Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

Elvin Hayes had a four season strech where he played for four cities but only two franchises,  the San Diego Rockets, then the next year they move to Houston, for the next year he gets traded to the Baltimore Bullets and the next year they move to Washington DC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrutigerAero said:

Very roughly speaking, when the National Basketball Association was created the National League was as old as the NBA is now.

I'm still anazed by the realisation that the Mets are now older than the Yankees were when the Mets began.  The Mets are in their 63rd season; the Mets' first season of 1962 was the Yankees' 60th season.  (It works even if you count the two years in Baltimore as part of the Yankees' franchise.)

This feels bizarre because, when I was a kid in the early/mid 1970s — and when I was a Yankee fan — Met fans used to razz us by asking "Who's won more pennants and World Series in the past five years?" And our retort was "You have no history." This whole passage of time thing is a mf-er.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm still anazed by the realisation that the Mets are now older than the Yankees were when the Mets began.  The Mets are in their 63rd season; the Mets' first season of 1962 was the Yankees' 60th season.  (It works even if you count the two years in Baltimore as part of the Yankees' franchise.)

This feels bizarre because, when I was a kid in the early/mid 1970s — and when I was a Yankee fan — Met fans used to razz us by asking "Who's won more pennants and World Series in the past five years?" And our retort was "You have no history." This whole passage of time thing is a mf-er.

And as of this season, the Marlins and Rockies are just as old today as the Mets (and Astros) when those 2 started playing ball.

Mets and Astros 32nd seasons were 1993

Marlins and Rockies 32nd seasons are 2024

• Like 1
  • WOAH 3

If you didn't so much as touch a basketball on Tuesday, you attempted and made as many free throws as the Celtics 😄

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

43 minutes ago, Discrim said:

If you didn't so much as touch a basketball on Tuesday, you attempted and made as many free throws as the Celtics 😄

And only two fewer than the Bucks, their opponent in that game!

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, DCarp1231 said:

LOL Brady Anderson / Rafael Palmeiro.  There was a lot of juice in that lineup.

I'd love some stat guru to find if there's ever been a one-year-wonder season like Anderson had, which was just coincidentally during the juice era.  I forget exactly what a standard deviation is, but that season had to be multiple SDs from his norm.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'd love some stat guru to find if there's ever been a one-year-wonder season like Anderson had, which was just coincidentally during the juice era.  I forget exactly what a standard deviation is, but that season had to be multiple SDs from his norm.

Just a little...

Most HRs Brady Anderson hit in a season from 1988 to 1995: 21 in 1992

Brady Anderson HRs in 1996: 50

Most HRs Brady Anderson hit in a season from 1997 to 2002: 24 in 1999.

It sure looks like he decided to try steroids for one season, didn't like the side effects or something, and went back to normal.

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

didn't like the side effects or something,

280035484fe63567ee918bf72572a80a.jpg

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/19/2024 at 9:33 PM, BBTV said:

ironically, the guy who managed him that year, Davey Johnson had an improbable 43 home run season in 1973, the most he hit any other year was 18. Also in 1996 quite a few other guys had a one year home run surge that stood out, Barry Larkin, Kevin Elster, Geronimo Berroa, Benito Santiago(a few years pre Balco)

6 hours ago, chrispw12 said:

ironically, the guy who managed him that year, Davey Johnson had an improbable 43 home run season in 1973, the most he hit any other year was 18. Also in 1996 quite a few other guys had a one year home run surge that stood out, Barry Larkin, Kevin Elster, Geronimo Berroa, Benito Santiago(a few years pre Balco)

Barry Larkin was an outstanding player, but if he's a HOFer (which I believe he should be), then Jimmy Rollins should easily be in.