NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Purchased the Nordiques jersey yeserday, lets get this support rain roling like we had in Winnipeg. We'll then get Florida into Hartford, and our work is done.

Maybe try for the Expos back in Montreal while we're at it? Kill two birds with one stone!

Surprisingly, my research on the Panthers shows their ownership to be content with targeting Northern Snowbirds to see their team on the road. Also, they control the BankAtlantic Center which itself is profitable.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Maybe whichever derivatives traders own the Panthers this month will realize what Atlanta Spirit realized, which is that it's smarter to cashier the hockey team and fill the dates with cheaper and more lucrative events. Or, seeing as the owners allege that owning the Florida Panthers is not a losing proposition, they are frauds and will go to jail for something else they lied about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Purchased the Nordiques jersey yeserday, lets get this support rain roling like we had in Winnipeg. We'll then get Florida into Hartford, and our work is done.

Maybe try for the Expos back in Montreal while we're at it? Kill two birds with one stone!

Get the Grizzlies back in Vancouver, grand slam! :P

untitled-6.jpg

Get the Grizzlies back in Vancouver, grand slam! :P

Love to see more NBA in Canada, hopefully it will happen soon.

Yes and still the Canadiens remain the only top 4 major sports league team in the province of Quebec. Even Alberta has more and that is half the size of Quebec (in terms of population).

Montreal has to be on the watch list for the NBA, especially with the Kings looking for a new home and the Hornets in a similar situation to the Phoenix Coyotes.

Anyway we could speculate about this forever. So I move onto the NHL.

Just found this: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378843

I'm just being speculative but I found this in a comment

Tom Gaglardi talked to Hamilton city council 2 years ago about buying & moving the Atlanta Thrashers to Hamilton so it won't surprise me if has the same plans for the stars & is just keeping his mouth shut about moving the team to Hamilton until the deal to buy the stars is done.

Maybe its me getting ahead of myself...

And the money to renovate Hamilton's Arena and pay off Buffalo and Toronto is coming from where precisely?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gagliardi's getting 50% of a very busy arena and I think he's just assuming debt while not really paying much else. That's a pretty sweet real estate deal, whereas Atlanta was only ever about unloading the Thrashers. Reminds me of when Jeff Vinik bought the master lease and some adjacent vacant land for $90 million, and they threw in a hockey team for free.

Buffalo has as much to do with blocking Hamilton as I do. It's all Millsy there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My question for teams like the Stars and Blues is this...In both cases the arena/arena lease goes with the purchase. Would moving the Stars and then keeping half of the AAC work out financially? Or would he just sell it to Cuban?

Regardless, I'm pulling for the Stars to stay. Because if it happens to them, it could happen to the Blues.

I love that all my pro teams not in the World Series today have constant talk about relocation. It's unlikely but frustrating to think about.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Last night when the Phoenix Coyotes hosted the Los Angeles Kings, the attendance was 7,128. That's probably been inflated by the league though. I thought the Coyotes said they had record number of ST holders this year?

Last season, the Coyotes had a Thursday home game against the Kings in October and drew something like 6,400. Movin' on up!

One of the biggest sport leagues in the world and one of it's teams is drawing less than 8,000.... Even some CJHL teams get more than 6,400.

Ten years ago, we were watching to see when the Vermont Expos would draw more than the Montreal parent club.

Now, I guess we'll wait to see if the Portland Pirates can outdraw the Coyotes on any given night.

I can testify that the Cumberland County Civic Center (where the Pirates play) has 6,733 seats, and most are filled every game night, with sellout crowds on the weekends.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me that the Pirates are outdrawing the Coyotes. While Portland isn't the prime hockey area in Maine (Orono, where the University of Maine Black Bears play is where it's at for hardcore puck fans), the Pirates (and the other minor league teams in the city) have a considerable following throughout the state.

Onto what everyone else has been talking about since I was gone...

I'd love to see the Expos back (build Parc Labatt, move the Rays to Montreal and you don't even have to realign the divisions!), but I doubt it. Selig would be unwilling to admit that he made a mistake by placing a team in the Tampa Bay area and then murdering the burgeoning baseball fanbase in Montreal.

I don't think that we'll be seeing a return of the Whalers any time soon, especially with Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs heading up the NHL board of governors. He wouldn't like a team "intruding", so to speak, in New England.

Of all the NHL teams under threat of relocation, I'd hate to see the Stars (espec. because they have their name on the cup), Blue Jackets, or Predators move. I feel they could really carve out their own piece of the market in their respective towns and become viable.

spacer.png

My question for teams like the Stars and Blues is this...In both cases the arena/arena lease goes with the purchase. Would moving the Stars and then keeping half of the AAC work out financially? Or would he just sell it to Cuban?

Regardless, I'm pulling for the Stars to stay. Because if it happens to them, it could happen to the Blues.

I love that all my pro teams not in the World Series today have constant talk about relocation. It's unlikely but frustrating to think about.

Depends what he wants to use the arena for if the Stars leave. No doubt the Stars will stay in Dallas, and anyway I was just speculating the possibility. In the most extreme case in the event of the Stars leaving, I don't think the Blues would go. Lets say it came to this: Coyotes move to QC and the Stars move to Hamilton, this then leaves no out right place for a team, be it in the US or Canada. One thing that benefits the St. Louis Blues is the fan base, which I hope can help trigger a sale and keep the Blues in Missouri.

After Quebec City and Hamilton, is their really a market in North America screaming for an NHL team with a suitable arena and a viable owner?

I'd love to see the Expos back (build Parc Labatt, move the Rays to Montreal and you don't even have to realign the divisions!), but I doubt it. Selig would be unwilling to admit that he made a mistake by placing a team in the Tampa Bay area and then murdering the burgeoning baseball fanbase in Montreal.

Selig is no Bettman. He didn't kill off the Montreal fanbase, Montreal did. Bud would make the move you describe if it made any financial sense.

Fund a stadium, and the Rays will start learning French. Until then, they'll remain the closest thing baseball has to the Coyotes.

Selig is no Bettman. He didn't kill off the Montreal fanbase, Montreal did. Bud would make the move you describe if it made any financial sense.

Fund a stadium, and the Rays will start learning French. Until then, they'll remain the closest thing baseball has to the Coyotes.

Oh please, the moment that the MLB took over for Loria, the franchise stopped being the Montreal Expos and started being The Future Washington Baseball Club. The team didn't play their stars (Guerrero, Vasquez), blacked out games, didn't spend $50,000 to call up minor leaguers during the expanded roster period in 2003 (the final nail in the coffin). Selig had ample opportunity to try to sow the market in Montreal. Instead, he closed up shop and began making arrangements for Washington.

I doubt we'll see a lot of money coming from Quebec. They've been very stingy with funding for an NHL arena (which is probably why the Coyotes aren't already in Quebec City), and it'll be several years before the province will even think about funding Parc Labatt.

Through it all, I honestly think that if you give Montreal a really good team (the Rays) and a sexy stadium, the fans will come.

spacer.png

Yes, when MLB took over the die was cast.

But the Expos had been on life support for five years at that point. MLB had to step in, because the Expos were the walking dead.

Again, Montreal knew the score. Build a new stadium or lose the team to a city that will. Been that way for half a century. They couldn't get it done, so if we are to assign "fault" then the city fathers get far and away the lion's share.