NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Seeing as ppls quotes aren't appearing in my replies... please someone explain that for me...

LA would definitely have more 'parties &/or other functions' than most other locales. Keep in mind it's a media capital of N.America, the SB is in effect a 2 week event, tons of easy access celebs & infrastructure, & also many many tourists.

There are reasons the NFL probably isn't going back to Jacksonville FL even if it is decent SB weather.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as ppls quotes aren't appearing in my replies... please someone explain that for me...

LA would definitely have more 'parties &/or other functions' than most other locales. Keep in mind it's a media capital of N.America, the SB is in effect a 2 week event, tons of easy access celebs & infrastructure, & also many many tourists.

There are reasons the NFL probably isn't going back to Jacksonville FL even if it is decent SB weather.

LOL the weather is the least of the reasons the SB will never again be in Jacksonville.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

RUMOR ALERT!

If you read the context (I'm giving some but not all of it), Miklasz isn't reporting this, just passing it on in an "anything could happen and rumors will be flying" sort of way. And since that's the context we're in right now, I figured I'd share it here.

I heard a wild one earlier this week. Kroenke is so determined to set up shop in LA, he has an alternative plan in mind if the NFL blocks a move there. Kroenke would sell the Rams and buy 49 percent of the Raiders as part of anchoring the team to his planned 80,000-seat venue in LA. And then Kroenke would purchase the remaining 51 percent from Raiders owner Mark Davis at a later date.

If you think this sounds too crazy to contemplate, just remember: That’s EXACTLY how the Rams made their way from Los Angeles to St. Louis in 1995.

Kroenke bought 49 percent of the Rams from team owner Georgia Frontiere. The deal came with the right of first refusal for Kroenke to buy the remaining 51 percent when Georgia or her family sold the team.

The move from LA to STL wouldn’t have played out unless Kroenke stepped up to buy the 49 percent as the first step in his eventual franchise takeover. It was a condition for a move. The strategy worked for Kroenke once. It could work for him again.

The rumor mill will be churning out all sorts of wacky speculation, and that’s another aspect of living through a bizarre, lame-duck 2015 season.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-what-are-rams-fans-supposed-to-do-now/article_d31bfb5a-6405-5b4a-90fc-4edd7dd9d060.html

One note: Miklasz incorrectly states that Kroenke bought 49% of the Rams in 1995 subject that they move to St. Louis and with the right of first refusal for the majority share. The actual number was 40%.

Well considering Mark Davis doesn't even own close to 100% of the franchise I would take this with a few grains of salt.

I hope they name it the Raiderdome and don't go all corporate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey ST LOUIS FANS all those of you that did not want Rush Limbaugh buying part of the Rams, you know he would have likely kept them in St. Louis too, being from Cape Geradeau.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Hey ST LOUIS FANS all those of you that did not want Rush Limbaugh buying part of the Rams, you know he would have likely kept them in St. Louis too, being from Cape Geradeau.

It wouldn't have mattered, Tank. Stan Kroenke had the right of first refusal. He could match any bid for the majority stake. They had a buyer that would keep the team in St. Louis in Shad Khan. That wasn't the issue. Kroenke exercised his right.

Nope. I can't remember if Limbaugh commented on whether he'd keep the team in St. Louis, but that may not have mattered either. Kroenke vowed to do everything he could to keep the team in St. Louis when he bought them.

Anyways, here's a live stream of the STL stadium unveil. Should start in the next few minutes.

http://www.ksdk.com/videos/news/local/2013/11/12/3144211/

I'll find some photos to post soon, but the stadium looks great. Right up against the North Riverfront.

If the funding is there, I don't see how the NFL can leave St. Louis without a team. They're talking costs of $800-900 million, and they expect the NFL to commit $200 million and an owner to commit a minimum of $200 million.

For my tastes, that's a bad deal if they don't get more committed from the owner. But if that's the deal that happens, how does the NFL walk away from that?

Not sure how the funding is there. When asked for specifics, pretty much every answer was "I don't know", "we don't know yet", "there are experts out there who know more than me so they can figure that out". When asked about if the public would vote on it, the answer was something like "I don't know how that all works". He said something like the public wouldn't pay directly through taxes or something like that, but then didn't say where it was coming from.

"You say this isn't because of LA, but then why wasn't it done last year"

"I don't know"

Then he has the nerve to encourage fans to go to games and spend money on the team.

He did seem to make a decent case for St Louis being a legitimate NFL market when he was quoting the business statistics, and that it should be looked at as a relocation option for other teams (he pretty much sold me on it as a fall-back option for whoever loses on LA), but realistically the tone implied that the Rams are gone. Funny how he mentioned the Chargers and Raiders in that statement.

I only saw the drawings that were behind him, but it did look pretty cool.

RUMOR ALERT!

If you read the context (I'm giving some but not all of it), Miklasz isn't reporting this, just passing it on in an "anything could happen and rumors will be flying" sort of way. And since that's the context we're in right now, I figured I'd share it here.

I heard a wild one earlier this week. Kroenke is so determined to set up shop in LA, he has an alternative plan in mind if the NFL blocks a move there. Kroenke would sell the Rams and buy 49 percent of the Raiders as part of anchoring the team to his planned 80,000-seat venue in LA. And then Kroenke would purchase the remaining 51 percent from Raiders owner Mark Davis at a later date.

If you think this sounds too crazy to contemplate, just remember: That’s EXACTLY how the Rams made their way from Los Angeles to St. Louis in 1995.

Kroenke bought 49 percent of the Rams from team owner Georgia Frontiere. The deal came with the right of first refusal for Kroenke to buy the remaining 51 percent when Georgia or her family sold the team.

The move from LA to STL wouldn’t have played out unless Kroenke stepped up to buy the 49 percent as the first step in his eventual franchise takeover. It was a condition for a move. The strategy worked for Kroenke once. It could work for him again.

The rumor mill will be churning out all sorts of wacky speculation, and that’s another aspect of living through a bizarre, lame-duck 2015 season.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-what-are-rams-fans-supposed-to-do-now/article_d31bfb5a-6405-5b4a-90fc-4edd7dd9d060.html

One note: Miklasz incorrectly states that Kroenke bought 49% of the Rams in 1995 subject that they move to St. Louis and with the right of first refusal for the majority share. The actual number was 40%.

I can't see this happening for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that he'd have to have a willing seller in Mark Davis, which he doesn't.

Yeah, but nobody would like a team that's owned by a douchebag with that high a national profile.

nav-logo.png

So, here's the gist of St. Louis' stadium proposal:

- The stadium will cost between $860 to $985 Million

- Between $400 to $450 Million will come from the NFL and the Rams

- Stadium would also serve a soccer (MLS) team

- There's also little mention for the Rams in the proposal--mostly of "an NFL team"

- Peacock: "We are talking about a revitalization of our downtown."

Wasn't the money split supposed to be 1/3rd the whole way through? Even in the best scenario, that's over $410MM coming from the public ($860MM-$450MM=$410MM); that's still nearly half the price for the stadium.

I won't lie, it does look like a great venue, but Kroenke seems to have his mind made up. The language from the St. Louis supporters seems to be setting their sites on another team besides the Rams.

I'll find some photos to post soon, but the stadium looks great. Right up against the North Riverfront.

If the funding is there, I don't see how the NFL can leave St. Louis without a team. They're talking costs of $800-900 million, and they expect the NFL to commit $200 million and an owner to commit a minimum of $200 million.

For my tastes, that's a bad deal if they don't get more committed from the owner. But if that's the deal that happens, how does the NFL walk away from that?

Well, future Super Bowl AMIRITE ST. LOUIS??? Just $500 million in public funds to help a guy married to a Walton!

GR30a5H.png

So, here's the gist of St. Louis' stadium proposal:

- The stadium will cost between $860 to $985 Million

- Between $400 to $450 Million will come from the NFL and the Rams

- Stadium would also serve a soccer (MLS) team

- There's also little mention for the Rams in the proposal--mostly of "an NFL team"

- Peacock: "We are talking about a revitalization of our downtown."

Wasn't the money split supposed to be 1/3rd the whole way through? Even in the best scenario, that's over $410MM coming from the public ($860MM-$450MM=$410MM); that's still nearly half the price for the stadium.

I won't lie, it does look like a great venue, but Kroenke seems to have his mind made up. The language from the St. Louis supporters seems to be setting their sites on another team besides the Rams.

Well if I am thinking straight, that means only the Raiders or Chargers. My question is if St. Louis has "failed" twice, would anybody else dare to go there?

I realize that this stadium will likely never see the light of day, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I don't like it. Football stadiums don't need to be "destinations" like baseball parks, but this one is far too soulless and New-Comiskey-circa-1998 for me, especially if they're actually going to waste riverfront space on it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Renderings are nice, but they forgot all the important details. Let's see where the money's coming from, because the state has already said it's not coming from tjem.

Extending the current bonds and up to $130M in new PSLs.

I did find this funny. Credit Andy Carlson

B67ZDo6CIAE7jGr_zpsed1fa5d3.jpg

Archived