FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha!

Seriously, though, for the signature event, we ought to be talking about a marquee destination. NYC, LA, SF, even DC if they get their NFL stadium in the District. Chicago's definitely on the list, although I take your point about Soldier Field.

There are zero Women's World Cup games at 'Canada's National Soccer Stadium' (as alluded to in another thread) BMO Field in Toronto.

Toronto based sports reporter Cathal Kelly wrote a semi-serious piece about that & got annihilated for it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Ha!

Seriously, though, for the signature event, we ought to be talking about a marquee destination. NYC, LA, SF, even DC if they get their NFL stadium in the District. Chicago's definitely on the list, although I take your point about Soldier Field.

The World Cup is certainly a marquee event, but Houston, the 4th largest city in the U.S., didn't get a game back in 1994. The Astrodome was probably bent on them playing on turf, but it shows venues set the precedent. On the topic of turf, if FIFA wants to have all of its games on real grass, Soldier Field definitely gets the nod over Indianapolis, unless they put down real grass in Lucas Oil. Chicago will get group stage and early knockout games, but later games could be a stretch.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Houston is big but not a marquee city. It's sticky and vacuous and probably smells. Still, gotta put games somewhere.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's how I'd lay out the stadiums. Since the US is so huge, I thought it would be a good idea break up the stadiums into regions in order to cut down on travel. Each team will play a match at each stadium in their respective region in the Group Stage.

West Region (Groups A & B):

Seattle

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Central Region (Groups C & D):

Chicago

Denver

Dallas

Northeast Region (Groups E & F)

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

South Region (Groups G & H)

Atlanta

Orlando

Miami

Round of 16: All stadiums except for San Francisco, Denver, Philadelphia, and Orlando will host a match.

Quarter-finals: Seattle, Chicago, Washington, and Atlanta

Semi-finals: Los Angeles, Miami

3rd Place: Dallas

Finals: New York

I'm being sullen, but nothing of consequence should ever be at Lego Stadium. It's a testament to cynacism, greed, and valuing wealth creation of the ultra rich above all. Yes, I know that makes it perfect for FIFA, but this is the stand I'm taking.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm being sullen, but nothing of consequence should ever be at Lego Stadium. It's a testament to cynacism, greed, and valuing wealth creation of the ultra rich above all. Yes, I know that makes it perfect for FIFA, but this is the stand I'm taking.

From a guy who roots for a team owned by Paul Allen.

Allen at least invests in his team. But you're right on one point -- rooting for billionaire playthings does feel kind of crappy. Best not to think about it.

I bought a Galaxy S6 a few weeks ago and I'm still adjusting to its autocorrect. Lego Stadium? Cynacism? I look like a damn fool.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

K. Lego Stadium it is.

I've never seen that view before. Gosh I hate that field. It's like the worst parts of stadium construction all in one -- middle of nowhere, sponsorship all over, suites uber alles, and no interesting design characteristics.

It's so sad to see what's become of the 49ers. Even Yankee Stadium stayed in the Bronx, and they could have built anywhere.

To keep this on topic, Yankee Stadium would not be an appropriate WC venue.

Ha!

There are zero Women's World Cup games at 'Canada's National Soccer Stadium' (as alluded to in another thread) BMO Field in Toronto.

Toronto based sports reporter Cathal Kelly wrote a semi-serious piece about that & got annihilated for it.

Isn't Toronto hosting the Pan-Am Games? I thought that was the reason the WC isn't playing games there.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Ha!

Isn't Toronto hosting the Pan-Am Games? I thought that was the reason the WC isn't playing games there.

The games are July 10-26. They easily could have had Toronto host the bigger names in the group stages. Wasn't BMO switched back over to turf?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ha!

That's the excuse they're using. Even though the group stage is long over by the time the Pan Am games start. Some people think the other excuse is that the grass at BMO Field disqualified it. But that doesn't explain why they couldn't fit them in at the Skydome when they bid and have the Jays work around them. Just seems really odd to have the country's largest city disqualified from hosting matches.

I thought "Lego Stadium" was a clever commentary on the architecture.

levis-stadium-24.jpg

I'd run with it.

Has to be the most underwhelming NFL stadium, if not US stadium, opened in the 21st century. No character, the Tower of Power for the yuppies, terrible location with no real mass transit access and terrible vehicle access, and they've had no end of field problems meaning the basic thing it's built for (sports on grass) wasn't even done properly.

Atlanta and Orlando in July? Why don't I just crawl up a fat guy's ass?

Atlanta would be in a dome-ish stadium. It's also possible you can set these stadiums up for the later games when humidity would have a chance to dissipate.

Here's how I'd lay out the stadiums. Since the US is so huge, I thought it would be a good idea break up the stadiums into regions in order to cut down on travel. Each team will play a match at each stadium in their respective region in the Group Stage.

Seattle

San Francisco

Phoenix

Chicago

Denver

Dallas

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

Atlanta

Orlando

Miami

Round of 16: All stadiums except for San Francisco, Denver, Philadelphia, and Orlando will host a match.

I'd eliminate the stadiums with the smallest seating the further along the tournament goes. I'd also sub out Phoenix for LA, especially if the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum are the options. Not sure if that's what you've done here. MetLife should host a semi-final and Miami takes the 3rd place game with Dallas as the final. The one advantage of Jerry World is you can shut the dome and turn on the AC, ideally anyways. FIFA would probably still require the roof to be open.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Atlanta would be in a dome-ish stadium. It's also possible you can set these stadiums up for the later games when humidity would have a chance to dissipate.

Seattle

San Francisco

Phoenix

Chicago

Denver

Dallas

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

Atlanta

Orlando

Miami

I'd eliminate the stadiums with the smallest seating the further along the tournament goes. I'd also sub out Phoenix for LA, especially if the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum are the options. Not sure if that's what you've done here. MetLife should host a semi-final and Miami takes the 3rd place game with Dallas as the final. The one advantage of Jerry World is you can shut the dome and turn on the AC, ideally anyways. FIFA would probably still require the roof to be open.

Yeah they're not going to cut out the second largest metro area to trade it for Phoenix.

Not any different from Miami, Dallas, or Houston...three cities you selected as sites.

Can't really avoid "hot" in the US during the summer. All cities get pretty warm. You can play games either in the evening or day games in domed buildings.

Not any different from Miami, Dallas, or Houston...three cities you selected as sites.

Can't really avoid "hot" in the US during the summer. All cities get pretty warm. You can play games either in the evening or day games in domed buildings.

Well outside Phoenix hot is relative. It's regular hot (ie: 80's-90's during the day), not 125 degrees hot.

Archived