2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida State is so insanely lucky. I hate them so much.

There are no likables at the top of the CFB polls this season. You either have that SEC stranglehold, those Seminoles, the Oregon NikeDucks or Notre Dame.

You like nothing, so this comment means nothing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Florida State is so insanely lucky. I hate them so much.

There are no likables at the top of the CFB polls this season. You either have that SEC stranglehold, those Seminoles, the Oregon NikeDucks or Notre Dame.

You like nothing, so this comment means nothing.

I'm usually one of the biggest anti-SEC voices in the crowd, but that's more because of ESPN's constant war-mongering and smear campaigns against other conferences. That being said, though, I'd have zero problem with Mississippi State winning it all, just because they're a fresh face.

Here's a thought though. Is MSU really that good - or is the SEC West that bad? We've been conditioned to assume that the SEC is top flight football, regardless of the on-field product. Because most SEC teams play a non-conference schedule that looks like a junior YMCA league, it's damn near impossible to pinpoint how good MSU really is. If you doubt this, just ask yourself if MSU is as good as Cam Newton's Auburn, AJ McCarron's Alabama or Tim Tebow's Florida.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think there's a cognitive bias in trying to assess that question, however.

1) We all know just how good those other teams were. One won multiple titles, another won multiple titles, and the other may win multiple titles if Cam wasn't there for only one year.

2) It's Mississippi State we're talking about here. We aren't used to them being a football power. Naturally, there's going to be a "yeah, but" factor in trying to figure out whether they are really championship material or not. It's only natural. If Alabama had Mississippi State's roster and results, I don't think any of us would be so quick to think "yeah, but how well do they really stack up with the best of the rest?".

spacer.png

Now, if FSU can just play like that the entire game.

Like it or not, Florida State knows how to win. They don't dominate teams like last year, but they get the job done.

This. Doesn't matter how you do it. A win is a win.

This line of thinking always seem to prevail when talking about the SEC, but not the other conferences. For instance, Ohio State's 2OT win at Penn State, in front of 110,000 fans... one of the most hostile environments in college football. Yet, tOSU dropped in the poles.

I think there's a cognitive bias in trying to assess that question, however.

1) We all know just how good those other teams were. One won multiple titles, another won multiple titles, and the other may win multiple titles if Cam wasn't there for only one year.

2) It's Mississippi State we're talking about here. We aren't used to them being a football power. Naturally, there's going to be a "yeah, but" factor in trying to figure out whether they are really championship material or not. It's only natural. If Alabama had Mississippi State's roster and results, I don't think any of us would be so quick to think "yeah, but how well do they really stack up with the best of the rest?".

But that's my point exactly. It's impossible to remove bias from the equation. Either the media ranks the "favored" teams and we criticize them for bias, or they rank the "Cinderella" teams and we think that team is a fluke. It's a very odd thing to think about, really.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Kentucky just extended the contract of Mark Stoops to 2020 and raised his base salary from $2.2 million to $3.225 million going from dead last in the SEC to the 6th highest. The chart below details the SEC coaching salaries before this latest extension:

coaches.jpg

Stoops announced at the press conference that his assistants would also be receiving raises in the near future.

spacer.png

Kentucky just extended the contract of Mark Stoops to 2020 and raised his base salary from $2.2 million to $3.225 million going from dead last in the SEC to the 6th highest. The chart below details the SEC coaching salaries before this latest extension:

coaches.jpg

Stoops announced at the press conference that his assistants would also be receiving raises in the near future.

As a Kentucky football fan, you must be very excited for the future. Stoops has done a great job in recruiting and coaching. They could be a serious SEC East contender in a year or so.

coaches.jpg

As a Kentucky football fan, you must be very excited for the future. Stoops has done a great job in recruiting and coaching. They could be a serious SEC East contender in a year or so.
That contract has a crazy bonus in it.

$250K if he gets 7 wins and $250K for every additional win over that.

The increase is a lot for a 7-13 coach who is 2-11 in conference.

Here's a thought though. Is MSU really that good - or is the SEC West that bad? We've been conditioned to assume that the SEC is top flight football, regardless of the on-field product. Because most SEC teams play a non-conference schedule that looks like a junior YMCA league, it's damn near impossible to pinpoint how good MSU really is. If you doubt this, just ask yourself if MSU is as good as Cam Newton's Auburn, AJ McCarron's Alabama or Tim Tebow's Florida.

OH FOR :censored: S SAKE...

The SEC West, in it's collectivity, has lost a grand total of one game outside of its own division. It is 23-0 in nonconference play, with wins over Texas Tech, Boise State, West Virginia, Kansas State, and Wisconsin. It is 9-1 against the SEC East, with the 1 loss being division basement dweller Arkansas losing to SEC East-leading Georgia. It's good and loaded and to argue otherwise makes you the worst kind of homer.

Now excuse me, I need to wash because I feel positively dirty for having to defend that division.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Kudos to Muschamp for the fake FG* call which went a little less than 30 yards for a TD.

The players seem to like Muschamp so I figured they would come out and play their asses off for him -- just took a 14-7 lead. I don't expect it to last but you never know -- they've got a little confidence now.

IUe6Hvh.png

Welp, it looks like the "longest" bowl streak in the country is going to snap this year, as the poor Hokies fall to 4-5 and still have to play at Duke.

Florida State is still going to the post-season to make their streak at 32. The 2006 Emerald Bowl win was vacated, not their bowl appearance.

Welp, it looks like the "longest" bowl streak in the country is going to snap this year, as the poor Hokies fall to 4-5 and still have to play at Duke.

Florida State is still going to the post-season to make their streak at 32. The 2006 Emerald Bowl win was vacated, not their bowl appearance.

Exactly why I put quotation marks around "longest".

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Gary Danielson must be watching a completely different game than his cameramen. He's having a really off day today.

With that said, Mark Richt is well on his way to his annual terrible loss.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived