Twins Uniform Update for 2015

OnWis97

This Twins script has always felt inorganic and dull. The addition of Action Beige isn't helping. I'd rather just have the Twins look like a team that is old, because they are old.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new threads are alright. They don't bother me, but that's not really a good thing. I don't think you should introduce something that fans say, "yeah those are okay." I still think what they wore in their World Series years was the best they ever had. M hat, pinstripe jerseys.

kpuckett.jpg

d9QxxP7.jpg

Love these. Miss road pinstripes in baseball. (Do it, Cubs.)

So among the older things that no longer match in the Twins set, first and foremost is... the primary logo?!

Thinking the wordmark should have been red on this one... an update of that 2009 throwback.

The fact that no other jersey is changing and the old cap is staying leads me to believe that this is just a very public trial balloon. Should have just gone all out or not at all.

I've talked to some friends (who aren't nearly as obsessed with uniform/logo design as this community) and seen some Facebook/Twitter comments (also presumably from folks who aren't as enamored with unis) and, from what I can tell, most Twins fans are really upset that the pinstripes are gone. Take social media comments for what they are, but they represent something.

I always enjoy looking at the comments of fans whose team recently updated something. Sometimes their reaction is far different from what I see on here.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

The gold outline that follows the C as it overlaps the T, doesn't appear to follow the T when it overlaps the C.

I was not sure whether this is true, but based on the close up here (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/fan_forum/uniform_infographic.jsp?adbid=10152829309854841&adbpl=fb&adbpr=45991614840&partnerId=as_min_20141111_35332317) it appears to be. It's a subtle thing that few fans will notice, but it's bugging the crap out of me. Is there a good reason for it to look like this?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

People here might have to wrap their mind around a new look that looks great

We don't have any problem with that. But we're still waiting for the Twins to come up with one. ;)

Seriously, dude, if you feel the need to take potshots at your fellow posters, then you must not have any substantive arguments. Tell us why you like them, don't complain about people who don't automatically agree with you.

We don't have any problem with that. But we're still waiting for the Twins to come up with one. ;)

Seriously, dude, if you feel the need to take potshots at your fellow posters, then you must not have any substantive arguments. Tell us why you like them, don't complain about people who don't automatically agree with you.

I said that because every time there's an unveiling that doesn't have the team throwing it back to an old design(blue jays), it's the same thing every time: most people hate it, some like it, people post a picture of an old uniform set and say "just go back to these!" Or "this was the best they ever looked." I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions, because I've done it too before, but it just gets old when the same people on here hate new things unless their throwbacks or modernized throwbacks.

I think the Twins gold looks fantastic. Navy red gold is such a great scheme when used correctly, and they did it. And not random addition since it's all alround their park. The old pinstripes looked so outdated it was unreal. If every time you see it it reminds you of an event 20 years in the past (Kirby World Series), it's time to grow your brand.

I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions

Then don't complain when they do. That's easy.

I understand what you're saying about "grow your brand", but that doesn't make this color scheme look good. And you might also consider "brand equity" - if a uniform set makes people think about a World Series victory, that's usually a good thing, much as I don't like those particular uniforms.

While I don't hate this update at all, and while I don't have a vested interest in the Twins (go Reds!), there are three items that just don't work for me here, with the first two having to do with Twins history:

1. The change from red to navy script and numbers steers this update too far away from the WS championship days, for me. If red had stayed predominant there, I wouldn't mind it nearly as much. Those were special teams, and this update doesn't hearken back to them at all, in my opinion. Not as bad, of course, as the way the Diamondbacks obliterated their WS look, but still.

2. The addition of Pretentiously-Named Gold doesn't look unappealing to me, but it doesn't really serve a specific purpose either. Regardless of whether or not the Senators-then-Twins were spiffily dressed or not, they were essentially navy-n-red or red-n-navy. Yeah, there are too many teams with those colors, but these guys have worn it for a long, long time, and therefore the gold looks tacked on to me. To me it doesn't separate them from other similarly-colored teams, in much the way the gold doesn't separate the Giants from the Orioles. Looks more like a special one-off WS-commemorating uniform for a copycat team.

3. Inconsistency across uniforms bugs me terribly, such as with the Kansas City Chiefs helmets versus uni, Phoenix Suns home (and alternate) versus away, Tampa Bay Rays caps versus jerseys, San Diego Padres whatever versus everything, etc. Going gold? Go all the way or not at all.

I said that because every time there's an unveiling that doesn't have the team throwing it back to an old design(blue jays), it's the same thing every time: most people hate it, some like it, people post a picture of an old uniform set and say "just go back to these!" Or "this was the best they ever looked." I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions, because I've done it too before, but it just gets old when the same people on here hate new things unless their throwbacks or modernized throwbacks.

Examples?

Just recently, I think the Stars, Ducks, Nets, Hornets, Sac Kings, Vikings, even Seahawks (definitely mixed, but a lot of positive responses), redesigns were well received even though they weren't throwbackish.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This Twins script has always felt inorganic and dull.

If by "inorganic" you mean "not a hot, crappy mess", then sure. Seriously, that older script is just terribly executed. It seems like they wrote it on a napkin and say "well, it's a script, so it's good enough!" and nobody's bothered to ever make it feel like it was made by someone who'd gotten through elementary-school cursive classes.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There has to be a happy medium between the rough, hand-drawn-and-looking-it original script and its soulless, computer-created-and-looking-it successors.

Tweaking the original to fix some of the flaws is probably easier than re-drawing the new one, and it's a much better place to start.

There has to be a happy medium between the rough, hand-drawn-and-looking-it original script and its soulless, computer-created-and-looking-it successors.

Tweaking the original to fix some of the flaws is probably easier than re-drawing the new one, and it's a much better place to start.

I came to this realization probably about a year ago when I was going through vectors of some old scripts that I have. Because of my personal preference, I err on the side of hand-drawn, but I immediately thought that the Twins original script was janky in a way that made it look like it was originally rushed when drawn, as opposed to simply having an organic or natural touch. So I went in and just fixed some of the sizing and weight issues that seemed obvious to me, and I used the tail from the Metrodome (for lack of a better descriptor) script. (Pay no mind to the ugly miter problems; I threw a stroke on it just now to illustrate the point.)

twins.png

Let's all keep in mind that the 1987-2009 marks and uniform scripts were all "hand-drawn" as well.

I don't understand why a clean wordmark is "soulless", but that's apparently just me. It's superior in every way.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived