NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Same thing happened in Dallas when the Bears were in town.

. . . which really surprised me. I've always thought (perhaps erroneously) that the Cowboys have pretty loyal fans.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... other than not yet talking to anyone whose opinion actually matters, they're ready to proceed?

Still, it's notable that there are local developers eager to get in on the Bills, since the conventional wisdom is that only Ralph Wilson's heartbeat is keeping them in Buffalo.

Same thing happened in Dallas when the Bears were in town.

. . . which really surprised me. I've always thought (perhaps erroneously) that the Cowboys have pretty loyal fans.

Troy Aikman disagrees. And he really ought to know.

Interesting. He would certainly know better than me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Packers fans invaded Lucas Oil Stadium a couple of weeks prior. That's what happens when you have a great and established fan base rooting for a very good team with a game in a relatively close city who's team is at best rebuilding.

Again, current fan support is going to play the most miniscule of roles in this negotiation.

In the negotiation between the two parties? Sure. That's not really at issue.

In what the stadium authority is willing to pay? It's possibly relevant. Teams with large and vocal fanbases are easier to give public dollars to than teams that are (rightly or wrongly) considered to have lukewarm support.

In Kroenke's overall evaluation of the market? That's extremely relevant as he's considering his options.

Do I think this will be a deciding factor? Not at all. But I could easily see a circumstance where it tips the scales of a very close call just enough.

St. Louis has been a home away from home for midwestern teams since at least 2006. It's not unique to this year or to Packers fans. I don't think it counts against them too much; ultimately, asses in seats are asses in seats.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

St. Louis has been a home away from home for midwestern teams since at least 2006. It's not unique to this year or to Packers fans. I don't think it counts against them too much; ultimately, asses in seats are asses in seats.

To whit, I can recall instances in which the stadium was taken over by Chiefs fans, Bears fans, Packers fans, Browns fans, Steelers fans (Marshal Faulk's jersey retirement was that game and was accompanied by a liberal chorus of boos), Cowboys fans, and I think even Colts and Saints fans. Best fans in baseball!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Packer fans take it to another level. I'm pretty sure they've helped the Chargers avoid blackouts before.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

St. Louis has been a home away from home for midwestern teams since at least 2006. It's not unique to this year or to Packers fans. I don't

think it counts against them too much; ultimately, asses in seats are asses in seats.

Packer fans take it to another level. I'm pretty

sure they've helped the Chargers avoid blackouts before.

Oh yeah, I remember that last year, you could hear "Kuhn" in San Diego. With that said, teams like the Pack and Steelers will always have a solid amount of fans at any road game, like when Pittsburgh visited the 49ers on Monday Night, there was a decent amount of Steeler fans.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

2006 you say?

2005: 6-10

2006: 8-8

2007: 3-13

2008: 2-14

2009: 1-15

2010: 7-9

2011: 2-14

Again, the fan support via Rams fans in seats isn't particularly hard to comprehend. It, like the team, is improving this year, but going to take a little more before fans are buying up all the seats weeks in advance.

This is getting into "same old, same old" talk, but there are not 32 markets (potential or current) that are going to sellout NFL games unconditionally. I'm not sure there's more than a handful that will, really.

Most markets require at least a modicum of potential winning. St. Louis is finally getting that.

But St. Louis is in the LA conversation entirely because of their lease and not at all because of their fan support. I'll agree with what Goth said earlier—fan support could be a tiebreaking sort of issue—but it's not what has created this situation and it's not going to be the primary motivation for any resolution.

I've noticed a lot--and I use "a lot" in a most relative sense--of the NFL's English fans are fans of the Patriots. Is this because their name has "England" in it? Or do they have a begrudging respect for sports teams named after triumphs over their colonial sprawl? Maybe that new Indian football league can start a team called the Gandhis just to play one lucrative home game a year on the sceptred isle.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've noticed a lot--and I use "a lot" in a most relative sense--of the NFL's English fans are fans of the Patriots. Is this because their name has "England" in it? Or do they have a begrudging respect for sports teams named after triumphs over their colonial sprawl? Maybe that new Indian football league can start a team called the Gandhis just to play one lucrative home game a year on the sceptred isle.

Apparently it's because the Pats were winning Super Bowls when the NFL started to get big over in the UK. The name thing is an ironic bonus.

Yeah I would imagine that is much more down to their recent sucess and subsequent bandwagoners than any meta-reference to do with the name.

As Ice_Cap says though, you never know with the Brits.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Well, it appears that the last remaining legal obstacle has been cleared from the path of Anschutz Entertainment Group's $1.2 billion Farmers Field stadium project in downtown Los Angeles.

http://www.latimes.c...0,2320349.story

AEG has pledged $15 million to a low-income housing trust fund, promised to pay for additional park space and traffic and air pollution mitigation in the neighborhoods surrounding the proposed stadium, and committed to hiring disadvantaged workers on the project. In exchange, a coalition of anti-poverty groups has agreed to drop a lawsuit that sought to invalidate a recent California state law that limits legal challenges against the 72,000-seat stadium.

Given that the deadline for filing environmental challenges to the stadium project has now passed with no such lawsuits being filed, AEG possesses the entitlements necessary to begin construction when it likes.

In the wake of the deal, AEG President Tim Leiweke said, "We could literally push dirt tomorrow." He added that he believes the odds of AEG attracting an NFL franchise during the league's next owners' meeting in March of 2013 are improved, as the company now has "the ability to stand up and say, 'Everyone in the community is behind this'."

Leiweke also indicated that an announcement about a new owner for AEG - which billionaire Philip Anschutz announced he was selling in September - could "come sooner than people expect."

Archived