigers alt (navy with the Tiger coming through the "D" logo, front #'s on right side, back #'s without names on back) was so hated by management that it only got worn once. I think Lukas did a blog post on it once because it's one of those things that not everyone knows about and there are so few pics of them.

Cardinals alternate was worn Labor Day weekend (I believe) in 1999 and was a "Shirt off our Backs" Day for charity. When they introduced those red bp jerseys with the 1998 update, LaRussa mentioned that they may be worn during games from time-to-time, but that is the only occasion that they have worn a non-throwback alternate.

Exactly - the red alts were not the BP jerseys they've worn in a game, but a true red version of their home jersey. I think there's a picture in Bill Henderson's doubleknit guide.

Here's Detroit's:

1194875266_fe7c98c061_o.png

I also forgot about the Cardinals' satin "night game" alt from the 1940s:

775196391_061e77d6e5_b.jpg

You can read about these and more short-lived alts here.

Exactly - the red alts were not the BP jerseys they've worn in a game, but a true red version of their home jersey. I think there's a picture in Bill Henderson's doubleknit guide.

Here's Detroit's:

1194875266_fe7c98c061_o.png

I also forgot about the Cardinals' satin "night game" alt from the 1940s:

%7Boption%7D

You can read about these and more short-lived alts here.

I love that Tigers jersey. I would like to see it worn again.

Cardinals alternate was worn Labor Day weekend (I believe) in 1999 and was a "Shirt off our Backs" Day for charity. When they introduced those red bp jerseys with the 1998 update, LaRussa mentioned that they may be worn during games from time-to-time, but that is the only occasion that they have worn a non-throwback alternate.

That's right. I think the thread got real heated over the subject until someone finally found a picture from the game (there was one up-close photo that proved it was a doubleknit jersey and not the mesh). It was a while back, so it's not exactly a fresh memory.

Gothamite, there is indeed a pic in Henderson's guide with a low-res close-up of a game-worn jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived