NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

General life advice: if you have to remove/disable a safety mechanism to do what you want, maybe rethink things.

Ironically, the pointman who convinced the committee to remove the cap was the chief competitor of Adelson. It was MGM Resorts' Bill Hornbuckle*, whose has the most rooms on The Strip.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/ed-graney/mgm-s-buy-was-key-las-vegas-stadium-project-gaining-recommendation

*- If you believe Adelson's own newspaper.

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not really a good idea in general, but for the moment we'll play along.   Wonder what Hornbuckle wants?

I think the crux is here:

Those at MGM Resorts never hid their position: While they weren’t totally against using public funds toward the 65,000-seat stadium, they believed plans to expand and renovate the Las Vegas Convention Center took precedent. There was also that underlying issue about MGM Resorts’ privately funded T-Mobile Arena having to compete for events against a stadium that will be publicly funded at such a significant level.

But when the committee voted unanimously in July to recommend the $1.4 billion convention center project, it allowed MGM Resorts to glance directly at the stadium proposal. When it did, the largest employer in the state with the most hotel rooms on the Strip — the company that will delivery most of the room tax revenue allocated for the project — saw it as a unique opportunity.

They own a ton of hotel rooms and are part owners of the T-Mobile Arena.  They got their preferred convention center project approved first (and now this, also) to sell hotel rooms, and they figure people won't notice or care about a couple bucks a day extra for their hotel rooms.  The T-Mobile Arena issue was probably leverage, as a football stadium doesn't really compete with an arena for events.  The convention center expansion was probably their focus all along.

Chargers view a move to Los Angeles in 2017 as increasingly inevitable

What the f-ck, how can something be "increasingly inevitable"? There aren't varying degrees of inevitability; it either is or it isn't. That's like saying my drug test came back somewhat positive.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Chargers move to LA is reportedly "inevitable". The vote for a new San Diego Stadium is expected to fail and the Chargers will have to exercise their option to share Los Angeles with the Rams starting with the 2017 season.

Then again, there's this from Friday's Union-Tribune

The Chargers are staying here,” (former Chargers General Manager A.J.) Smith said on (local radio) Wednesday. “They have to do a deal. … The reality is, there is no option. There is an option, but it will never be exercised.”

Smith’s assertion, really, was simply an on-the-record declaration of what many in and around the league have privately opined – that the Chargers will remain in San Diego. It is widely believed the NFL not only wants the team in San Diego but that Kroenke does not want the Chargers in his new home.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-acee-20160917-story.html

so who the hell knows?

I don't think the NFL wants to lose either California market, and I think both Kroenke and the league know Los Angeles is still too delicate a football market for a second team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

What the f-ck, how can something be "increasingly inevitable"? There aren't varying degrees of inevitability; it either is or it isn't. That's like saying my drug test came back somewhat positive.

I think you're over exaggerating here...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Does the Raiders relocating to Las Vegas keep the A's in Oakland? Or are they still doing everything in their power to move to San Jose?

Las Vegas Athletics. 

LVA's

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived