Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

Guest darkpiranha

Okay, I think you're in the "nailing it" stage of this identity, so no more comments from me. Just keep the wonderment coming.

Back to the chess knight. I sincerely hope that guy will exist somewhere eventually. Maybe an all-chess league, or all-games league, a'la Jabberwockey Hockey. As much as I think the star sword is the right identity for THIS team, I still like the chess knight better. I'm glad it exists. Give it a home!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this shift in direction. There are a few issues I have with some of your options so far. I like the idea of the sword monogram, but if I didn't know you were going for an LV I wouldn't see it. I think it's the angle of intersection that you have the swords at.

I like your knight logos, the card one especially is great. But I think all of them are a bit too detailed. If it'd be possible to streamline the details and colors to look similar to your War Horse logo, I think they'd be stronger.

Finally, my brain had a hard time reading the "a" in the "Las" part of the new logos. I can't really figure out exactly what it is about it (Maybe it needs to be moved closer to the Vegas part?), but the more I look at the logos the less it matters so make of that what you will.

Good stuff! I love the War Horse logo, I feel like it's enough of an allusion to the chess piece that it works fantastically.

Wow. Wow. Wow. These are incredible. I love how you changed the chess house into something more connected with Vegas. Best of both worlds. Your other logos are also fantastic. Can't wait to see the unis!

^ horse

spacer.png

Hi there.

One thing I've noticed here is this: You definitely have a great idea when it comes to what you visioning. Everything has come out great.

That being said, I feel the horse logo is your strongest. That thing is superbly sharp.

I feel this might be a case for you to do something similar to the Rangers. Medieval font wordmarks across the chest, the Horse and Shield logos on the side.

That war horse logo is an absolute beauty, Sparky. I think it should definitely be a secondary logo, not "just" a mascot. It's just that good. But not just this one. This goes for the entire rest of your logo package.

I really, really hate to say it: Both knight logos look absolutely gorgeous, especially the "more serious" version! But I have to agree with @suplauren that both of the logos are too detailed, at least a bit too much. All the details are top-notch and thoughtfully placed as usual, but maybe, since it's an NHL project and minimalism in logo design is getting more and more important, you could remove some of the details, for example, by streamlining them as @suplauren suggested or remove some of them completely. I also totally agree with him that an already beautifully executed logo would even get a lot stronger through this.

This is another great thread. Can't wait to see your next uploads. Keep it up!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

i like the horse as the primary as well.. i think you could subtly hide the true "identity" of the horse and leave it up for imagination/speculation as a "warhorse" or "chess knight".. either way, it fits the "Knight" imagery.. also, could use it to play off of "dark horse" theme later in certain situations.... but i think abandoning it because it doesn't reflect "Las Vegas" or the "Knights" theme is a mistake, because you could argue that it works well with both, and it's just such a darn good logo..

and one other thought.. perhaps for a tertiary logo maybe?.. what if you found a way to creatively fashion a hockey stick with a sword handle?.. not sure how possible it would be to create a cohesive concept with that, but it could look really neat if you could pull it off..

What about having the knight on a rearing horse kinda like this http://dashinvaine.deviantart.com/art/Templar-on-Rearing-Horse-digi-192827066

credit to Dashinvaine from deviantart

Thanks NOVA...

Might be a little too much for a primary logo, but that would look great on an L.A. 'Knights t-shirt.

I like this shift in direction. There are a few issues I have with some of your options so far. I like the idea of the sword monogram, but if I didn't know you were going for an LV I wouldn't see it. I think it's the angle of intersection that you have the swords at.

I like your knight logos, the card one especially is great. But I think all of them are a bit too detailed. If it'd be possible to streamline the details and colors to look similar to your War Horse logo, I think they'd be stronger.

Finally, my brain had a hard time reading the "a" in the "Las" part of the new logos. I can't really figure out exactly what it is about it (Maybe it needs to be moved closer to the Vegas part?), but the more I look at the logos the less it matters so make of that what you will.

Good stuff! I love the War Horse logo, I feel like it's enough of an allusion to the chess piece that it works fantastically.

Thank you suplauren.

I took your advice and narrowed out the "V" in the "LV" monogram.

I also fixed up the letters in the "Las Vegas" word logo...

So, I've got some usable script concepts for t-shirts and stuff...

bk-052.jpg

I really, really hate to say it: Both knight logos look absolutely gorgeous, especially the "more serious" version! But I have to agree with @suplauren that both of the logos are too detailed, at least a bit too much. All the details are top-notch and thoughtfully placed as usual, but maybe, since it's an NHL project and minimalism in logo design is getting more and more important, you could remove some of the details, for example, by streamlining them as @suplauren suggested or remove some of them completely. I also totally agree with him that an already beautifully executed logo would even get a lot stronger through this.

Hi Go!

Yeah, the Knight logos are a little too much.

I simplified the "real knight" a tad, but he's still a little much for a primary.

They'll come in handy for some merchandising concepts.

Thanks.

Both Knights look phenomenal.

I see the cartoony Knight in use for kids very easily. The shield it has looks phenomenal.

You're right SG. He'd be good for some children's stuff. Thank you.

bk-053.jpg

i like the horse as the primary as well.. i think you could subtly hide the true "identity" of the horse and leave it up for imagination/speculation as a "warhorse" or "chess knight".. either way, it fits the "Knight" imagery.. also, could use it to play off of "dark horse" theme later in certain situations.... but i think abandoning it because it doesn't reflect "Las Vegas" or the "Knights" theme is a mistake, because you could argue that it works well with both, and it's just such a darn good logo..

Thanks Punter. You're right...

Hi there.

That being said, I feel the horse logo is your strongest. That thing is superbly sharp.

I feel this might be a case for you to do something similar to the Rangers. Medieval font wordmarks across the chest, the Horse and Shield logos on the side.

Hi W. I like your idea of a diagonal script "Las Vegas" sweater.

With so many visitors to the city, (and not all of them hockey fans) a sweater with "Las Vegas" on the front might be a big seller.

Wow. Wow. Wow. These are incredible. I love how you changed the chess horse into something more connected with Vegas. Best of both worlds.

Thanks Crabcake. The horse as a secondary could work in "warhorse" mode.

Back to the chess knight. I sincerely hope that guy will exist somewhere eventually. Maybe an all-chess league, or all-games league, a'la Jabberwockey Hockey. As much as I think the star sword is the right identity for THIS team, I still like the chess knight better. I'm glad it exists. Give it a home!

I think, darkp, that I'm gonna give the horse a home right here (but not as a chess piece as you have rightfully suggested).

It will make more sense as this concept proceeds.

Thanks dp.

So, finally...

Here's my secondary...

bk-055.jpg

Primary...

bk-044.jpg

Uniform Line-up...

bk-051.jpg

...merchandise and other fun stuff up next...

The initial mark looks great now. Perfect tone and really comes across as LV. I LOVE that flag logo, though the lettering may be a bit too subtle to really read as a B and K unless you know you're looking for it.

I think the new War Horse is a downgrade, though. The LV feels out of place and it distracts the eye. I also think the little lick of hair at the front takes away from the powerful feeling the logo has otherwise. I like the crown/turret thing at the bottom, though. I also still think the "Las" should probably be moved a little bit closer to the "Vegas"... right now it seems like it's dangling off to the side.

I like the uniform set. The red and gold is my fave, it looks very regal, and I like the socks.

I think the new War Horse is a downgrade, though. The LV feels out of place and it distracts the eye. I also think the little lick of hair at the front takes away from the powerful feeling the logo has otherwise. I like the crown/turret thing at the bottom, though.

Thanks s. Fixed it...

bk-055.jpg

A part of me thinks that the horse head logo is the stronger of the two, but the simpler Vegas Star probably works better as a primary crest.

The latest rendering of the horse is your best yet. Love the hidden LV as opposed to what you had before. The only thing throwing me off is that the grey appears to be slightly slightly darker than the other one you've used. Other than that, this looks great :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The horse looks a lot better now.

I don't know, I'm not feeling the monogram. Not sure if it is the execution or just the fact that it feels a little forced.

spacer.png

I don't know, I'm not feeling the monogram. Not sure if it is the execution or just the fact that it feels a little forced.

You're right.

It IS a little forced, Crabcake. The "L" and "V" combo was a little tough to put together.

It will work primarily as a supplemental logo for product purposes, and usually together with another logo and/or word-mark,

like on these shirts...

bk-056.jpg

Archived