PHOENIX: Rise (Phase 2) VOTING

crashcarson15

Honorable Mentions:

Middle Tennessee State (Probably would've been in the top 3 had it not been for the jersey numbers not being the same on the front and back)

Now I that I can respond to this...

The reason I didn't keep the name numbers front and back was to share a wider variety of numbers. The font is pretty unique so I thought it'd be better to show 8 than just 2 or 4 numbers.

Fourth is good, what a round!

spacer.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh hey, I got 5th. That's cool.

It would be interesting to know what guidelines were given to each contestant. Could the committee let us know when they let us know who did what concept?

Some of them were pretty easy to spot. Like mine. Guess...

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The Judges' Vote results are here! We generally agreed with the public but for the second straight round, we didn't have the public's top choice in our top five. Additionally, we had a tie for third so both entrants will receive three points. We voted as follows...

Judges' Vote

vQwYRjv.pngwyopokes2 (Tulane)

cMQQDoi.pngdsaline97 (Middle Tennessee)

nbweR1j.pngBlackBolt3 (Memphis) -and- HarperK (UMass)

Kb8srSN.pngdavidmiller5 (Tulsa)

Competition Standings

1. dsaline97 — 11
  2. davidmiller5 — 10
  3. HarperK — 9
  4. wyopokes2 — 9
  5. mbannon92 — 6
  6. marble21 — 5
  7. rsaline — 5
  8. BlackBolt3 — 4
  9. benji — 2
  10. bigmike — 1

Overall, some really great stuff, guys. I'll try and get the full manifest of who had who out if I get a chance but feel free to discuss your requirement and school if you want!

6fQjS3M.png

First off I would like to say thanks to the judges and voters. I appreciate it. I was given Tulane and tasked with incorporating lime green. I initially made a set revolving around the lime green but it came out looking too much like Marshall for my liking. This is when I decided to tweak it towards a look that I feel fits my vision of Tulane better. I included a white helmet in the set because I love their white lids. The font was chosen to fit in nicely with the wordmark and logo.

Here's the 2 initial concepts that I didn't submit (click to view full size):

15994196589_3b12785d30_m.jpg 15994465997_674687f93a_m.jpg

Looking forward to the next round! :)

Sweet, a crowd and judge favorite. Though I'm fairly sure that you guys have me Memphis because of what I did in the first event of this year's Logolympiad. ;)

On to my design, the duty assigned to me was to incorporate tiger stripes into the uniform. My main problem was that Nike's uniforms had done almost exactly what I would have done. Really, all I did to the jerseys was add the stripe pattern in the numbers. The helmet was my favorite thing to work on, and it's almost always the first thing I design. Memphis has always had a blue helmet, and while the chrome lids in recent years aren't too bad, there were other ways to incorporate that, like in the tiger stripes on the decals. I was this close to making an alternate chrome helmet, but I thought it diminishes the look. Black worked well with the color scheme, and I thought it should have a little more prominent role in the uniforms. All in all, there isn't much different I would do, except maybe have a little more white in the shoulder tiger stripes, but I'm proud of what I made.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Thanks to the Council and voters! Mine was MTSU. I was asked to incorporate a block, italicized font, similar to the primary logo they wear on the helmet.

Here's a behance file I submitted for the schools, it'll give a better explanation for the whole thing: https://www.behance.net/gallery/22231871/Middle-Tennessee-State-University

Thanks again everyone!

spacer.png

I was given Tulsa and had to incorporate the hurricane flag into the design. I thought it was a difficult challenge because it forced me to emphasize red and black, but they use those colors minimally in their designs. I left the pattern off of the jersey tops because I felt it would have been too busy to have the pattern on all three levels.

Congratulations to all the winners. It's a tight race, and I'm looking forward to the last challenge to see who can pull out the win.

award%20sig.png

I had UNLV and was given the task of emphasizing their being located in Las Vegas. It struggled with coming up with a design that was recognizable as Las Vegas but not over-the-top. I went with an emphasis on black over silver and included the (cutoff) outline of the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign on the sleeves and pants.

I'd love to hear what the voters and judges thought. It's definitely not what I would've done for UNLV if unrestricted.

I had NAVY, and the requirement was to use their split colored Pro Combat helmet.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I found it a bit difficult to really focus on the "V" logo for Fresno State, but I found a way and incorporated it into the sleeve stripes and I think it turned out well. Congrats to the winners, and looking forward to round 3!

spacer.png

I had Eastern Michigan and was asked to eliminate gray from the uniforms. I was happy to do that, made a number font similar to Oregon St and Minnesota. I liked the winged shoulders idea that Adidas has, but wanted to create something that was unique for the schools, hopefully you all liked it. I was thinking that any combination of helmet jersey and pants would look beautiful, but I had to show all the individual parts, so I couldn't show what I thought were the best combinations. I think G/G/W and G/W/G would have looked the best.

I was given Tulsa and had to incorporate the hurricane flag into the design. I thought it was a difficult challenge because it forced me to emphasize red and black, but they use those colors minimally in their designs. I left the pattern off of the jersey tops because I felt it would have been too busy to have the pattern on all three levels.

Congratulations to all the winners. It's a tight race, and I'm looking forward to the last challenge to see who can pull out the win.

I think you did an excellent job given that requirement. I had Temple and had to incorporate their candy-cane pants stripe on their jersey, so I can empathize with trying to balance a loud striping pattern. I do think the hurricane flag stripe seems a bit loud on the helmets, but the rest of the design was so great that I liked it anyways.

I had Eastern Michigan and was asked to eliminate gray from the uniforms. I was happy to do that, made a number font similar to Oregon St and Minnesota. I liked the winged shoulders idea that Adidas has, but wanted to create something that was unique for the schools, hopefully you all liked it. I was thinking that any combination of helmet jersey and pants would look beautiful, but I had to show all the individual parts, so I couldn't show what I thought were the best combinations. I think G/G/W and G/W/G would have looked the best.

I also ran into this, where as much as I hate the current trend towards giving teams a bunch of different helmets, jerseys, and pants to mix-and-match with, I felt inclined to design my sets with this in mind.

I'm not really sure I understand all the love for Tulane. It was a very clean concept that showed off some of the school's great color scheme (if given more options than one dark and one light set I'd hope there would be more blue and grey involved), but I felt like the design was generic, or at least traditional for a school I don't really associate with traditional.

Anyway, this was the first time I ever designed a uniform concept (the ones I submitted were my 2nd and 3rd attempts, after a first attempt ended up an Acres of Diamonds alt that didn't follow the candy-cane stripe requirement), so I wasn't expecting much. Very appreciative of the two votes and one honorable mention I got. I'll probably post my concept to the boards and try and get some C&C, since I wasn't completely satisfied with how I used the candy-cane stripe (and that might be my chance to make a design without having to use that).

Speaking of C&C, are we going to get any comments from the Judges like in Round 1? Was looking forward to that.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Yeah, I'll do my own bit of C&C and I'd encourage the other judges to do the same.

• Alecdom (Ball State) — Appreciated the effort here but felt the color change wasn't the way to go. Don't think it was necessary to distance BSU from Louisville.
  • Ashes of Astroworld (Houston) — Big fan of this. It's a bold, modern design that retrieves classic elements. The sublimation of the logo was a little too much and it would've been cool to either see stripes on the helmet or a white helmet option but that's mostly nitpicking. Well done.
  • ben5 (SMU) — It's a really solid design and felt it should've gotten more love. Color balance, though, I feel was an issue between the helmets and pants.
  • benjij (San Jose State) — The use of the spear in the helmet stripe was great, so props there. I'm still not sold on the number font though. It fits the Spartan theme but it's a little light for a jersey font.
  • bigmike (UTEP) — Superb look here for the Miners, Mike. Great job making a modern jersey look good.
  • BlackBolt3 (Memphis) — Well done here and good consistency throughout the design with the tiger stripe sublimation all around. Only would be nitpicking here.
  • brauny1280 (Cincinnati) — This is definitely what we wanted to avoid with the font but whatever. Didn't really like the charcoal choice for the home jersey, though the road one was alright.
  • BuffsFan (Wyoming) — There's not much here, honestly. Some random fill tool usage and a poor number font choice.
  • crkraider22 (BYU) — Solid if ever so slightly uninspiring. Only place I'd nitpick is the helmet logo — the classic "Y" would've probably been a better choice.
  • davidmiller5 (Tulsa) — Good design, great incorporation of the hurricane flags. Anything that I'd do here would be nitpicking; great job with the color balance.
  • Djruggs (UTSA) — Some decent ideas here. I like the asymmetry, the pants stripe, and the white helmet. But for some reason, it didn't all click.
  • dsaline97 (Middle Tennessee) — My favorite of the phase. Not sure there's much of anything I'd change. Great look; great job.
  • Fifty8BlackO (Georgia Southern) — The addition of gold was good but I felt the sleeve design was both unnecessary clutter and not really rendered the best.
  • fouhy12 (New Mexico State) — It's definitely bold and out there, which is what we asked for, but it's not necessarily done well.
  • GeauxColonels (Old Dominion) — I'm honestly not sure why this didn't get more love. The color balance was good, the design was really nice, and everything just looked great. One of my favorites.
  • H11K (East Carolina) — Nice, clean design. Can't really find any faults in it, though not the most inspiring thing in the world.
  • HarperK (UMass) — Love this design. Probably my second-favorite; everything works really, really well. The lone nitpick would be black numbers on the home jersey; they're a little tough to read.
  • Jake88 (UL-Lafayette) — This was a nice, clean solid design. I didn't like the helmet logo options on either one but it's a solid look for ULL.
  • jaker52 (Boise State) — I definitely appreciate the asymmetrical approach here but feel like it all could've been better assembled. The grey, blue, and white for the road look wasn't inspiring; the scheme doesn't work without orange IMO.
  • Julius Seizure (Hawai'i) — Good use of the rainbow pattern here without being too in one's face. Really solid design.
  • lafarge (Appalachian State) — Nice, good-looking concept here. Nothing to shock anyone but a look that'd work well for App.
  • logo-maker (Toledo) — Really like the home jersey. Piping is solid and clean and conveys the message well. Feel like the away jersey's piping is a little clunky though.
  • marble21 (Colorado State) — Really enjoyed the rendering of the ram helmet which was good — also liked the way you utilized that back vent as a space for your design.
  • mattb6 (Fresno State) — Dropshadowed font is classic Fresno State so props on using that. Nice, clean design and really like the way you incorporated the "V" into the sleeve stripe.
  • mbannon92 (UNLV) — I really liked this, though I would've made the Vegas elements a little more prominent. There's too much black on the road jersey for me as well but overall, this was a solid design.
  • MCH925 (UCF) — It's a clean design but there's not much here. It looks super plain without a wordmark or player names and that hurt this.
  • PaperThin (Kent State) — For once in my life, I kind of liked a gradient. It was a fine usage here and the bolts on the sleeve were a good element. Font choice was good too. Solid work.
  • philcar1994 (Rice) — I really liked the helmet here, though I think the contrast in the blues could've been a little stronger to emphasize the element. The jerseys though really let the concept down; it was just use of the fill tool and a font choice that wasn't really the best.
  • pollux (Navy) — This was one of my favorites. I felt everything worked really well in this set and really, I'd only change the "Navy" font to something that better matches the number font. Really strong concept.
  • pscf3 (USF) — General ideas, especially the striping, were good. Didn't like the inconsistency in logo applications though — either make them all the same color as the background or all the different color.
  • nxche (Arkansas State) — We gave you a bit of a tough assignment and I feel like there were some really good elements here. The chrome helmet looked really good but I'm not sure the claw marks were quite rendered well enough.
  • rsaline (Eastern Michigan) — Really, really solid design here. Showed how to make a classic, yet modern look with one color and white. Only nitpick would be the number font; I'm not sure it was necessary.
  • seattlesonicsofsacramento (Temple) — I absolutely would've used that unique, striped pattern more. The addition of the other stripe, while fine, clutters the design and keeps it from flowing well. I see two different ideas at play here which is really distracting.
  • SG89 (Miami) — Classic jersey striping is nice but the oversized hawk logo on the helmet wasn't the best choice to match the jersey style.
  • St Louis Cardinals (San Diego State) — The design is pretty solid and good use of the template, though the color discrepancies (or at least perceived ones) hurt the concept.
  • TalkToChuck (NIU) — Really liked this design. The number font looks good and you did a solid job with the color stipulation.
  • walkerws (North Texas) — The pride stickers on the helmet were a nice touch and you did a good job with the color stipulation; it's still generally a boring design though.
  • wyopokes2 (Tulane) — This is a really solid design. Traditional in striping but the number font choice makes the concept. Minor nitpick would be that I feel the white jersey and white helmet don't work well together.

6fQjS3M.png

My uniforms saved terribly, I'm not sure how that happened but the color was way off. The navy looked almost black. Oh well.

My design task was to keep the classic, traditional feel yet made it more distinct than it's current state of looking like a "child of Alabama and Penn State". My goal was to keep the uniforms simple but take a traditional style of stripe (Northwestern Stripes) and adjust them to look like a more custom design feature. it was supposed to be a stripe that morphed into wings (or was it wings that formed a stripe? Who knows?) but I do agree it could have been rendered a little better.

I'm really interested in all the other design tasks and hearing your explanations, this is a fun competition.

JiP6d6t.jpg

Archived