Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

I wonder what the history is of having siblings, while in different sports, both be in one of the major sports leagues. I say this because I just found out that Jaxon Smith-Njigba of the Seahawks has a brother, Canaan, who is a member of the Pirates.

rAUPGPZ.png

2 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

I wonder what the history is of having siblings, while in different sports, both be in one of the major sports leagues. I say this because I just found out that Jaxon Smith-Njigba of the Seahawks has a brother, Canaan, who is a member of the Pirates.

Trayce Thompson (MLB) is the brother of Klay Thompson (NBA). It's not super common, but not unheard of.

• Like 3

4 NFL teams have scored exactly 63 points.

- Chicago Cardinals beat New York Giants 63-35 in 1948

-  49ers beat Brooklyn Dodgers 63-40 in 1948

- Steelers beat New York Giants 63-7 in 1952

- Raiders beat Chargers 63-21 in 2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/18iria7/the_raiders_are_the_sixth_team_in_nfl_history_to/

Raiders are the 6th team in NFL history to score 0 points and then score 50+ points.

• 2 weeks later...

That's one of those "statistical anomalies" more than anything.  It's incredibly hard to even believe, but doesn't mean anything other than he and the Ravens are usually pretty good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Already mentioned by @Dilbert on the 2023 NFL thread but the Bills, Browns and Lions are in the playoffs for the 1st time after Bills clinched the playoffs due to the Jaguars defeat.

Jets beat the Patriots for the 1st time since 2015, and in Gillette for the 1st time since 2010 AFC Divisional round (and in the regular season since 2008).

The Packers and Bears went about three and a half quarters before either team had a penalty called on them tonight.  Though it's not uncommon for one team to go through a game penalty free, only four times in NFL history have the refs kept the flags in their pockets all game.  Shockingly, all four happened in two year intervals from 1934 to 1940, and then never again.  Two of these games involved the Steelers, two involved the long defunct Brooklyn Dodgers, and two involved referee Bill Halloran, who in between penalty-free games infamously called a Washington field goal wide right in the last week of the 1939 season, a "miss" that sent the Giants to the Championship game and so infuriated the men in burgundy that one of them allegedly punched Halloran after the game ended.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

10 hours ago, Discrim said:

The Packers and Bears went about three and a half quarters before either team had a penalty called on them tonight.  Though it's not uncommon for one team to go through a game penalty free, only four times in NFL history have the refs kept the flags in their pockets all game.  Shockingly, all four happened in two year intervals from 1934 to 1940, and then never again.  Two of these games involved the Steelers, two involved the long defunct Brooklyn Dodgers, and two involved referee Bill Halloran, who in between penalty-free games infamously called a Washington field goal wide right in the last week of the 1939 season, a "miss" that sent the Giants to the Championship game and so infuriated the men in burgundy that one of them allegedly punched Halloran after the game ended.

They must have had 7PM dinner reservations last night.

It's where I sit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 12:59 PM, GrayJ12 said:

Mark McGwire's brother Dan had a brief career as quarterback with the Seahawks and was actually drafted ahead of Favre

• Like 1

He doesn't quite count because while the A-League was the top flight of US Soccer at the time, it was never at the level of even MLS, but Steve Nash's brother Martin had a lengthy and successful career at the A-League/USL level (along with the English First Division, now Championship).

On 11/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, GrayJ12 said:

Chandler jones in the NFL, and Jon Jones in UFC

• 1 month later...