Opinions that changed over time

OffCenteredScoreboard

not sure if this has been done before (probably) but whats a uniform that your opinion changed as time went on. A big example for me is Nashville Predator's yellow (gold?) jerseys. when it first came out i thought the yellow jerseys were disgustingly bad. while the horrible reebok template is horrible the color is unique and i enjoy seeing those jerseys on highlights. i think i started to like them when i went to nashville to see an isles preds game. seeing those jerseys in person really changed my opinion on them.

20130922_jla_bl6_102.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg

Red heads.

Oh, you meant logos and uniforms....um, Winnipeg Jets. Hated them when they first came out. Now, I love them.

Houston Rockets current set. I absolutely hated them. They'd be better with some gold, but I come to appreciate the details like the contrail piping.

200_s.gif

In the 1970s, as a kid, I loved the colorful uniforms of the Pirates, Padres, and Astros (to name a few). I also loved white panel caps, pullovers, beltless pants, and Astroturf. I don't like any of that now, preferring the traditional.

I loved when Bill Curry added black trim and black facemasks to Kentucky's football uniforms in 1993. Now I don't think it was such a great idea.

In the 1970s, as a kid, I loved the colorful uniforms of the Pirates, Padres, and Astros (to name a few). I also loved white panel caps, pullovers, beltless pants, and Astroturf. I don't like any of that now, preferring the traditional.

That's funny, I'm just the opposite. Back in the early 80's, I was in high school and just becoming aware of sports uniform histories. I hated all the out-there looks that started up in the late 70's and hit their peak in the early 80... I wanted every team to look like the Dodgers.

Now, I look back on that time and think about how much fun that was. Not that I'd want to see any of those looks come back, at least not as they were. But I would like to see some of that innovation and especially color come back. Padres in brown, A's in bright kelly, Astros multiple oranges...

I feel like my teenaged self pretty much got his wish... every team does look like the Dodgers. Turns out it sucks.

I have a number of random examples from my childhood. I did not like the Lions uniforms in the 80s, particularly the helmet. Eventually, into the 90s, I did. I now think the pre-black Lions helmet is top 5. The other NFL example I have is the Cardinals. It took me many years but I eventually loved the plain red jersey.

I hated the yellow/purple LA Kings look in the 1980s. It was not until after it was gone that I appreciated it.

In recent years, I guess I've become an old man; after a uniform's been around for a year or so,* my opinions don't change.

*Sometimes my initial reactions don't hold true and my real opinion takes a few months to come through. For example, the current Marlins: my gut reaction was "awful" but now I don't hate 'em. Same with the AZ Cardinals. I still think it's a downgrade but I've gotten used to it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's funny, I'm just the opposite. Back in the early 80's, I was in high school and just becoming aware of sports uniform histories. I hated all the out-there looks that started up in the late 70's and hit their peak in the early 80... I wanted every team to look like the Dodgers.

Now, I look back on that time and think about how much fun that was. Not that I'd want to see any of those looks come back, at least not as they were. But I would like to see some of that innovation and especially color come back. Padres in brown, A's in bright kelly, Astros multiple oranges...

I feel like my teenaged self pretty much got his wish... every team does look like the Dodgers. Turns out it sucks.

Oh, I'm certainly with you on the color part. That's why I think the early 70s were such a great era for baseball uniforms. There was color but on a traditional template. I'd love to see the Padres in brown and yellow, the A's in kelly, the Astros wear their orange caps and orange lettering, and the Pirates emphasize the mustard more.

When the Lightning unvieled their first Reebok edge set in 2007, I hated it and thought it was the worst Lightning uniform ever (I had grown quite fond of the 2004 Cup winning uniforms). Little did I know things could get worse, which is the case with generic awfulness that they wear now. Now, in this era of “modern” looking Reebok uniforms in the NHL, I miss the 2007/08-2010-11 uniforms and wish they could be brought back. I'm not sure why I get so worked up over their uniforms, as I am a Red Wings fan, but I miss them looking unique and interesting. Let Original Six teams look like Original Six teams and let young teams look creative. Traditional looking uniforms lose their appeal to me when every team tries to look “classic”. Sometimes it' s good for a uniform to look crazy and out of the box. Every team looks like a cooperation designed clone of every one else nowadays.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

When the Lightning unvieled their first Reebok edge set in 2007, I hated it and thought it was the worst Lightning uniform ever (I had grown quite fond of the 2004 Cup winning uniforms). Little did I know things could get worse, which is the case with generic awfulness that they wear now. Now, in this era of modern looking Reebok uniforms in the NHL, I miss the 2007/08-2010-11 uniforms and wish they could be brought back. I'm not sure why I get so worked up over their uniforms, as I am a Red Wings fan, but I miss them looking unique and interesting. Let Original Six teams look like Original Six teams and let young teams look creative. Traditional looking uniforms lose their appeal to me when every team tries to look classic. Sometimes it' s good for a uniform to look crazy and out of the box. Every team looks like a cooperation designed clone of every one else nowadays.

Yeah, thats a bunch on BS. You can't argue this is an era of "modern" design and they go on saying every team is playing original six dress up or "classic".

In fact, about 2/3 of the league is in a traditional stripe design versus the other 1/3 that are reebok edge templates/modern designs. From this data, the NHL is clearly in a traditional era. However I will retract my statement on this if you are arguing the "modern" as in jersey fabric becoming overly scientific.

To add to this discussion, the Edmonton Oilers. I think we can all ignore the Edge "practice" uniforms, but I constantly flip-flop on which color scheme works well. The original Blue and Orange contrast beautifully, yet on the other hand the Copper and Navy are very niche and also plays off the Oilers moniker respectively.

I should've worded that much better. I meant to say that trying too hard to look like your a team from a historical era is becoming a tired trend that needs to stop. I prefer wild and zany looks over traditional and close minded uniforms. I too, am begining to miss navy and copper Oilers. That look may not be anywhere near as beloved as blue and orange, but it was definitely an intriguing point in the Oilers uniform history that should not be forgotten.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Seattle's and Jacksonville's set (NFL). I thought at first that they were both garish and unnecessacary, but I really think that they reflect their teams well and like some of the elements from each (the teal numbers on Jacksonville's away jerseys makes this my third favorite NFL white set while I love Seattle's grey set because it's unique to them, and not much different than their away).

8044304.jpg

Richard-Sherman-Texans.jpg

When the Lightning unvieled their first Reebok edge set in 2007, I hated it and thought it was the worst Lightning uniform ever (I had grown quite fond of the 2004 Cup winning uniforms). Little did I know things could get worse, which is the case with generic awfulness that they wear now. Now, in this era of “modern” looking Reebok uniforms in the NHL, I miss the 2007/08-2010-11 uniforms and wish they could be brought back. I'm not sure why I get so worked up over their uniforms, as I am a Red Wings fan, but I miss them looking unique and interesting. Let Original Six teams look like Original Six teams and let young teams look creative. Traditional looking uniforms lose their appeal to me when every team tries to look “classic”. Sometimes it' s good for a uniform to look crazy and out of the box. Every team looks like a cooperation designed clone of every one else nowadays.

I agree that Tampa's current look is garbage, but their original Edge uniforms were neither unique nor interesting. They were just another recolor of the same template that the Penguins and Senators use.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived