Sports Objects in Sports Team Logos

kineaggie05

I was having a sort of random thought but, do any teams in the four major leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, & NHL) have balls (or pucks), bats, or sticks in their logos besides the St. Louis Cardinals? I couldn't think of any others. Which I thought was interesting for a number of reasons. From a marketing standpoint, logos without sport specific markings can appeal to a wider target market becaue non-sports enthusists may be more inclined to purchase them. Also, for fans, having an identifying sport mark may be too loud and come of as insulting. For these reasons, among others, I feel logos with sport specific markings usually look less professional, but not bad, just less professional. Any thoughts on any of the above?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, well there goes that theory :D . I didn't do a whole lot of thinking (shows what that gets me) before writing, obviously... oh well. I guess, to me at least, those you all mentioned are more integrated into the whole logo than some minor league logos.

Okay, well there goes that theory :D . I didn't do a whole lot of thinking (shows what that gets me) before writing, obviously... oh well. I guess, to me at least, those you all mentioned are more integrated into the whole logo than some minor league logos.

hey its was an ionteresting theory and there are plenty of logos that have nothing to do with the sport they play!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You make a good point... top level teams generally do not use sports equipment as much in their logos. I've always attributed that to the fact that most people will know already what sport they play, although it could also be an element of class and design skill involved... cartoony animals playing the team's sport is seen as minor league.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Yeah, I agree.

I have always been annoyed at folks randomly throwing in the sports equipment into a logo. I think a logo CAN include, but isnt required to include a link to the sport.

The NBA is horrible about this. There are only a few that dont have a basketball in their logo.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

marlins-ball

phillies-infield

expos-ball

mets-ball

brewers-ball

pirates-bat

cardinals-bat

rockies-ball

dodgers-ball

padres-base

giants-ball

orioles-infield

redsox-ball

yankees-bat and ball

royals-ball

twins-ball

angels-infield

mariners-ball

rangers-ball

1997 | 2003

Pro football

NFL

Dolphins-Helmet and ball

Jets-Ball

Browns (Alt)-in Football shape

Raiders-Helmet

Tampa-Football between swords

Only 1 in NFC, and 4 in AFC, very rare in the NFL.

CFL

Alouettes-Football

Blue Bombers-Football

Renegades-Football

Roughriders-Hashmarks inside green?

Archived