NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The Georgia Dome DID have a major renovation a few years ago, so I'm not sure facilities concerns are that much of a problem. But yeah, given Atlanta's status as cultural capital and logistical hub of the Southeast, they won't give up the big SEC stuff easily.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Georgia Dome DID have a major renovation a few years ago, so I'm not sure facilities concerns are that much of a problem. But yeah, given Atlanta's status as cultural capital and logistical hub of the Southeast, they won't give up the big SEC stuff easily.

Yes, but also the Falcons are looking into a new stadium in Atlanta so there must be some issues with the GA Dome.

I've been around the bowels of the stadium a couple times in the last year. I think stadium flaws tend to be overstated, as most will do just fine at their intended purpose. The Georgia Dome (like the Edward Jones Dome) is no different.

But it's not anything particularly nice. It did look like some of the bars and suites had probably been upgraded recently. But as a whole, it's a pretty drab facility.

Problem is that the "intended purpose" changes. New revenue streams and audience enhancements come into vogue, which may or may not be possible to graft onto an aging facility.

I understand that. I'm just saying the EJD roughly equals the GA Dome.

The primary difference is that one building operates with a lease that allows it's tenant to demand major upgrades.

St. Louis thinks it can wrest some SEC stuff from the inferior facilities of the Georgia Dome if they spruce up the joint, though this would be roughly akin to making all the Big Ten drones schlep out to Pittsburgh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, but also the Falcons are looking into a new stadium in Atlanta so there must be some issues with the GA Dome.

The issue with the Georgia Dome is that it's 20 years old and not a modern marvel of the world like JerryWorld and the Cardinals' stadium. But even if Atlanta builds a new stadium (which looks to be a few years down the road, at the earliest), no way the SEC Football Championship game leaves Atlanta for St. Louis. From what I've read, the Georgia Dome is going to stick around, even if the Falcons play in another venue in town. The Dome will continue to host the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, Georgia State football, high school football games, the SEC Championship, etc. The state of Georgia actually owns the building (Arthur Blank just owns the operating rights)....no way they take down the building when they've got plenty of other events they can stage there. Possibly, the Georgia Dome could entice an MLS team, though I doubt that ever happens.

Besides....I read "SEC Championships" as a possible shot for the basketball tournament, which wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Does the Georgia Dome have any use as a concert/convention venue when it's not football season, and does that affect Philips Arena? I know part of the reason Soldier Field is such a useless dump is to make sure the United Center is the best venue in the city. Having an NFL stadium, NBA arena, and general-use dome could crowd the marketplace.

We're all getting caught up in a throw away comment by the Rams VP/COO trying to talk up why it's good for the city to go in on this investment. Maybe the SEC part of his statement wasn't valid, but he was right to illustrate the point that a marquee venue can get marquee events for the city.

Does the Georgia Dome have any use as a concert/convention venue when it's not football season, and does that affect Philips Arena? I know part of the reason Soldier Field is such a useless dump is to make sure the United Center is the best venue in the city. Having an NFL stadium, NBA arena, and general-use dome could crowd the marketplace.

The Dome gets a few concerts, but Philips Arena's main competition is the Gwinnett Arena, about 30-40 minutes up the road.

The Georgia Dome and the adjacent Georgia World Congress Center are both owned by the state, so they each host a ton of conventions (more so the GWCC than the Dome). The Dome hosts a lot of college and high school graduations as well as your usual large-venue events (monster trucks, SuperCross, etc.)

I don't think the Georgia Dome losing 10 Falcons dates will affect Philips Arena much at all.

Wish I could've had my high school graduation in the Georgia Dome. I had it in an overpacked gymnasium that smelled like farts and the kinds of people to whom it would occur to wear Brett Favre jerseys to their children's graduation.

I can't see this becoming more than a minor speed bump with the Vikings stadium deal, but it may be worth noting.

http://pro32.ap.org/content/dayton-vikings-tussle-over-stadium-seat-fees

Basically, the Vikings want to cover part of their share with Personal Seat Licenses, which isn't uncommon. The Governor (and apparently the Mayor) are adamantly opposed. The legislation passed gives the Vikings the right to do so but only if approved by a 5-man committee made up of 3 governor appointed members and 2 mayor appointed members. So there may be a fight.

I have to imagine that even if the Vikings lose that fight, they'd eventually just cough up the extra cash to get the deal done.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't the Coliseum considered to be a temporary venue if a team moved to LA? Or did USC getting more control of the Coliseum take it out of the running?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived