NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

It's not exactly football-related, but it does involve Ed Roski. Reportedly, Roski may have a change of heart of his pursuit of building a NFL stadium in the City of Industry, and instead he's focusing his attention on a certain baseball team literally down State Highway 57, and building a ballpark for them instead.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201209205591/major-league-baseball/features/angels-majestic-realty-talking-new-ballpark-in-city-of-industry-report

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not exactly football-related, but it does involve Ed Roski. Reportedly, Roski may have a change of heart of his pursuit of building a NFL stadium in the City of Industry, and instead he's focusing his attention on a certain baseball team literally down State Highway 57, and building a ballpark for them instead.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201209205591/major-league-baseball/features/angels-majestic-realty-talking-new-ballpark-in-city-of-industry-report

Actually it's Moreno driving this particular rumor. And it's more for his benefit than anything else. With AEG not interested in helping him build a downtown LA stadium, Moreno needs another plan to play off Anaheim to get concessions from that city. Either on further improvements to Angel Stadium or on an outright replacement.

Actually it's Moreno driving this particular rumor. And it's more for his benefit than anything else. With AEG not interested in helping him build a downtown LA stadium, Moreno needs another plan to play off Anaheim to get concessions from that city. Either on further improvements to Angel Stadium or on an outright replacement.

I think it's going to be an outright replacement eventually...Moreno wants so desperately to be in L.A. proper, he'll do what it takes to make it happen. The Angels have four years left after this season on their lease with Anaheim, and by then, the Big A will be fifty years old. Even with the mutli-billon dollar deal the Angels recently signed with Fox this past offseason, having a Los Angeles (County) address might bring more cache to the franchise.

The pundits sure don't think AEG will go to a single buyer.

That depends upon which pundits you're talking about. I've read and heard a variety of sources proffer the names of the likes of business magnate-tech guru Larry Ellison and physician-philanthropist Patrick Soon-Shiong as individual multibillionaires who have already inquired about the possibility of purchasing AEG in its entirety. Similarly, firms such as Guggenheim Partners (recent purchasers of the Los Angeles Dodgers) and Colony Capital (former owners of sports properties including Paris St. Germain and the Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan Dome) have reportedly "kicked the tires" about buying AEG lock, stock and barrel.

And so far all the ones I've found seem to think at the very least this will delay an LA stadium by several years best case.

Again, that depends upon who winds-up with AEG. There are those who believe that the purchase of the company and its subsidiary assets by a respected, well-liked, locally-based figure such as Soon-Shiong could actually speed up the Farmers Field development process.

I don't know anything about him, but to the right buyer, the potential stadium would be an incentive to buy the company. That's one of the company's assets, and potentially a very valuable one. Not necessarily just a project to be scrapped, now that all the hard work is done.

I think it's going to be an outright replacement eventually...Moreno wants so desperately to be in L.A. proper, he'll do what it takes to make it happen. The Angels have four years left after this season on their lease with Anaheim, and by then, the Big A will be fifty years old. Even with the mutli-billon dollar deal the Angels recently signed with Fox this past offseason, having a Los Angeles (County) address might bring more cache to the franchise.

Not sure where you think he'd end up in LA proper. Not like there are many sites to choose from right now that make sense.

Not sure where you think he'd end up in LA proper. Not like there are many sites to choose from right now that make sense.

Personally, I think they're better off staying in Anaheim just simply because they established a history of their own in 45+ years there, and the fan base is pretty much entrenched there (and by extension, Long Beach/SE Los Angeles County and the Inland Empire). Other than perhaps the San Fernando Valley, the Westside, or the Industry/Grand Crossing site, I'll agree that there aren't too many other places in and around L.A. to build. Even in SFV, you'll have another Arlington situation where you'll have 90 and 100-plus degree game-time temperatures late in the season on the regular; I doubt they want to build a retractable-domed stadium.

I just think Moreno wants to be done with Anaheim, especially with all of the legalities he had to go through in-regards to the team name and the such.

I agree that's probably the first. But I'm equally convinced there will be a second team soon after.

It would make more sense for them to be the second team. They already have a presence in LA. The first team into LA will be heralded, but the second team will miss a great deal of that fanfare unless they are currently marketed to LA (Chargers) or have a bunch of LA fans who grew up rooting for them (Rams). If the Chargers move into LA and the, say, Jaguars move in two years later, the Jags are going to be a clear #2 for a good long time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

LA City Council Approves Farmers Field

_

_Every legal hurdle has been cleared. The money has been allocated.

_

_All we need is a football team.

At this point, I don't care who moves to Los Angeles, I just want a damn football team here. I'll support the hell out of any team here in LA, after the Cowboys, of course.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I agree that's probably the first. But I'm equally convinced there will be a second team soon after.

It would make more sense for them to be the second team. They already have a presence in LA. The first team into LA will be heralded, but the second team will miss a great deal of that fanfare unless they are currently marketed to LA (Chargers) or have a bunch of LA fans who grew up rooting for them (Rams). If the Chargers move into LA and the, say, Jaguars move in two years later, the Jags are going to be a clear #2 for a good long time.

I couldn't agree more. I've been saying it for years - the second team into LA (never doubting for a moment that there will be a second team) will be at a marketing disadvantage, consigned to "little brother status", unless it's a team with an already-established presence in the market. Which means Rams or Raiders.

I don't think it'll be the Raiders for several reasons, but I'm much more confident that it will be the Rams.

Did you notice the mention in the article that the vote was attended by a group of fans in blue-and-gold Rams jerseys? Pretty sure Kroenke did.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I still think it's the Bills. They have a 93 year-old owner with no publicly-revealed successor, zero money for a new stadium, little money for upgrades to the current stadium and a lease that was extended this year... through the end of the 2013 season.

So glad I was directed to this topic. This is huge news! I'm a Cowboys fan first but to finally have a home team excites me. I posted an article on this(sorry, didn't know this was the NFL LA thread) earlier that says a team could be in place by March. These talks must be heating up between AEG and the NFL if they expect to have a team that soon.

So glad I was directed to this topic. This is huge news! I'm a Cowboys fan first but to finally have a home team excites me. I posted an article on this(sorry, didn't know this was the NFL LA thread) earlier that says a team could be in place by March. These talks must be heating up between AEG and the NFL if they expect to have a team that soon.

The NFL isn't who they need to be talking fortunately. They need to be talking to the individual team owners. And so far none have wanted to sell to AEG on the terms AEG is offering. Nor has the NFL been amenable to the terms AEG was previously offering. Now that might have changed, but so far I'm not seeing it. Particularly not until AEG's sale is complete.

The NFL isn't who they need to be talking fortunately. They need to be talking to the individual team owners. And so far none have wanted to sell to AEG on the terms AEG is offering. Nor has the NFL been amenable to the terms AEG was previously offering. Now that might have changed, but so far I'm not seeing it. Particularly not until AEG's sale is complete.

I don't know who but I wouldn't be surprised if talks are going on with an owner or two. Not saying it is happening but a lot of things start out from behind closed doors.

Archived