NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Chargers using the Georgia Frontiere method of burning all good publicity with their fans before a move?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Add the Panthers to the list of teams who could wind up in LA.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2012/11/chamber-chief-says-nfl-exit-scares.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+charlotte_blog_queencity+%28Charlotte+Queen+City+Agenda%29&utm_term=%23cltcc+&page=all

I have no idea what kind of fan support they have, but they've had a crummy team for quite a while, so I'm not overly concerned with attendance numbers anyways.

But I guess they're looking for publicly funded renovations on a stadium built in 1996. The relatively unique part of their situation is that the team owner owns the stadium, so there's no complicated lease. If he wants to up and leave, he can do so.

On the other hand, I'd think his ownership of the stadium might be a reason to try extra hard to get things worked out there, but the article doesn't take that viewpoint.

Anyways, just as with the rest, nothing imminent, but seemed worth posting.

Add the Panthers to the list of teams who could wind up in LA.

http://www.bizjourna...cltcc &page=all

I have no idea what kind of fan support they have, but they've had a crummy team for quite a while, so I'm not overly concerned with attendance numbers anyways.

But I guess they're looking for publicly funded renovations on a stadium built in 1996. The relatively unique part of their situation is that the team owner owns the stadium, so there's no complicated lease. If he wants to up and leave, he can do so.

On the other hand, I'd think his ownership of the stadium might be a reason to try extra hard to get things worked out there, but the article doesn't take that viewpoint.

Anyways, just as with the rest, nothing imminent, but seemed worth posting.

Yeesh. That would sure be weird not having the Carolina Panthers around.* That said, Jerry Richardson doesn't sound like the type to just pull up stakes and move.

*Unlike their 1995 expansion brethren, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Even though things are looking up for Jacksonville now, the possibility of no Jacksonville NFL team was quite real at one time.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

An update on the process in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/print/sports-section/stadium-lease-arbitration-set-for-mid-january/article_8f78f3e4-57dd-5832-bf33-6c626cc3e6e9.html

Key points:

• Arbitration begins January 14 and could take weeks or months. Nothing is set.

• Little if any negotiations have taken place lately, instead all sides doing fact-finding and research.

• Some thought that negotiations could pick back up after the election season (when it's more known who will be in what positions).

• "Sources" and "experts" anticipate this going to arbitration and believe the ruling is much more likely to side with the Rams, but that's just informed speculation.

The main thing to take away is that we're still 2 full months from the beginning of arbitration and could be 3 or 4 or more away from a ruling. My hunch remains that the arbitration rules more in favor of the Rams than the CVC, the CVC rejects it, and THEN an agreement is negotiated between the two with the arbitrators' ruling as a base. But I'm just guessing like anyone.

It will be interesting to find out.

Personally, and I've said this all along, my sense is that if the arbitrator rules for the Rams, then they'll be in LA within a year. The Rams won't throw away their advantage when at their strongest, and St. Louis won't be able to pay for their obligations.

The way they stay in St. Louis is if the arbitrator rules unlaterally for the CVC and the Rams are thus bound by it.

My response to that hasn't changed, but I'll state it again.

I think it comes down to Kroenke's motives. And we don't know them. We see this sort of thing in other negotiations, especially in sports.

If Kroenke is truly a "free-agent," truly looking for the best offer he can get, then I agree with you. In that situation, if the arbitrator rules in his favor and the CVC rejects it (and can't come close to matching it), he'll go take his best deal in LA.

But, if his goal is to get a good deal and the best possible one in St. Louis, then I think we're looking at something else. He'll take the CVC to the brink, he'll truly find out what their best possible offer is. And in this situation, if it's at all reasonable, he'll work it out from there.

We don't know his intentions at all. So I'll play the optimistic St. Louisan, buy into all his St. Louis ties, and believe his goal will be to stay in St. Louis.

That's been the routine. Heh.

Just was doing some more reading... just re-wording of the article I posted before, but it made something jump out at me a little more.

If the arbitration is accepted, whatever it may be, the Rams are then locked into the duration of the lease. But the duration of the lease is only to 2025. So by the time the improvements would be made, you're looking at only 10 or 11 years of guarantee for potentially the 3/4 the cost of a brand new stadium, one that would supposedly be one of the best in the league.

Now, the Rams are, of course, entitled to that due to the contracts in place. I'm not arguing that there's any sham going on. It was a bad deal, but it was the deal.

But I guess what I'm getting at is that I very much see the possibility for a newer re-worked deal coming out of this. The Rams aren't likely to just set aside all their leverage, but I could certainly see them coming to an agreement on something beyond the current lease, something that won't have this same thing be a hot topic again in 8 or 9 years.

$700 million in improvements for an 11 year guarantee may be the Rams right, but it's not realistic. Again, the ball is (more than likely) in Kroenke's court. How does he want this to end?

The Rams VP of Football Operations and COO did another chat on the Rams website. He addressed the lease situation a few times. They're quoted below. I'll add some comments in a follow up post.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1705?a_id=2

Brad Redfern , Galesburg IL

I read on STL Today that arbitration begins in January regarding the status of the dome. How certain are you that a deal can be done, and if one can't be reached have you guys talked about building a new stadium somewhere else in the St. Louis region?

VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff, Brad, I'm excited that the arbitration process will finally get going in January and help bring some clarity to the First Tier Process. In February, the CVC set out their vision for what would make the EJD first tier and in May we set out our vision for what would make the EJD first tier. Unfortunately, we don't have the same vision for the buidling, but that is what the arbitration clause was designed for. It will be helpful to have three neutral arbitrators look at the two plans and give an unbiased opinion as to what is needed to improve the Edward Jones Dome and make it a first tier stadium. That should provide a good starting point for us move forward and come up with a solution that works not only for the Rams but makes the EJD a destination for Super Bowls, Final Fours, Mizzou football, bowl games, SEC championships, concerts, international soccer games, etc. That has to be the goal of this process, to have a building that not only serves the CVC's purposes for conventions but also is a great draw for events to come to the city of St. Louis.
Justin, St. Louis

Kevin, thanks for doing these chats and keeping transparency with the fans. Much appreciated. Regarding the lease situation. Many fans believe the team will leave St. Louis once their lease is up. You have addressed this and calmed some nerves, yet there are many fans, who are antsy because of the past history with the football Cardinals, that believe it's all PR talk and the team still has a solid chance of leaving. What would you tell these fans? Thanks as always.

VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff,

Justin, I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to fan sentiment regarding the lease situation. In most cities, fans assume that a deal will ultimately get done at the end because that is what happens in the majority of stadium discussions. Unfortunately, St. Louis has been one of the few cities that has lost a team and therefore I think our fans have greater fear regarding this team leaving than most fans do in other cities. The thing I would tell our fans is to judge us by actions, not by words. In January we went out and hired the most sought after head coach on the market to help improve the team. We spent $100m on the first weekend of free agency to improve the team. For the first time since the team arrived we hired a new head coach and GM in the same year to drastically change our football operation. We have spent the past three years building up our regional pre season television network to broadcast our games in 12 markets and 9 states surrounding St. Louis. We now have weekly shows on every major network in St. Louis, a project we started from scratch in 2010. Every home game since 2010 has been televised, including the preseason. Last year we spent nearly 5,000 hours in the community between players, coaches, staff and cheerleaders and we were named Philanthropic Organization of the Year in St. Louis in 2010, the first sports team to win that award in the 35 year history of the award. Does that sound like a team that isn't focused on getting in right in St. Louis for the long-term?

Mike R., Jackson, MO

Thanks for taking our questions. It is always good to hear your remarks and I really appreciate your enthusiasm for your job. Many of us on these chat boards are concerned about thr future and about having an NFL team in St. Louis. Is there anything anyone can do to reassure Rams fams that the long-term goal is to stay in St. Louis.

Mike, there isn't a single day that the 125 members of this organization aren't focused on two things -- winning football games and giving our fans a better gameday experience in St. Louis. That is our driving passion and what makes all of us excited to come to work. We have great fans and we owe our fans a winner and a team you can be proud of both on and off the field, a team that is fan-friendly, community-oriented and accessible. If we do our job right, I have no doubt that the Edward Jones Dome will be 66,000 loud and strong and there will be no doubts about St. Louis as a great NFL market. We haven't done our job right over the past few years and I promise you we will get it right.

Aaron Ross, Cadet, MO

I've always loved the rams since they came to St louis, but, I think I'm speaking the mind of most fans. When can we expect some news on the lease situation and some confirmation that you will be in ST louis for many years to come? Because I miss the days of just worrying about football on Sunday's...

Aaron, unfortunately I think the lease situation may take some time to unfold, but that's not a bad thing. The goal of this process has to be getting a first tier facility that takes the question where the Rams will be in the future off the table once and for all. Then we can make sure all of the focus is on what binds us all, our passion for the Rams and the games on Sunday.

As is always the case, words are words. And even the past actions Demoff refers to aren't a new lease agreement, and that's the only action (or lack thereof) that will ultimately matter.

But these are obviously comforting things to continue to read. I think the first question (that I posted) is one of the most important. It's the discussion Gothamite and I have been having a lot in this thread.

Demoff says that the Rams will view the arbitration outcome as a STARTING POINT. The Rams are giving the impression that they're willing to work on this beyond the arbitration, which I theorized would be the case if their goal is to remain in St. Louis. Everything they say and do suggests it is. Again, we'll only know when we really know though.

Just to reiterate that part...

... It will be helpful to have three neutral arbitrators look at the two plans and give an unbiased opinion as to what is needed to improve the Edward Jones Dome and make it a first tier stadium. That should provide a good starting point for us move forward and come up with a solution that works not only for the Rams but makes the EJD a destination...

Pretending that St. Louis will be able to dislodge either of the SEC's crown jewels from Atlanta is high comedy, though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pretending that St. Louis will be able to dislodge either of the SEC's crown jewels from Atlanta is high comedy, though.

What do you mean? I have to admit to not reading the whole chat if that refers to something else.

That should provide a good starting point for us move forward and come up with a solution that works not only for the Rams but makes the EJD a destination for Super Bowls, Final Fours, Mizzou football, bowl games, SEC championships, concerts, international soccer games, etc. That has to be the goal of this process, to have a building that not only serves the CVC's purposes for conventions but also is a great draw for events to come to the city of St. Louis.

The Super Bowl and Anheuser-Busch Brewski Bowl are also kind of silly now that I think about it as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh I gotcha. I'm actually not sure about that, though. The Georgia Dome is pretty mediocre. I have trouble believing it's any better than the EJD CURRENTLY is. So if they turn the EJD in to a truly top tier facility, I think it could be considered.

That said, I would think there'd be some other cities/venues that would also be considered if they were thinking about moving it.

I also think Super Bowls are doable if unlikely.

Final Fours, Mizzou games, Concerts, and International Soccer games are all very plausible. I'm actually not sure about international soccer games so much as I am about Arsenal exhibition games.

The Georgia Dome is mediocre, but it has that whole located-in-the-vector-of-SEC-country thing going for it, and unlike Chicago being the arguable vector of the Big Ten, greater Atlanta's residents and governments actually seem to give a damn. It's hard to like the chances of any serious SEC championships winding up "all the way out" in St. Louis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived