Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

17 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

On Monday, Danny Jansen will become the first player in MLB history to play for both teams in the same game

And he was at bat when the game was suspended, so he'll be catching while someone else pinch-hits to finish his at bat. So he'll also be the first player to appear at the plate, and catch behind the plate during the same at bat. What a weird and fascinating bit of history we're witnessing.

• Like 3

spacer.png

That's going to be one F'd up box score.  I've always thought that suspended games were weird because of teams having different players at the time of resumption, but hadn't even considered this.

I kinda think there should be a rule about it - just like how if you're traded to your opposition in the middle of a "normal" game, you can't simply put on your new uniform and play for them in the middle of the game.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's going to be one F'd up box score.  I've always thought that suspended games were weird because of teams having different players at the time of resumption, but hadn't even considered this.

I kinda think there should be a rule about it - just like how if you're traded to your opposition in the middle of a "normal" game, you can't simply put on your new uniform and play for them in the middle of the game.

If there was a rule, I would say it state that you use the same roster as it was when the game was suspended (which I think is the rule for the most part). Any player that was on the active roster at the time of suspension of play, but is no longer (whether traded or on the IL/suspended) and was not removed from the original game, can only be replaced by anybody on the current 40-man roster who was on the 40-man roster at the time of the original game.

• Like 1

Amusingly enough, somehow, someway, this has happened in the NBA well before it ever happened in the majors, despite the practice of suspended games being far more common in the latter.  The Nets protested a ref hitting one of their players and their coach with three technicals each during a game against the Sixers, and the teams would replay most of that game's second half later that season.  In between, they traded a few players between each other, one of whom, Eric Money, had started for the Nets in the original game and would also score for the Sixers in the makeup game, making him the only player to score for both teams in the same NBA game.  Another player was the only man to get a DNP for both teams in the same game.

Edit: because I'm dumb, this happened in the 1978-79 season...the game started in November of that season and the makeup half was in March.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The US nominated six (6!) cities to host the 1956 Summer Olympics - Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. None of them received more than 5 votes.

The US has had some random cities/locations be in the running to host the Olympics - Yosemite (1932 winter), Colorado Springs (1956 winter), Cleveland (1916 and 1920 summer), Baltimore (1948 summer), and Duluth (1932 winter).

rAUPGPZ.png

On 9/3/2024 at 1:01 AM, Partycrasher said:

the Yankees have played more World Series games (225) than the Seattle Pilots played games in their entire history. including spring training.

And the original Milwaukee Brewers (who would eventually become the St. Louis Browns and then the Baltimore Orioles) if you don't count their pre 1901 Western League days

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

And the original Milwaukee Brewers (who would eventually become the St. Louis Browns and then the Baltimore Orioles) if you don't count their pre 1901 Western League days

potentially even more insane, if you wanna cross sports: the Yankees have played in more WS games than every regular season & postseason game the LA Raiders ever played in. a team that was there for thirteen seasons and made the playoffs in seven of those, including a SB win.

• Like 3

53Ocz8U.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, GrayJ12 said:

The US nominated six (6!) cities to host the 1956 Summer Olympics - Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. None of them received more than 5 votes.

The US has had some random cities/locations be in the running to host the Olympics - Yosemite (1932 winter), Colorado Springs (1956 winter), Cleveland (1916 and 1920 summer), Baltimore (1948 summer), and Duluth (1932 winter).

Before Salt Lake City the winter games were held at much smaller venues. Lillehammer was pretty much the last true small town Winter Games. 

Lake Placid and Squaw Valley both hosted games in California in the Sierras. Because back then the host was where the skiing usually took place. Now it's at a major city with huge infrastructure and the skiing events are held far away from the city. Such as Salt Lake and Park City,  while Vancouver and Whistler was 75mi apart. 

The Summer Games already spread things out. Paris just hosted surfboarding 9,765 miles away from Paris. 

It's making it much harder for fans who want to take in a lot of different events to go to the Olympics to do just that. Instead the focus becomes just one particular sport. For those that do want to attend. 

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Lake Placid and Squaw Valley both hosted games in California in the Sierras.

Um,  Lake Placid is miles away in upstate New York, not California.😉

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

The Summer Games already spread things out.  

Tell me about it.  Daughter # 1 and I went to France this year for the Olympics.  Came in and out of France via Paris (where we did a lot of sightseeing), but our ONE ticketed event was in Marseille to see USA women in soccer vs. Germany.   

Wasn't bad-- took the TGV down to  Marseille which was fast as hell and way cool.  While down on the Cote d'Azur we spent a lot of time in the Med, which is an UNBELIEVABLY beautiful cobalt blue:
phUgbrj.jpeg
ZnqTRrR.jpeg

Even got to see some bonus Olympic events-- while we were on a boat ride in Marseille we passed Olympic sailing events (skiff class; women in the morning, men in the afternoon).  And when we went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, we looked down and could see a Beach Volleyball match going on.
ZTDdWyi.jpeg

• Like 2

It is what it is.

13 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Um,  Lake Placid is miles away in upstate New York, not California.😉

Tell me about it.  Daughter # 1 and I went to France this year for the Olympics.  Came in and out of France via Paris (where we did a lot of sightseeing), but our ONE ticketed event was in Marseille to see USA women in soccer vs. Germany.   

Wasn't bad-- took the TGV down to  Marseille which was fast as hell and way cool.  While down on the Cote d'Azur we spent a lot of time in the Med, which is an UNBELIEVABLY beautiful cobalt blue:
phUgbrj.jpeg
ZnqTRrR.jpeg

Even got to see some bonus Olympic events-- while we were on a boat ride in Marseille we passed Olympic sailing events (skiff class; women in the morning, men in the afternoon).  And when we went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, we looked down and could see a Beach Volleyball match going on.
ZTDdWyi.jpeg

You know I put Squaw Valley by itself and then added Lake Placid and didn't think to change the states listed. 

As for your trip at least you had a reasonable ride to get to the event. And that water does look great.