2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kentucky just extended the contract of Mark Stoops to 2020 and raised his base salary from $2.2 million to $3.225 million going from dead last in the SEC to the 6th highest. The chart below details the SEC coaching salaries before this latest extension: coaches.jpg Stoops announced at the press conference that his assistants would also be receiving raises in the near future.

And he failed to cover at Mizzou getting 7.5 with a great chance for a backdoor cover.Now 2-12 in conference.
Yeah and your point is what? Stoops is in his second year and no one expects miracles to happen over night. In the two years he has been at UK he has changed the culture and started to get recruits and it will take him another two years to get the program in a position to fight for the East. They played like crap today, there is not excuse, but the majority of the starters were recruited by Joker Phillips and we have not fully seen what will happen once we have his players in uniform.
My point is that the university or athletic assoc. decided to reward a coach who is not a winner.In fact, he has won less than another Power 5 coach who received an extension himself in Kingsbury.
The main reason they gave him a raise was to keep in Lexington as rumors have been spreading throughout the town that Michigan may be calling. I believe Mitch Barnhardt did the right thing by giving him the raise and extension. You have to spend money to make money and Big Blue Nation is doing the right thing on this one.
You think you can win a bidding war with Michigan. Really.LOLNO.

No, but they have to at least try.

spacer.png

Honestly I don't really think Alabama is good enough this year to be ranked in the Top 4. I would take, in no particular order... TCU, Oregon, and Auburn over them.

Also. I thought it was pretty funny on ESPN this morning when, I forget who, took a shot at the SEC, when asked why he only had 1 SEC team ranked in his Top 4 and said "I like to see tackle football being played elsewhere in the country"

Also. I thought it was pretty funny on ESPN this morning when, I forget who, took a shot at the SEC, when asked why he only had 1 SEC team ranked in his Top 4 and said "I like to see tackle football being played elsewhere in the country"

This is exactly why I feel the committee will do anything to prevent two teams from any conference to get in the playoff (within reason), at least for this year. They want a national-feel for the four teams if that opportunity's there. Obviously, three SEC teams and an ACC school in Florida wouldn't get much love west of the Mississippi and north of the Ohio.

I think the only way the SEC gets two in is if Alabama beats Mississippi State and those two win the rest of their games. Don't think FSU loses a game. Oregon should get a spot if they win out. 1-loss Michigan State's not getting in unless a lot of teams get 2 losses (the Big Ten is in that deep a hole, I believe). TCU or Kansas State may not be able to jump over a 1-loss Miss State if MSU's lone loss is to a definite top-5 Alabama.

We're not changing the rules because for every Georgia Southern there's a couple Georgia States or other Sun Belt fodder that is years away from bowl qualification and whose athletic department cannot afford to jump up to I-A, so lets remove some of the incentive to do so.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We're not changing the rules because for every Georgia Southern there's a couple Georgia States or other Sun Belt fodder that is years away from bowl qualification and whose athletic department cannot afford to jump up to I-A, so lets remove some of the incentive to do so.

I was going to ask the reason for that rule. Is that it?

IUe6Hvh.png

If so, I don't see the point...in the Georgia States you mention, they wouldn't be bowl-eligible even if the NCAA reformed its rules.

And BTW, two other new-to-FBS Sun Belt Members (Texas State and South Alabama) are also on the brink of bowl eligibility this year...so don't be so quick to knock them.

bYhYmxh.png

If so, I don't see the point...in the Georgia States you mention, they wouldn't be bowl-eligible even if the NCAA reformed its rules.

And BTW, two other new-to-FBS Sun Belt Members (Texas State and South Alabama) are also on the brink of bowl eligibility this year...so don't be so quick to knock them.

The quality of play in the Sun Belt is kind of down this year Burmeister. South Alabama and Texas State have gotten most of those wins against some really awful teams.

Speaking of which, Georgia Southern's basically sidestepped most of the Sun Belt teams with pulses this season-neither Arkansas State nor ULaLa is on the schedule for them this year. Their non-con schedule features a win against a bad *rechecks standings* horrifyingly awful (Tebus Cripes they lost to a D-II HBCU by 14!) HBCU and a couple of near misses against Power 5 teams. Good but not great.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is exactly why I feel the committee will do anything to prevent two teams from any conference to get in the playoff (within reason), at least for this year. They want a national-feel for the four teams if that opportunity's there. Obviously, three SEC teams and an ACC school in Florida wouldn't get much love west of the Mississippi and north of the Ohio.

I think the only way the SEC gets two in is if Alabama beats Mississippi State and those two win the rest of their games. Don't think FSU loses a game. Oregon should get a spot if they win out. 1-loss Michigan State's not getting in unless a lot of teams get 2 losses (the Big Ten is in that deep a hole, I believe). TCU or Kansas State may not be able to jump over a 1-loss Miss State if MSU's lone loss is to a definite top-5 Alabama.

More than anything, I think K-State would have a hard time jumping Mississippi State because of their result against a common opponent — Auburn.

The SEC's best hope for two teams — in my eyes at least — is Clanga and War Eagle both winning out. Auburn would have as strong a case as anyone to make the field, especially if K-State is the team that comes out of the Big XII — and we already know the committee really likes War Eagle.

Bama's obviously sitting pretty though in control of their own destiny and I'd expect them to run the table.

If TCU and Oregon both win out though, I'm not sure how good of a chance the SEC really has to get two once the conference champions qualifier comes into play. If it's Auburn trying to get in as the 1-loss, non-SEC champion, they'll have a better chance — I can't see Mississippi State being able to pull that off.

As far as a rankings projection this week...

1. Mississippi State
  2. Florida State
  3. Auburn
  4. Oregon
  5. TCU
  6. Alabama
  7. Michigan State
  8. Kansas State
  9. Arizona State
  10. Notre Dame
  11. Baylor
  12. Nebraska
  13. Ohio State

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ole Miss slotted ahead of Nebraska and Ohio State, maybe even higher. That's the real thing of intrigue with me this week — how far do they drop the Rebels? They still have the Alabama win but does having two losses take a team out of the picture? Do they slide below LSU because of the head-to-head comparison? The committee's treatment with LSU would seem to indicate that Ole Miss should fall behind that top group of 13 'contenders' but still ahead of Duke but we'll have to see.

The committee (except with Baylor apparently?) has decided that good wins reign supreme — Arizona State's win over Utah is better than anything ND has this year. TCU jumps the idle Bama — the Tide's best win is now against a team that sits as TCU's second-best win. Sparty and K-State slide up after doing nothing and beating Oklahoma State (a.k.a. 'doing nothing').

Looking forward to tomorrow night. And this weekend. Gonna be a lot of fun.

6fQjS3M.png

I won't quote it because I'm in phone, but Baylor did beat TCU Crash. I still think Ole Miss should be ahead of them, a better win an better losses should count for something.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Ohio State has landed another 5-Star recruit, Torrance Gibson. Earlier this year, it was thought that Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes had lost any hope of landing Gibson.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/11/five-star_qb_torrance_gibson_c.html#incart_river

HS rankings do not equate to success at the collegiate level. Stop the "hope trafficking".

Looks at how many of the Rivals100 don't even make all conference, yet alone get drafted.

Ohio State has landed another 5-Star recruit, Torrance Gibson. Earlier this year, it was thought that Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes had lost any hope of landing Gibson.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/11/five-star_qb_torrance_gibson_c.html#incart_river

HS rankings do not equate to success at the collegiate level. Stop the "hope trafficking".

WTF does that even mean? We're sports fans. All we can do is hope traffic.

Also, aren't you a Michigan guy? Maybe you should do some more hope trafficking because whether your recruits are highly ranked or not nobody's equating to success at the collegiate level for the Wolverines.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Looks at how many of the Rivals100 don't even make all conference, yet alone get drafted.

No one has said anything about a high school ranking system equating to collegiate or professional success. I was just posting a news article about Ohio State landing another major recruit, something Urban Meyer has done regularly during his time at Florida and now at Ohio State. Its interesting because earlier in the year, many NCAA outlets were reporting that the Buckeyes lost all contact with Gibson. Most places penciled him in going to LSU or Miami. QB was one of the holes in Urban's last few recruiting classes.

Believe me, we all know that high school success doesn't lead to collegiate success. All you have to do is look at Brady Hoke's last 3 recruiting classes at Michigan. All were very highly rated nationally, yet the Wolverines' record continues to decline.

Speaking of Miami and recruits, they need to recruit like they did in the 80's. Getting kids from the ghettos and slums.

Even with all of the academic fraud going around, they still have to be smart enough to get in there. And Miami no longer "controls" the top talent coming out of Southern Florida, a lot of it goes in-state to Florida or FSU, or goes somewhere else (SEC, Ohio State, Michigan). Miami's days of ruling college football has been over for a long time.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived