NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Looking at the Blue Jackets schedule and with all their injuries, they could easily start 0-10-1, and if that's true things are going to get ugly.

There was so much hype about this team in the offseason that the backlash from losing will be felt even worse. People are straight up sick of it and you can't blame them. I'm sick of it. This was the absolute worst time to have the worst start in franchise history. A 14-6 first quarter like the last two seasons would've been ideal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know that a bad start can kill a team, but I fear that in Columbus, that could be literal this time around.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Cannot criticize the fans in Columbus at all, they've been really bad for the whole of the existence (no offence), and there stuck in a College sport hotbed.

What really could have appealed to the NHL about Columbus back in 2000, that made them say 'hey it really could work here'.

Cannot criticize the fans in Columbus at all, they've been really bad for the whole of the existence (no offence), and there stuck in a College sport hotbed.

What really could have appealed to the NHL about Columbus back in 2000, that made them say 'hey it really could work here'.

See I take offenSe to that because you're wrong. Pre-lockout the fans were there for some really bad teams and after the lockout we still had decent crowds for some really bad teams. We've sold out entire seasons before, we've been in the top 10 before. We also sold out major hockey events like the frozen four and the 2007 draft. We haven't been "really bad for the whole of the existence". We've been understandably unsupportive of a really bad team, which is not fair to put on the fans who literally don't know what a playoff win is like.

If, like Phoenix, the team gets good and people still don't show up, then you're right, but that won't happen.

To answer your second question, it was a large untapped market underserved by NHL hockey or major professional sports within a short drive from two large markets also underserved by NHL hockey. And again, for the first 5, 6, 7 years it did really work here before people became tired of just being in the NHL and began to demand a winning team.

Have Cincinnati and Cleveland delivered? Not really, but Columbus wasn't serving Cleveland in the 90's when the Cavs sucked. When the Cavs became good, people from Columbus started making the trip north to see Cavs games. Was Columbus serving Cincinnati when the Bengals sucked? No, but in 2005 when the Bengals became good people from Columbus started making the trip south to go to Bengals games. It's the same thing, but in reverse order. If the Blue Jackets become relevant people in those markets will start to support them.

We haven't failed as fans, the team's many missteps in hockey operations have failed the fans. As I've said countless times before, give the CBJ track record to any city and there's probably 3 markets in the NHL who wouldn't experience some kind of attendance problems. It's not fair yet to call us a bad market based on what we've been given to support. If San Jose had been forced to deal with this same history, they might not have Sharks right now.

thank you.

PvO6ZWJ.png

See I take offenSe to that because you're wrong. Pre-lockout the fans were there for some really bad teams and after the lockout we still had decent crowds for some really bad teams. We've sold out entire seasons before, we've been in the top 10 before. We also sold out major hockey events like the frozen four and the 2007 draft. We haven't been "really bad for the whole of the existence". We've been understandably unsupportive of a really bad team, which is not fair to put on the fans who literally don't know what a playoff win is like.

If, like Phoenix, the team gets good and people still don't show up, then you're right, but that won't happen.

To answer your second question, it was a large untapped market underserved by NHL hockey or major professional sports within a short drive from two large markets also underserved by NHL hockey. And again, for the first 5, 6, 7 years it did really work here before people became tired of just being in the NHL and began to demand a winning team.

Have Cincinnati and Cleveland delivered? Not really, but Columbus wasn't serving Cleveland in the 90's when the Cavs sucked. When the Cavs became good, people from Columbus started making the trip north to see Cavs games. Was Columbus serving Cincinnati when the Bengals sucked? No, but in 2005 when the Bengals became good people from Columbus started making the trip south to go to Bengals games. It's the same thing, but in reverse order. If the Blue Jackets become relevant people in those markets will start to support them.

We haven't failed as fans, the team's many missteps in hockey operations have failed the fans. As I've said countless times before, give the CBJ track record to any city and there's probably 3 markets in the NHL who wouldn't experience some kind of attendance problems. It's not fair yet to call us a bad market based on what we've been given to support. If San Jose had been forced to deal with this same history, they might not have Sharks right now.

thank you.

Yeah I didn't mean the fans are bad, I am sympathising with you, in the sense that why would you want to see a losing team. Not being from Ohio I don't understand, so I apologise. Is hockey really that popular in Ohio, that if you had a consecutively good team like the Sharks, you would be filling out your arena?

Another question is how many of the 9,000 or so you get a night are corporate tickets?

See I take offenSe to that because you're wrong.

"Offence" is an accepted spelling in Commonwealth English.

thank you.

Yeah I didn't mean the fans are bad, I am sympathising with you, in the sense that why would you want to see a losing team. Not being from Ohio I don't understand, so I apologise. Is hockey really that popular in Ohio, that if you had a consecutively good team like the Sharks, you would be filling out your arena?

Another question is how many of the 9,000 or so you get a night are corporate tickets?

My mistake, I misread your first sentence and shot off. You mean the team has been bad. So we're saying the same thing.

To answer your first question, hockey is more popular in Ohio than it is in Tennessee or North Carolina and the Predators and Hurricanes seem to do pretty well with a consistently decent team. So yes, I firmly believe if they iced a competitive team year in and year out, we would be filling the arena.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure. I do know that the Blue Jackets report the exact attendance that's in the building. They're one of the few struggling teams who don't exaggerate their attendance numbers ala Phoenix. Though, maybe they should start doing that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I do know that the Blue Jackets report the exact attendance that's in the building. They're one of the few struggling teams who don't exaggerate their attendance numbers ala Phoenix.

Are you sure? That's usually a league decision. At least it was with MLB and the NFL.

Translated from the website in French...

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Quebec/2011/10/18/011-etude-besoin-amphitheatre-devoilement-mercredi.shtml

It is the consortium of SNC-Lavalin, ABCP and Populous who gets the contract for architect and engineering for the proposed amphitheater in Quebec. He will be responsible for the design plans and specifications and will be posted to the delivery of multifunctional complex in 2015.

This is the third contract awarded to the firm since the beginning of the proposed amphitheater.

Vice President of the Executive Committee of the City of Quebec, François Picard, denied Wednesday afternoon the allegations of favoritism in the case of the amphitheater.

The two firms had two excellent finalists records, he said, but the consortium of SNC-Lavalin, ABCP and Populous had a better price than its competitor.

Compared to its closest rival, the estimated costs of the consortium was lower at a rate of 17%.

The contract won by the consortium $ 18 million.

For its part, the firm Genivar has awarded a contract by $ 6 million for assistance to management and project management.

It looks like the return of the Nordiques is slowly coming into place.

baltimoreravens.png

Translated from the website in French...

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Quebec/2011/10/18/011-etude-besoin-amphitheatre-devoilement-mercredi.shtml

It is the consortium of SNC-Lavalin, ABCP and Populous who gets the contract for architect and engineering for the proposed amphitheater in Quebec. He will be responsible for the design plans and specifications and will be posted to the delivery of multifunctional complex in 2015.

This is the third contract awarded to the firm since the beginning of the proposed amphitheater.

Vice President of the Executive Committee of the City of Quebec, François Picard, denied Wednesday afternoon the allegations of favoritism in the case of the amphitheater.

The two firms had two excellent finalists records, he said, but the consortium of SNC-Lavalin, ABCP and Populous had a better price than its competitor.

Compared to its closest rival, the estimated costs of the consortium was lower at a rate of 17%.

The contract won by the consortium $ 18 million.

For its part, the firm Genivar has awarded a contract by $ 6 million for assistance to management and project management.

It looks like the return of the Nordiques is slowly coming into place.

No Olympic size rink eh? Well QC have just kinda made it clear that this isn't being built for a future Winter Olympic bid, but could be changed if that did happen. They're kinda saying well here's the arena plan Mr. Bettman, can we now have our hockey team back?

The big question is though, will a team come to QC before 2015 and play at Colisee Pepsi, or will they have to wait until the new arena is built?

They brought back the Jets.... Now lets hope they bring back the Nordiques!

Is this new? I thought the Stars were one of the sunbelt success stories.

Or is it just a "we only support winners" thing?

They were. Up until their recent string of bad ownership decisions, bad seasons, and this season with payroll.

Hell, they made a trade for a suspended player last week just so they could be at the salary cap floor.

The Stars had been relative "winners" on the ice for the majority of their existence in Dallas. These recent down years have unfortunately coincided with the Rangers' and Mavericks' rise along with new Cowboys Stadium. And of course, Tom Hicks. The past few years have been a confluence of bad for the Stars.

The ownership situation will be sorted out by Thanksgiving. The next homestand starts on the 27th, well past the end of the World Series. Attendance should perk up then. Also, if this chart is accurate, the Stars are still easily the best revenue-earning team of all the 90s expansion/relocation teams despite their troubles.

operatinginc.png

Is this new? I thought the Stars were one of the sunbelt success stories.

Or is it just a "we only support winners" thing?

To be fair, even in a hockey hotbed like Vancouver, mediocre to awful teams like in the Keenan era in the late 90s had GM Place half full.

The big question is though, will a team come to QC before 2015 and play at Colisee Pepsi, or will they have to wait until the new arena is built?

Can't say whether a team will play at the Colisee, but the mayor has said that the city can kick in a couple million to fix up the ice plant/AC and replace the boards to tide a team over till the Amphitheatre is complete. Would it be ideal to play out of the Colisee for two-and-a-half to three seasons? No, not really. However, 2012 might be Quebec City's best--or only--chance to strike: the Blue Jackets are staring down the prospect of demanding a taxpayer bailout in the shadow of a teabagger governor, and enough has been said about the myriad problems facing a Coyotes transaction.

EDIT: Ugh, The Red Wings' attendance figures in the early '80s have no bearing on anything happening in 2011-12. The Coyotes' attendance figures in 2011-12 do. Additionally, don't mistake civic institutions such as the Red Wings and Blackhawks for real estate schemes like the Coyotes and Panthers. God, do we still have to be this remedial?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

EDIT: Ugh, The Red Wings' attendance figures in the early '80s have no bearing on anything happening in 2011-12. The Coyotes' attendance figures in 2011-12 do. Additionally, don't mistake civic institutions such as the Red Wings and Blackhawks for real estate schemes like the Coyotes and Panthers. God, do we still have to be this remedial?

It's the internet. Yes we do.

Unrelated to the Blue Jackets issue, but the Coyotes just signed a new AHL affiliation for five years.

In Portland, Maine.

In case you're not putting two and two together, Maine is a lot closer to Quebec than Arizona.

Perhaps I'm reading way to much into this, but back in the WHA days, the Nordiques had an affiliate in Maine (Lewiston, not Portland, but still).

Whatever, I'm probably just reading too much into this.

spacer.png

Unrelated to the Blue Jackets issue, but the Coyotes just signed a new AHL affiliation for five years.

In Portland, Maine.

In case you're not putting two and two together, Maine is a lot closer to Quebec than Arizona.

Perhaps I'm reading way to much into this, but back in the WHA days, the Nordiques had an affiliate in Maine (Lewiston, not Portland, but still).

Whatever, I'm probably just reading too much into this.

It's not just you, I thought the same thing but alot of the people in the HFboards are saying the same thing. I think the signs are there, its just a matter of when or if.

baltimoreravens.png