1974 WFL Charlotte Hornets

pagan696

Man - so weird to see how old those pics look. I vividly remember watching WFL games on TV when I was kid.

And of course, I was drawn to the SoCal Sun uniforms right away...but also liked the Portland Thunder's logo - seemed like a tie-in of sorts with the Trail Blazers.

Man - so weird to see how old those pics look. I vividly remember watching WFL games on TV when I was kid.

Agreed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Agreed.

Thirded.

We're old.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Count me as another oldster. I was a WFL Houston Texans fan. Saw at least two games in the Astrodome. I even saw a San Antonio Wings game at Alamo Stadium. Somewhere in a box of stuff I have an audio recording of the radio broadcast of the Texans' first regular season game on cassette. They lost to the Chicago Fire.

FsQiF2W.png

Glad to see all the old-timers here on the board commiserate together.

We should start a club? No members born after 1970.

Now get off of my lawn! You're disturbing my nap! :cursing:

Also in the old timer's club (I'mmmm FIFTY!), and also remember watching the very first TVS broadcast game of the WFL in my market, which was the New York Stars vs. Jacksonville Sharks. 9 years old a the time; I remember thinking that most of the names, colors, and logos were pretty cool. I also clearly remember seeing a news story about the move of the Texans to Shreveport.

As I got a little older and more seriously into logos and such, I became more interested in the failed league. However, back then it was almost impossible to find out solid info on it. One of the first things I researched when the internet came about was the history, logo, photos, etc. of all the WFL teams. It blew my mind when I saw that the Southern California Sun actually used magenta and orange (I had only seen black and white photos of their logo).

Two other points:

• The story I've read is the "C" with the star logo was actually a Chicago Bears "C" decal with the left point cut off. Something about them being readily available and a quick fix from the equipment manager.
  • Colorwerx, the Portland Storm WAS renamed to the Portland Thunder in year 2 of the WFL (three other teams were also renamed in year 2: Birmingham, Jacksonville, and Chicago).

It is what it is.

Weirdly enough I've had a fascination with the WFL ever since I was about 11 or 12 years old, I guess because of its short, failed, but memorably weird existence. I love the story how a lineman for the Chicago Fire once said that he'd been offered a million dollar contract,"A dollar a year for a million years!" They also experimented one time with Color/key-coded pants, a different design for each position, to help more people understand the game:

pants_plan_01.jpg

I've got to say that the San Antonio Wings had one of the coolest looking helmets I've ever seen:

!BzSPoRQ!2k~$%28KGrHqIOKi!E%29MmUjknMBMV

I wonder if my Dad remembers anything at all about the WFL (he was 14/15 at the time). For all I know he might have been a Southmen fan.

All hail the Dickerod!

ICXC NIKA

neat card site Jones. crazy pants RT.

die-cut_cards_03.png

the stand up set back shows the evolution of the Hornets helmets. i have only seen the last style helmet before (yellow w hornet) and not the ones in the CO photos.

B, i was born in '71 so i'll have to wait outside another year :P

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

B, i was born in '71 so i'll have to wait outside another year :P

You won't suddenly be born in 1970 as of next year. Maybe we can just make Age 40 the cutoff so you can join now.

While we're at it, we can revive the "Hottest Over 40" thread.

I feel obligated to do this every time something about the WFL is posted here. This is a replica I made for the 30th Anniversary Reunion of the Birmingham Americans/Vulcans in 2005. George Mira thought I had his old helmet. I also had him autograph a replica jersey I made with his number 10.

wflmira.jpg

I feel obligated to do this every time something about the WFL is posted here. This is a replica I made for the 30th Anniversary Reunion of the Birmingham Americans/Vulcans in 2005. George Mira thought I had his old helmet. I also had him autograph a replica jersey I made with his number 10.

wflmira.jpg

That's a sharp looking helmet, and the WFL had a number of good designs on the uniforms as well. I'm a fan of the widely hated Southern California Sun uniform, they just didn't care what the reaction was going to be. The Hawaiians, Blazers, Americans, and Hornets are my other favorites from that league.

Also in the old timer's club (I'mmmm FIFTY!), and also remember watching the very first TVS broadcast game of the WFL in my market, which was the New York Stars vs. Jacksonville Sharks. 9 years old a the time; I remember thinking that most of the names, colors, and logos were pretty cool. I also clearly remember seeing a news story about the move of the Texans to Shreveport.

As I got a little older and more seriously into logos and such, I became more interested in the failed league. However, back then it was almost impossible to find out solid info on it. One of the first things I researched when the internet came about was the history, logo, photos, etc. of all the WFL teams. It blew my mind when I saw that the Southern California Sun actually used magenta and orange (I had only seen black and white photos of their logo).

Two other points:

• The story I've read is the "C" with the star logo was actually a Chicago Bears "C" decal with the left point cut off. Something about them being readily available and a quick fix from the equipment manager.
  • Colorwerx, the Portland Storm WAS renamed to the Portland Thunder in year 2 of the WFL (three other teams were also renamed in year 2: Birmingham, Jacksonville, and Chicago).

About the Chicago Bears "C", yes that's right. The Stars were visiting the Chicago Fire when they got notice that they had "moved" to Charlotte. So they borrowed some Bears decals and slapped them over the NY Star. For one game only, they were the Charlotte Stars. The next week, they used the white C and became the Charlotte Hornets.

Archived