Thrift Store Gems 2015

johnnysama

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a Reebok XXL #7 Michael Vick Atlanta Falcons jersey and a Acme Packers winter hat with a pom pom. Left a Reebok XXXL Authentic #8 Sam Bradford St. Louis Rams jersey because they wanted $24.99 for it and left a creamsicle Tampa Bay Buccaneers trucker hat because I didn't like the fit.

I'm sorry, but Champion jerseys were the bottom of the barrel in the '90s. Extremely inaccurate fonts (except for the Bears), profound lack of attention to detail, and for the longest time on NFL jerseys, no shoulder/sleeve numbers, and a body that was full mesh, with no dazzle nylon. Wilson and LogoAthletic offered better products for the same price, and Starter and Nike were also of a higher quality, albeit with a slightly higher price point.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

When I started getting jerseys in 1994, Champion already used dazzle mesh on the shoulders and had shoulder/sleeve numbers. They did only use single-color NOB, until around 1997, though. And of course, you're right about them cramming that dearly departed Champion font onto every jersey that wasn't the Bears.

I had a Starter Jim Kelly jersey that I absolutely loved. They used the conference logos on the neck where the NFL logo goes. At that time, all replicas had a blank neck except for Starter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The ProLine jerseys (the top-of-the-line models) that looked more closer to the actual on-field product in those days also had the NFL logo @ the collar; but this only applied to jerseys made from the early 1990sish onward.

UBwef0L.png

I'm sorry, but Champion jerseys were the bottom of the barrel in the '90s. Extremely inaccurate fonts (except for the Bears), profound lack of attention to detail, and for the longest time on NFL jerseys, no shoulder/sleeve numbers, and a body that was full mesh, with no dazzle nylon. Wilson and LogoAthletic offered better products for the same price, and Starter and Nike were also of a higher quality, albeit with a slightly higher price point.

Those were the early 90's jerseys. I have a circa '92 Jim Kelly that sounds like the jersey you're describing... by the mid-90's, the body was mesh with dazzle yolk from the chest up, shoulders sported TV numbers, proper wordmarks were printed under the collars, etc... the only inaccuracy was the universal Impact nameplate font, but there's a quazi-vintage charm to that detail that I enjoy today.

The selling point on vintage Champion jerseys for me today is that you don't have to swim in them like most replicas.

Not really 'thrift store', but I bought a Rams Elite authentic Bradford jersey for $12, as well as the throwback alternate Bradford Nike limited jersey for $7. Got them at a Marshalls in Columbia, MO. I was never really a Bradford fan, but for those prices, it wasn't a hard decision. Root for the laundry, as they say...

From the flea market last week:

Two pairs of game-worn white Carolina Panthers pants, $15 total

Roanoke Dazzle game-worn (assuming) shooting shirt, $10 (left it... almost any other NBDL team would've been a go, but I wouldn't ever see myself wearing a blue satin shirt that says "DAZZLE" in big letters)

And at Goodwill today, I found a white swingman Gilbert Arenas Wizards jersey, tags still attached. "Cool, that might be worth $4..." Turned it around and it's autographed. Yep, that one came home with me.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I bought this one off Craigslist last week for $100. Not sure what it is. Maybe a prototype/salesman sample? (NYY started weatmring knit in 1973 and the tagging says this is from 1972.)

I don't even know who would know but I figured I'd get it and figure it out later.

12_image383.jpeg

12_image743.jpeg

12_image334.jpeg

oi7gxl.jpg

Also, scored all 29 of these as a lot off Craigslist (then somehow got another Blackhawks jersey and a Devils jersey at Goodwill for $3 each. Pretty good week!)

I would seriously purchase like half of these if you're looking to make a profit, particularly the hockey jerseys

Archived