PHOENIX: Rise (Phase 2) VOTING

crashcarson15

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone that participated in Phase 2! We had 38 entries submitted, though one had to be disqualified due to using an existing school's proprietary font. Additionally, 11 members signed up for this round and did not submit a concept — they will be barred from competing in Phase 3.

Voting should be conducted by ranking one's top five entries. Five points will be awarded for each first-place vote, four for each second, and so on. When voting, refer to the school's name. Note that this is different from last round.

Entry List

Voting will close Wednesday at 11:59 PM EST. Results will be posted the following day.

Members may not vote for their own entries. Do not disclose the identity of any entry, including yours.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

After talking with the Council, I'm going to allow the Cincinnati concept to be eligible — since the school just uses a version of Friz Quadrata for their graphic identity, it's not technically a proprietary font. While it's not what the Council necessarily wanted, there's a grey area there in which it'd be a legal entry.

6fQjS3M.png

Rice

Toledo

UL Fayette

Eastern Michigan

Georgia Southern

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

I didn't think any were flawless, but there was a good amount of creative design choices throughout. Here's my top 5:

1. UMass
  2. Tulsa
  3. San Diego State (idk how I could like something with multiple gradients, but I do)
  4. Northern Illinois
  5. Eastern Michigan

I want to share my honorable mentions too, since there was a lot of good work in this competition:

• Hawaii: I like how you incorporated the rainbow pattern; it just seemed like you used as many shades of green as Nike does with the Jets
  • Colorado State: The inclusion of their wordmark on the chest was smart and the color balance/choice of shades seems perfect, but it was a little weird to have the horns appear on the shoulders and the back
  • Toledo: Great picks with each of the logos you used, and I also really like the pants stripe (perfect abstraction for a Rocket), but the jersey patterns seem like the sort of already-dated modernism of the yoke-era Bills or any of the random piping teams
  • Navy: nice try of making their best uniform into a regular set with the Summer Whites, but it just doesn't translate to the dark uniform for me; I feel like that shade of blue is off too
  • Boise State: difficult task in coming up with only two sets of uniforms for a team that depends on so many looks (would almost be like having to do this for Oregon), but I like that you picked two core looks and kept the asymmetry that's been defining them; I just don't like the B pants logo and the shoulders seem bare to me
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived