NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

18 minutes ago, Wings said:

Ripping this off from ESPN:

By 2018 the Los Angeles metropolitan area will have 2 teams in every major sport

NFL: Rams, Chargers

NBA: Lakers, Clippers

MLB: Dodgers, Angels

NHL: Kings, Ducks

MLS: Galaxy, LAFC

College Football: USC, UCLA

And unlike in MLB and the NHL, neither team will have a geographic niche. It'll be like the Lakers and Clippers: one team has a more established fanbase, while the other plays second fiddle even in the best of times.

New York has mostly dodged those problems in all four sports (as has Chicago in baseball), though it's starting to be an issue in the NFL here as well. But unlike the Jets, who have a well-established, albeit smaller, fanbase (especially out in Queens and Long Island), the Chargers won't even have that advantage. They will be the Clippers to the Rams' Lakers.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Will the Chargers be in Memorial Stadium too? Or are they playing StubHub? Seeing an NFL team play regular games in a 25,000-stadium is the only reason I'm interested in the move. 

Otherwise, my condolences to San Diego Chargers fans. The business of sports is cruel.

USC's master lease with only allows for one NFL team.  The Coliseum Commission and the California Science Center Board would need to approve a second team by amending the 99 year lease.

I'm a Chargers fan living here in L.A. (not much of one in recent years though), and I live within ten minutes of the Inglewood stadium site...I guess I should happy they're making the move north, but I just hate the idea of the Chargers leaving San Diego.  Up here, unless they start winning again, they'll be lucky to draw more fans than UCLA does at the Rose Bowl.

Thinking of this too...it'll be the fifth newest ownership group to come to town in the last five years or so--Dodgers, Clippers, LAFC, Rams, and now the Chargers.

So much for the idea that the second LA team is an idle threat.

Ugh.  I'll miss the Chargers.  And it's really going to be interesting to see how well two teams do in a city that did not seem to be particularly excited to get one for nearly two decades.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Apparently the Chargers are going to spend the next two years at the StubHub Center. What a joke. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing an NFL game in a stadium that seats only 27,000. At least they won't have problems with selling out the stadium.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/chargers-will-play-at-stubhub-center-in-2017-18/

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Hahahahahahahahaha

The Los Angeles Football Clippers.

And I say that as a proud Clippers fan. Nah fam. Deano you should've made it work in SD. Not only did you gamble it all on a town that WON'T give you any play as football squad not named Rams or Raiders, but you probably lost the SD fans too. I don't see very many of those "I'm a LeBron fan, not a Heat fan" type people sticking around.

Boy is Dean lucky the Rams already have a spot paid for because he'd have the same problem in LA as he did in SD. "Y'all not gon help me pay for this?" No Spanos. No they wouldn't have.

It seems like the Raiders moving to Vegas is a done deal (I think the main reason Mark Davis is doing this is that he's trying to get fans in Bakersfield, CA., and other fans in the Inland Empire region of California as well as Las Vegas itself), I was wondering if Oakland could get another NFL team, and resurrect an old name and logo for the new team : the Oakland Invaders!!!   The logo would be the same one that the Oakland Invaders used back when the original Invaders franchise was in the USFL.   Any thoughts?   The NFL did say that they were very hesitant to abandon the East Bay Area.   This way, everyone kinda gets what they want .   Would get the Oakland Invaders name & logo be hard or impossible ??

10 minutes ago, DawgNBama said:

It seems like the Raiders moving to Vegas is a done deal (I think the main reason Mark Davis is doing this is that he's trying to get fans in Bakersfield, CA., and other fans in the Inland Empire region of California as well as Las Vegas itself), I was wondering if Oakland could get another NFL team, and resurrect an old name and logo for the new team : the Oakland Invaders!!!   The logo would be the same one that the Oakland Invaders used back when the original Invaders franchise was in the USFL.   Any thoughts?   The NFL did say that they were very hesitant to abandon the East Bay Area.   This way, everyone kinda gets what they want .   Would get the Oakland Invaders name & logo be hard or impossible ??

As much as it seemed nice for them to return to Oakland in the 90s, it was a horrible decision financially. Oakland has never REALLY supported the Raiders the way they expected. And though Mount Davis was built, it's a hack-job of a stadium that ruined it for the A's and the Raiders are 'second fiddle'.

The move was a brash 'show of power' by Davis, and it backfired horribly. He left a highly profitable market that was impossible to survive in due to horrifically oversized venues (Coliseum and Rose Bowl were both way too big for NFL prices) that put them under the blackout rules of the time AND with mandatory scheduling put them under the sun in the afternoon to start the season (similar problem Arizona ran into).

If Raiders move, there's no way they get another team. San Francisco won't want it as they can claim the whole bay for marketing and tickets. And with Levi's stadium attendance being what it is, the competition just won't allow them to be complacent. Secondly, Oakland SHOULDN'T build a stadium for an NFL team. Just as I don't think San Diego should. Even in Las Vegas, the government is putting in about 3/8th the total cost, which is a lot, but it's not as bad as it could be.  It's still private enterprise doing it.

Davis doesn't have the money to do it. And the fanbase isn't large enough to finance such a stadium themselves. The only option to stay 'in Oakland' would be to pull a NY/LA and join the 49ers at Levi's. And I don't think the NFL really wants that, let alone because they've just agreed to do it with Los Angeles.

8 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I really hope they put the Chargers brand out to pasture with this move. At least if they’re gonna be pulled out of San Diego, they might as well make it a clean death. Call em the Los Angeles Whogivesa :censored:s and leave the Chargers brand to the city of San Diego. Even if they never get resurrected Browns style, at least the city has that to hold on to rather than having to see their team continue on in a city most San Diegans absolutely hate.

I hope you're right, the Chargers name needs to stay with San Diego.  Start fresh in LA

Archived