Patriots logo: asymmetric star

_RH_

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never noticed how the outline is round even over the sharp parts. That's horrible. The logo is fine on a helmet, but as opposed to the Vikings, Eagles, and Seahawks who have separate primary logos, this one has to be squeezed in to small-square graphics boxes and used in other mediums where it has to be condensed to the point of being nearly unrecognizeable.

If their primary was like an "NE" type thing, or anything else in a more conventional shape, then maybe it'd be OK. However since that's not the case, it should go. Also - why whould there be a star right there?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i actually like the logo, but bigger issues with it have already been brought up; the key line and it's sometimes odd primary application (helmet).

6964066.jpg

in the above example it works really well. it might be better without the white key line but it fits on the helmet well, flows well around the shape of the helmet and occupies it's space with a sense of strength. there's no large, empty space on the helmet. to put it simply, there's nothing "wrong" about it

Tom+Brady+Houston+Texans+v+New+England+P

now on Brady's helmet it's a different story. i agree the silhouette of the logo flows well over the helmet and has qualities of the Chargers' bolt. but the warping of the logo creates a bit of a different illusion, plus you have this large empty space below it which is just annoying to me. i think why it looks so wrong is because you're used to seeing it flat, even on the jersey sleeve. every other application has a different visual flow to it and this helmet application is very different. the Broncos logo also suffers sometimes from the same problem.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i actually like the logo, but bigger issues with it have already been brought up; the key line and it's sometimes odd primary application (helmet).

6964066.jpg

in the above example it works really well. it might be better without the white key line but it fits on the helmet well, flows well around the shape of the helmet and occupies it's space with a sense of strength. there's no large, empty space on the helmet. to put it simply, there's nothing "wrong" about it

now on Brady's helmet it's a different story. i agree the silhouette of the logo flows well over the helmet and has qualities of the Chargers' bolt. but the warping of the logo creates a bit of a different illusion, plus you have this large empty space below it which is just annoying to me. i think why it looks so wrong is because you're used to seeing it flat, even on the jersey sleeve. every other application has a different visual flow to it and this helmet application is very different. the Broncos logo also suffers sometimes from the same problem.

The helmet logos were actually placed lower on the helmet during the Bledsoe years. I think they inched the logos up towards the top due to the holes in the Revo Speed helmet (though I'm not 100% sure on the timing of the subtle change).

The star doesn't bother me and actually adds charm to the logo, IMO.

My biggest gripe is that on some Nike and '47 merchandise, only the blue area is centered around the mid-point of the item, rather than the entire logo being centered. Thus, the red stripes are way over on the right side of the hat or shirt. Looks really stupid.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef.gif

Maybe I'm the only person who likes this logo better, but this gives you the same concept as the Flying Elvis without looking like a little smudge. Nice 4:3 ratio, or close.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe I'm the only person who likes this logo better, but this gives you the same concept as the Flying Elvis without looking like a little smudge. Nice 4:3 ratio, or close.

Sign me up for that one too. Best logo the Pats ever came up with.

I believe someone here said it looked like a logo for a credit union outside of Hartford, which was funny, but it's still better than both actual logos the Patriots used: one that was too detailed, one that was too insubstantial. Shame they didn't go with that.

This is off topic, but I don't understand some of the hate for these uniforms. Now that they've gotten rid of the side panels, I don't think it's a bad look. I wish the pants had a little more sheen, but still I don't think these are horrible.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

That is one clunky logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Clunky how? The rendering isn't top-notch, which I wouldn't expect from a rejected logo that was practically a tall tale until a couple years ago, but conceptually, it flows well. Give that logo a proper ren69ing and it'd be excellent. Even as it stands, it's better than the Flying Elvis and Pat Patriot (which is not without its charms in a Bucco Bruce of-course-a-team-this-incompetent-would-use-this sort of way).

This is off topic, but I don't understand some of the hate for these uniforms. Now that they've gotten rid of the side panels, I don't think it's a bad look. I wish the pants had a little more sheen, but still I don't think these are horrible.

It does look better without the side panels, but brighter colors would go a long way for their identity all around.

That is one clunky logo.
I don't know exactly how to describe why I don't like it, but "clunky" comes pretty close. It's behind both actual logos for me.

It's clunky not only from its awful rendering, but it screams "hey, I drew a Patriot head, I should throw some stripes behind it in a random way and we'll be cool". The current logo is damned near perfection for the Patriots.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's not random at all. Using the head as the canton of the flag is quite obviously planned. If anything, Flying Elvis is a patriot head with stripes behind it in a random way!

What side panels did they get rid of? The red piping is still there. Still there on the white jerseys too.

I think the Patriots' home blues are some of the best under the lights.

I would love as a future compromise is turn their road whites with red accent, like their throwback. Blue & grey homes, red & white roads.

Sounds just like a team from New York.

Clunky how? The rendering isn't top-notch, which I wouldn't expect from a rejected logo that was practically a tall tale until a couple years ago, but conceptually, it flows well. Give that logo a proper ren69ing and it'd be excellent. Even as it stands, it's better than the Flying Elvis and Pat Patriot (which is not without its charms in a Bucco Bruce of-course-a-team-this-incompetent-would-use-this sort of way).

I agree with most of your logo logic and taste except for this one. There is no flow. If we ren69ed this old logo, it'd probably look pretty similar to the flying Elvis.

A 4:3 rectangle logo on a round helmet just doesn't look right, IMO. The Bucs sort of do this. Do we really need two rectangle flag-logo teams?

As I think about it, I guess one option (way down the list) would be to have a clipart football with red and white stripes, and a thin blue outline. That'd be an instantly iconic logo for the Pats :upside:

Archived