2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

TCU's beaten Oklahoma, reports a freak defensive collapse at Baylor, and boasts the highest scoring offense in the country.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I'm not sold on Louisville either, beating up on mid-level ACC teams is about as good as anything Marshall's done to this point.

You do realize that Louisville was 8 points away from being unbeaten. Yes they did beat some mid-level ACC teams, but they have played well despite a new coach, QB, and a totally new conference. And in a neutral field, Louisville would beat Marshall very easily.

One of those is to Virginia, who is quickly finding the crapper at the same rate the other two teams' in the state are. The Marshall argument is debatable. They may win, but it might not be as "easy" as you think.

But what the heck, odds are they probably won't be in the rankings next week.

I did forget to say that they went without DeVante Parker (their best offensive weapon) on both of their losses and if he didn't get hurt, they could've won those games. I do agree that Virginia is a bad loss considering what they did against UNC and Duke. On the argument side, you may have a point because of Rakeem Cato, but Marshall hasn't faced a team with Louisville's talent so far and that schedule reminds me of last year's schedule with Louisville. Finally, there is a chance that the Cards edge the Noles on Thursday night (FSU has some trouble on Thursdays) if the Card's D brings their "A" game and the offense can find some consistency. It should be a great game for both sides.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Marshall is a reminder that the four-team CFP is just a START...it needs to be expanded in the future to eight (or maybe even sixteen) to give teams a fair shot.

No... See, I thought it was weird to see the only other unbeaten not anywhere near the Top 25, but the committee knows what most of us knew already: The Thundering Herd have a crappy SoS. Their best win was against Middle Tennessee, who is only 5-3. They don't play anyone with a winning record in their final four games.

In order for them to get to a New Year's Six game, they need East Carolina to falter big time.

Marshall is a reminder that the four-team CFP is just a START...it needs to be expanded in the future to eight (or maybe even sixteen) to give teams a fair shot.

I definitely agree about an 8-team playoff. But, as much as I would love to see Marshall up there in the talk, they just aren't deserving of it yet. But who knows, maybe they'll be a "BCS Buster" (for lack of a better term, I suppose) and make it to a great bowl. They could be similar to how UCF was last year when they "upset" Baylor.

If you looking strictly at head-to-head between the B1G and SEC, yes, the SEC is dominant in the win-loss percentage. However, just like stats, win-loss records lie. Over the last 2 years, many of the B1G teams have either been leading late, or kept the game competitive the entire game (yes, there are exceptions with blow outs).

There aren't many stats that I keep up with, but wins/losses are pretty accurate. Never seen a result that lied to me after 60 minutes of play.

It's fair to say that Win-Loss does NOT lie, but it doesn't tell the whole story. In the infamous South Carolina/Michigan game when Clowney popped the top off the Wolverine RB, Michigan was leading much of that game until late in the game.

Another year, LSU was ranked in the top 15, playing Iowa, who wasn't ranked. Iowa led the entire game until a couple of freak plays. I think a fumble deep in Iowa's own red zone and some other bizarre play that bounced LSU's way.

Those are 2 that stick out of my head. Just this year, Wisconsin was beating LSU (who was rated 1 spot higher) by multiple scores for the entire games until late in the 4th quarter.

People just look as say oh well, SEC continues their dominance over the B1G and other conferences... looking strictly at the Win-Loss. And yes, in the END, its all about wins and losses... but the narrative of the SEC dominating EVERYONE and the B1G being so weak isn't a fair one.

If you looking strictly at head-to-head between the B1G and SEC, yes, the SEC is dominant in the win-loss percentage. However, just like stats, win-loss records lie. Over the last 2 years, many of the B1G teams have either been leading late, or kept the game competitive the entire game (yes, there are exceptions with blow outs).

There aren't many stats that I keep up with, but wins/losses are pretty accurate. Never seen a result that lied to me after 60 minutes of play.

It's fair to say that Win-Loss does NOT lie, but it doesn't tell the whole story. In the infamous South Carolina/Michigan game when Clowney popped the top off the Wolverine RB, Michigan was leading much of that game until late in the game.

Another year, LSU was ranked in the top 15, playing Iowa, who wasn't ranked. Iowa led the entire game until a couple of freak plays. I think a fumble deep in Iowa's own red zone and some other bizarre play that bounced LSU's way.

Those are 2 that stick out of my head. Just this year, Wisconsin was beating LSU (who was rated 1 spot higher) by multiple scores for the entire games until late in the 4th quarter.

People just look as say oh well, SEC continues their dominance over the B1G and other conferences... looking strictly at the Win-Loss. And yes, in the END, its all about wins and losses... but the narrative of the SEC dominating EVERYONE and the B1G being so weak isn't a fair one.

Games are still 60 minutes long, Chief.

You know how the Big Ten can lose that stigma? Start winning these games. Not be close, not leading after 3 quarters....win the game.

What's the conference's best out-of-conference win? Indiana beating Missouri (maybe the 7th-best team in the SEC)? Nebraska beating Miami?

You know how the Big Ten can lose that stigma? Start winning these games. Not be close, not leading after 3 quarters....win the game.

What's the conference's best out-of-conference win? Indiana beating Missouri (maybe the 7th-best team in the SEC)? Nebraska beating Miami?

I would say Indiana is a big win, considering they are probably the WORST team in the B1G.

Now, if you read my post, you would know the point I was making was that the gap isn't that massive over the last few years. Yes, the SEC is the best conference, but with the way they rank SEC teams and leave other B1G/PAC/XII/ACC teams out of the mix I think is unfair. The perception is that the the SEC is a 10 and everyone else is a 4 or a 5. When really, the SEC may be a 10, but the other conferences are closer to 7s 8s and 9s. Its not that the SEC is head, shoulders, waist, above everyone else.

I would say Indiana is a big win, considering they are probably the WORST team in the B1G.

Now, if you read my post, you would know the point I was making was that the gap isn't that massive over the last few years. Yes, the SEC is the best conference, but with the way they rank SEC teams and leave other B1G/PAC/XII/ACC teams out of the mix I think is unfair. The perception is that the the SEC is a 10 and everyone else is a 4 or a 5. When really, the SEC may be a 10, but the other conferences are closer to 7s 8s and 9s. Its not that the SEC is head, shoulders, waist, above everyone else.

Ok, score margin may be getting closer, but losses are still losses and wins are still wins, and win/loss records are still the most accurate 'stat'.

In close games, what wins games in the 4th quarter are talent, depth, and coaching. The gap may be closing, but there's still a decent gap in these categories between the SEC and the Pac-12, Big XII, Big Ten, etc.

Tonight is easily the biggest home game for the Cards since 2006 when #5 WVU went to PJCS. I think that this would be an excellent game with Jameis Winston against a Top-5 Cardinal defense. In the end, defense wins championships and FSU's luck finally runs out. 31-28 Cards. And for some food of thought here's this pic from yesterday.

nqkjea7rujjiozk3iv7f.png

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Look SockPuppet McGee, we may be now, but that's because Sudfeld's done for the season and we're starting a true freshman. With Sudfeld, Indiana's probably a mid-level team in the Big Ten East.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived