Negro Leaguers

Bell-Gibson-Leonard-Paige

Pioneers

Alexander-Anson-Keeler-Sisler

Greatest Living Players

Aaron-Koufax-Mays-Rose(write in)

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I like how MLB is calling this "Franchise Four" as if it's their new idea instead of what it is - the hacky #embracedebate "First Take" Mt Rushmore argument.

Reds: Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Frank Robinson

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's my franchise four so far.

• Rays: Evan Longoria, Carl Crawford, Scott Kazmir, Wade Boggs
  • Reds: Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez (Pete Rose would be in the franchise four if he didn't get banned from baseball).
  • Rockies: Larry Walker, Todd Helton, Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez
  • Diamondbacks: Luis Gonzalez, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Brandon Webb
  • Dodgers: Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Duke Snider, Don Drysdale
  • Braves: Greg Maddux, Chipper Jones, Henry "Hank" Aaron, Warren Spahn
  • Cardinals: Albert Pujols, Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Ozzie Smith
  • Cubs: Ernie Banks (RIP), Ron Santo, Ryne Sandberg, Sammy Sosa
  • Mariners: Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro, Felix Hernandez, Edgar Martinez

Bwahahaha. As I read this, I was wondering to myself, "Who DID I pick as the fourth Ray?" Then I realized that I had gotten through three and moved on to other teams as I thought about it, leaving it blank. Kazmir is a good choice. I'm an outsider looking in, and the first name that came to mind was David Price. I'll never forget Max Kellerman making the point that having a third star pitcher can make a basement team into a playoff team (going on the simple mathematics that having a higher chance of winning with 3 out of your 5 pitchers makes you more likely to win more than you lose) when discussing the Rays turnaround in 2008, and Price was that pitcher that got them over the hump. I never did understand why they kicked him to the Tigers.

For the Pittsburgh Pirates three of the four would be without dispute: Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell. The fourth, however, you could have endless debate about.

The Pirates version of Barry Bonds deserves to be on the top 4 of that franchise.

Again, from an outsider looking in perspective, I was considering suggesting that when it was discussed earlier in the thread, but decided instead to duck down and keep quiet rather than open a can of worms. XD

Seattle Mariners is actually tougher than I thought.

Ken Griffey, Jr

Edgar Martínez

Randy Johnson

Ichiro Suzuki

Felix Hernandez

Jay Buhner

I dunno who to take out.

Martinez and Hernandez.

Glad I could be of help. :)

Griffey, Ichiro, Martinez and Randy. Easy as pie.

I agree with the bottom list, although it IS tough to leave King Felix out. He may surpass Randy Johnson when his career is done.

Should have gone with three or five just because the Mount Rushmore thing was ESPN'd to death. Or even 9, but that might be a struggle for some.

That does sound like fun. I remember this being done a few years ago, although I forget what year it was. Every team was given a choice of five people and one was chosen as the face of the franchise. Again, not much surprise for a Yankees fan, although I could see some teams having a harder time.

If Jeter &/or Rivera win a spot, I might quit baseball for a few days.

One of the things that pushed me to go ahead and make a thread was seeing them discuss the topic on Baseball Tonight. DiMaggio and Mantle were not chosen, although it was two people going back and fourth choosing the four together, so it wasn't like one guy's opinion. Mariano WAS chosen, and I honestly can understand the decision, although I don't put him above 5 and 7. I forget the other. Might have been Yogi (who is a hard #5).

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the Pittsburgh Pirates three of the four would be without dispute: Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell. The fourth, however, you could have endless debate about.

The Pirates version of Barry Bonds deserves to be on the top 4 of that franchise.

Barroid Bonds couldn't walk down the streets of Pittsburgh today without carrying a gun or being surrounded by guards for protection. Pittsburghers, generally speaking, can't stand him. That's not a guy they'd want on their "franchise four." I could list a dozen Pirates off the top of my head - Al Oliver, Manny Sanguillen, Jason Kendall, McCutcheon, Dave Parker, Mike Easler, Doug Drabek, Rick Rhoden, Neil Walker, Bill Robinson, Tim Foli, Phil Garner, Bill Madlock... hell Jason Thompson - that Pittsburghers would likely rather see on that list.

nav-logo.png

Phillies: Grover Cleveland Alexander, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Cole Hamels

Not sure how Cole Hamels even gets mentioned in teh same breath as those other guys. I mean he's good, but an all-timer?

It'd be:

Chuck Klein

Richie Ashburn

Schmidt

Carlton

There's probably at least half a dozen players that would go on the list before Hamels would even come in to the discussion. Not that I don't think he's really good, but he's not part of this discussion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like how MLB is calling this "Franchise Four" as if it's their new idea instead of what it is - the hacky #embracedebate "First Take" Mt Rushmore argument.

This stuff is ultimately meaningless but can be kinda fun and that's fine by me.

But for some reason this overuse "the Mount Rushmore of..." kinda wears on me. And "Franchise Four" is clearly derivative of that. How about "Franchise Five?" Seriously; it's a rounder number and the alliteration is still intact.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For the Nats (in the last 10 years) my picks are:

Ryan Zimmerman (Mr. Nationals)

Jordan Zimmermann (first no-hitter in Nats history)

Stephen Strasburg (best debut)

Bryce Harper (has been sort of a face of the franchise for them in recent years)

Honorable Mentions:

Ian Desmond

Jayson Werth

Jose Vidro

Livan Hernandez

AL West

Astros - Bagwell-Berkman-Biggio-Ryan

Angels - Finley-Guerrero-Ryan-Trout

Athletics - Eckersley-Foxx-Henderson-Jackson

Mariners - Griffey Jr.-Hernandez-Ichiro-Martinez

Rangers - Gonzalez-I.Rodriguez-Ryan-Young

NL East