2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

Speaking of Miami and recruits, they need to recruit like they did in the 80's. Getting kids from the ghettos and slums.

When Miami won its first championship, teams got 95 scholarships and there were only three Division 1 teams in the Florida.

Today, there are only 85 scholarships and now seven FBS teams in Florida, two of which are in the same metro area.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't quote it because I'm in phone, but Baylor did beat TCU Crash. I still think Ole Miss should be ahead of them, a better win an better losses should count for something.

Hence the "except with Baylor, apparently."

Still trying to figure out how they weren't 7th last week.

Baylor's best win is every bit as good as Mississippi's best win and they haven't lost twice.

6fQjS3M.png

I won't quote it because I'm in phone, but Baylor did beat TCU Crash. I still think Ole Miss should be ahead of them, a better win an better losses should count for something.

Baylor's best win is every bit as good as Mississippi's best win and they haven't lost twice.

I think the committee is writing off that outcome as the freak outcome that it was. Baylor won a rivalry game at home by a last second field goal after an unbelievable defensive and offensive collapse on the part of TCU. Granted Baylor has the offensive horses to make up a 21 point deficit, but seriously, what the heck do you make of that game.

EDIT-Baylor also hasn't played anybody competent in the Big XII besides TCU and West Virginia. Maybe after Oklahoma things will change.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But Baylor hasn't played any team remotely decent besides their good win and their (good?) loss. I think the committee will value Ole Miss's win a lot more because of the nature of that game, and who they beat. I think the committee sees Alabama as a better team than TCU (who doesn't with their defense?) and the nature of the two wins. Ole Miss's Boise State win is also looking a little better each week the Broncos win. It's far superior to anything Baylor's second-best win.

The SEC's best-case scenario is with Mississippi State and Auburn winning out. It'd be even better if K-State runs the table in the Big 12, giving Auburn a head-to-head advantage over a vaunted one-loss conference champion. I don't think the SEC would like their odds of getting two if say, a one-loss Alabama beats Auburn and losses to Mississippi State (knocking them both down to two losses, while MSU runs the table). And then gets put up against a one-loss Oregon, TCU, and an unbeaten FSU. With one-loss Notre Dame and Power 5 conference champion Michigan State waiting in the wings. (Man, it would've been great if ND scheduled MSU instead of Michigan this season.)

Overall, I really think it's going to end up like this:

1. Mississippi State (Unbeaten or one loss)

2. Florida State (Unbeaten)

3. Auburn (No losses the rest of the way)

4. Oregon (No losses the rest of the way)

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

So the fallout from the Maryland and Penn State handshake debacle, see's Maryland get a $10,000 fine and it's star wide receiver suspended.

What a joke. Its not like they walked to center field, flipped them the bird, then did a Michael Jackson crotch grab. Its one thing to NOT shake hands after the game, but it was before the game... I don't think they should be required to shake hands. Its competition!

To be honest, I think there needs to be more of this in athletics. There is too much happy go lucky feeling in athletics. I don't think the handshake was disrespectful. I think it would have been had they NOT shaken hands AFTER the game.

So the fallout from the Maryland and Penn State handshake debacle, see's Maryland get a $10,000 fine and it's star wide receiver suspended.

What a joke. Its not like they walked to center field, flipped them the bird, then did a Michael Jackson crotch grab. Its one thing to NOT shake hands after the game, but it was before the game... I don't think they should be required to shake hands. Its competition!

To be honest, I think there needs to be more of this in athletics. There is too much happy go lucky feeling in athletics. I don't think the handshake was disrespectful. I think it would have been had they NOT shaken hands AFTER the game.

Spoken like someone who has burned three residences in Monroe County Michigan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Diggs was not suspended for not shaking hands. He was suspended for shoving an official during the earlier skirmish, which seems to have been instigated entirely by Maryland. The fine also seems to be about that. Officially, at least from my interpretation, the conference did not offer any punishment for the handshake part of this. I think the Big Ten handled it well enough. The 15 yard penalty is punishment enough for that. And they had to make a statement that teams can't just try to start rivalries by starting pre-game fights. The only thing they missed is that Diggs should have been ejected from the game for putting his hands on the ref.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Diggs was not suspended for not shaking hands. He was suspended for shoving an official during the earlier skirmish, which seems to have been instigated entirely by Maryland. The fine also seems to be about that. Officially, at least from my interpretation, the conference did not offer any punishment for the handshake part of this. I think the Big Ten handled it well enough. The 15 yard penalty is punishment enough for that. And they had to make a statement that teams can't just try to start rivalries by starting pre-game fights. The only thing they missed is that Diggs should have been ejected from the game for putting his hands on the ref.

I'm against the 15 yard penalty too. The point of sportsmanship is even if you lose, you congratulate the victor and carry one. I don't think they should penalized for a pregame handshake. I think its especially true in the B1G TEN who wants to constantly make everyone buddy buddy.

Coaches had an unwritten rule that they wont recruit players who verbally commit (or something similar) to another school. When Meyer was hired at tOSU, he threw that out the window and brought cut-throat recruiting to the B1G. I think you see tense rivalries in every conference, multiple teams... bad blood. The B1G needs more of that. I think it will help to rebuild the conference.

I don't think Florida State deserves to be in the playoff at all. I've seen at least 4 games were they were losing 70% of the time and had to come back, and these were all against sub-par teams (discluding Notre Dame). I also resent the fact that their best player has been a rule exception countless times, and got away with frickin rape.

I'm against the 15 yard penalty too. The point of sportsmanship is even if you lose, you congratulate the victor and carry one. I don't think they should penalized for a pregame handshake. I think its especially true in the B1G TEN who wants to constantly make everyone buddy buddy.

Coaches had an unwritten rule that they wont recruit players who verbally commit (or something similar) to another school. When Meyer was hired at tOSU, he threw that out the window and brought cut-throat recruiting to the B1G. I think you see tense rivalries in every conference, multiple teams... bad blood. The B1G needs more of that. I think it will help to rebuild the conference.

If it's not specifically a rule that you are penalized 15 yards for it, then I don't think it should have been assessed.

I am ambivalent...my initial thought was "big deal" and I am really not able to get very worked up about the handshaking incident. But not doing it is not some great psych out or something.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't think Florida State deserves to be in the playoff at all. I've seen at least 4 games were they were losing 70% of the time and had to come back, and these were all against sub-par teams (discluding Notre Dame). I also resent the fact that their best player has been a rule exception countless times, and got away with frickin rape.

Yeah... But have they lost though? Not since 2012. They are the defending national champions, but you're discounting them for not losing, and not losing to the likes of Louisville and Clemson, two of the top defenses in the country. So until they lose, they have every right to be in the playoff.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Yeah... But have they lost though? Not since 2012. They are the defending national champions, but you're discounting them for not losing, and not losing to the likes of Louisville and Clemson, two of the top defenses in the country. So until they lose, they have every right to be in the playoff.

I'm not sure you can use the "Top Defenses" argument, though. If the ACC is considered weak, very weak, meaning its Florida State and everyone else considered even decent, then you can't use 2 teams in their conference to hold them up.

I'm not familiar at all with Clemson or Louisville, but if the conference is considered the weakest of the Big 5, I'm not sure saying they beat 2 top defenses in Conference is a good argument to justify Florida State.

DISCLAIMER: I do believe FSU is a Top 4 team in the country.

Yes, but there's got to be something said for a team (potentially) running the table in a Power 5 conference. The ACC may be weak, but that's not Florida State's fault, the conference just hasn't had it's best season. And it's not like they didn't try to schedule out of conference this year, Neutral site versus Oklahoma State, at home against potential one-loss Notre Dame, and at home against Florida too.

Jameis Winston may be a flaming douche, but the committee can't just throw them out because their star player is well, an ass. Unless he gets convicted of something there's nothing they can do about it.

I'm not sure you can use the "Top Defenses" argument, though. If the ACC is considered weak, very weak, meaning its Florida State and everyone else considered even decent, then you can't use 2 teams in their conference to hold them up.

I'm not familiar at all with Clemson or Louisville, but if the conference is considered the weakest of the Big 5, I'm not sure saying they beat 2 top defenses in Conference is a good argument to justify Florida State.

You can't outright say the ACC is the weakest Power 5 conference without including the Big Ten, top to bottom they're almost equal leagues this season. And Clemson and Louisville actually do have pretty good defenses if you've seen either play this year.

But they shouldn't be in a four team playoff?

Didn't say that. I said that I'm not sure one can use the argument that they best 2 of the nation's best defenses, when those defenses play in the nation's 5th best conference.

As for the B1G/ACC comparison, I would say FSU is the best team out of the 2 conferences, but if I'm picking teams, I would take Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and possibly Minnesota, Iowa, or even Maryland before I take Duke, Clemson, or Louisville.

I'm not familiar at all with Clemson or Louisville

Then why are you arguing that they don't have a pair of the best defenses in the country? I didn't know I could argue things I know nothing about!

NEWSFLASH: Most FBS teams probably have someone who committed rape or sexual assault playing for them.

6fQjS3M.png

Didn't say that. I said that I'm not sure one can use the argument that they best 2 of the nation's best defenses, when those defenses play in the nation's 5th best conference.

As for the B1G/ACC comparison, I would say FSU is the best team out of the 2 conferences, but if I'm picking teams, I would take Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and possibly Minnesota, Iowa, or even Maryland before I take Duke, Clemson, or Louisville.

Really? Have you watched Minnesota, Iowa, or Maryland play at all this year? Outside of the four teams you mentioned, the Big Ten is bad this year. Really bad. And even those top four teams aren't all that great. Ohio State lost at home to an under .500 Virginia Tech and Wisconsin lost to Northwestern.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Um, what are you talking about? Your precious Iowa lost to Iowa State, who's only other win is against Toledo. Ohio State lost to a Virginia Tech team at home, that's last in the Coastal division, and may not make a bowl game. Iowa, Maryland, and Minnesota all have very pretty records. But did you consider that they were all against their mediocre conference mates or their non-conference foes'. Maryland was drubbed by Wisconsin and Ohio State, and still has yet to play Michigan State. Iowa hasn't played a ranked team and still has two losses, and their best win is at Pittsburgh. Minnesota lost substantially to the only ranked team they've played so far. Not to mention that all of these teams look (somewhat) dreadful on the field.

Wisconsin also lost to Northwestern, so I don't even know what makes you so sure about them, Ohio State, or Nebraska. Just take a look at all those teams' "best wins" and you can find out a lot about them.

That's basically the same thing Clemson, Duke, and Louisville have done. Except their losses (aside from Louisville's UVA game) weren't nearly as bad. You could also probably add Georgia Tech and Miami to that equation as well.

Overall, both conferences are about on the same peg. They both have a contender, and a decent-ish 3-4 teams behind them. And then it goes to 7-5 or 8-4 teams that have beaten up on each other.

Really? Have you watched Minnesota, Iowa, or Maryland play at all this year? Outside of the four teams you mentioned, the Big Ten is bad this year. Really bad. And even those top four teams aren't all that great. Ohio State lost at home to an under .500 Virginia Tech and Wisconsin lost to Northwestern.

If Ohio State plays VT again, they would smoke them. It was the ideal trap game for the Buckeyes. Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa are not terrible. The B1G is much better this year than last year. I'm saying that the 4 teams I would definitely take before the next ACC team... and Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa may be a 5th team before Clemson or L.

EDIT: Let me clarify, I think the B1G is deeper than it was last year. I don't think Michigan State, Wisconsin or Michigan are as good as they were last year, but I think the conference as a whole is a lot better.

Archived