NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This league is going to eat itself and the only people who don't see it coming are Goodell and the owners. You can't keep :censored:ting on your customers like this and expect them not to turn it off. I'm pretty much already there. 

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion. When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I’m just telling you, when you got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns against you.”

-Mark Cuban, March 2014

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/mark-cuban-nfl-implosion-facebook

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

And it's relatively close to San Diego, which might be worse than if they moved to St Louis or something. If they move far away the fans can completely sever ties, but now they're in the same geographical region, they'll be on local TV and radio, just taunting their old city.

I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a Chargers fan. If the Bengals moved to Columbus would I continue to root for and cheer for them? Probably, but it'd be half-hearted and I definitely wouldn't drive 100 minutes north for games. What's just as likely is I would stop watching the NFL altogether. 

I feel for Chargers fans and their bad owners and the helplessness therein. I am fully preparing myself for the Bengals to leave town in 10-15 years when Paul Brown Stadium is ~30 years old and they ask the city to build them another stadium and this time people will tell them to kick rocks. 

This is me with the Nets. Was never a true fan anyway, but that resurgence they had with Kidd and Co for a few years was fun largely because they repped Jersey. They're of course terrible in Brooklyn, but I lost my interest in them when they went just over the river even though that's where they started and it's not far at all. (Of course, i don't live there anymore...) So I dunno, it's difficult for sure to decide when the move is still in the region. 

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

The Spanos family is an embarrassment and their legacy will be ripping a franchise that had been in one city for 55 years away from that city.  The NFL should also be ashamed, too. You had a real shot to keep the Chargers in San Diego. All about the mighty dollar. This greed, coupled with hubris, eill do this league in. To San Diego, I really feel for you. At least you still have the Padres...right? Right? 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

And it's relatively close to San Diego, which might be worse than if they moved to St Louis or something. If they move far away the fans can completely sever ties, but now they're in the same geographical region, they'll be on local TV and radio, just taunting their old city.

I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a Chargers fan. If the Bengals moved to Columbus would I continue to root for and cheer for them? Probably, but it'd be half-hearted and I definitely wouldn't drive 100 minutes north for games. What's just as likely is I would stop watching the NFL altogether. 

I feel for Chargers fans and their bad owners and the helplessness therein. I am fully preparing myself for the Bengals to leave town in 10-15 years when Paul Brown Stadium is ~30 years old and they ask the city to build them another stadium and this time people will tell them to kick rocks. 

It's more like if the Philadelphia Eagles had moved to New York. Given the absence of team in Philly they'd probably still be on TV and radio in Philly despite playing in NYC. Even though it's a completely different market/region as LA and San Diego are two separate markets/regions.

3 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

The Spanos family is an embarrassment and their legacy will be ripping a franchise that had been in one city for 55 years away from that city.  The NFL should also be ashamed, too. You had a real shot to keep the Chargers in San Diego. All about the mighty dollar. This greed, coupled with hubris, eill do this league in. To San Diego, I really feel for you. At least you still have the Padres...right? Right? 

Right now I would admire Philip Rivers opting for retirement.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

A question about StubHub Soccer Specific Stadium...is there any possibility of capacity expansion?

They can bump it up to 30,000 with some temporary bleachers in the north end. But that's about it.

Just now, jmac11281 said:

Yikes. MAC football have bigger capacities. Not that the NFL and/or the Spanos care about that.

What's going to be great, is watching them play there and it be half empty. And mark my words they will not sell out every game. Not with the crap team they field and the fact they have very few fans in LA (and very few coming up from SD).

LA Radio stations just did a "power rankings" of the local teams in terms of popularity. Clearly this is subjective. But such subjective opinions from public sources can have some influence on reality.

Lakers

Dodgers

UCS FB

Rams

UCLA BB

Clippers

Kings

Angels

Ducks

Chargers

Galaxy

LAFC

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

They had 20 years to "fight for LA" and over 30 years to "fight for San Diego" - and, well, we see the results. Good luck with that.

Exactly. If Los Angeles was so damn important to the Chargers like the Spanoses said 10 or so years ago, they should've just moved there already. Instead, they've just sat on their hands until it became apparent that the Rams wanted to come back, then they kicked up a stink about that, then the Rams did move back, and now they're going to be the pre-Chris Paul-and-Blake Griffin Clippers. It's oh so appropriate that their abbreviation will be "LAC."

As for San Diego, I can't help but think whether another Big 4/MLS team eventually comes to San Diego to fill the Chargers' void. While I'm not one to ordinarily vouch for southern markets in the NHL, the support the AHL Gulls have led me to think that San Diego could have an outside chance at an NHL team (if, of course, they can get an ownership group and a new arena). Maybe that's where the Las Vegas Golden Knights wind up. I dunno.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived