MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

1 minute ago, mbannon92 said:

Per Chris' article on the main page, these are Spring Training specific jerseys, not BP jerseys. Teams will keep their BP jerseys for actual batting practice during the regular season.

I like that - it always bugged me that teams wore BP jerseys during Spring Training. And it was especially bad when one team would wear their placketless BP jersey and the other would wear their regular season uniform.

This helps explain why Majestic didn't clearance out the BP jerseys along with the old authentic Cool Base jerseys. In fact, they went up in price... 

Bet anything that most teams with new ST jerseys wear them during the regular season. Chris already confirmed the Phillies will wear their ST jerseys during the regular season and someone mentioned in an earlier post that the Rays were ditching their light blue alts for ones with the starburst logo (which is exactly what they got for ST). 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, White Sox. I don't care if you stick with the silver and black, or go back to the inferior '80s softball stuff. You've done a very good job of getting your fans not to care about anything, in fact. But, Christ in heaven, just PICK SOMETHING.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Forgive me, but I'm another longtime lurker making a first post. I've got a feeling that BP jerseys as we know them are going away. The Spring Training jerseys are called that instead of BPs, and I'm sure that's done with purpose. The Majestic Team catalog shows a two page spread with a closeup of what appears to be a CoolBase or FlexBase neckline with a zipper and a note to the effect of "We're changing the BP jersey, we'll let you know more later". And then the chap from the Astros made the remark about how most players wear fleece or pullovers during BP (which is true of most of the teams I've seen as well). If I had to guess, I'll say the new BP tops will be to the effect of the long sleeved version that was out a few years ago. Not an actual jersey, but another option along the lines of a type of fleece or a cage jacket.

5 minutes ago, DIYsportsguy said:

Forgive me, but I'm another longtime lurker making a first post. I've got a feeling that BP jerseys as we know them are going away. The Spring Training jerseys are called that instead of BPs, and I'm sure that's done with purpose. The Majestic Team catalog shows a two page spread with a closeup of what appears to be a CoolBase or FlexBase neckline with a zipper and a note to the effect of "We're changing the BP jersey, we'll let you know more later". And then the chap from the Astros made the remark about how most players wear fleece or pullovers during BP (which is true of most of the teams I've seen as well). If I had to guess, I'll say the new BP tops will be to the effect of the long sleeved version that was out a few years ago. Not an actual jersey, but another option along the lines of a type of fleece or a cage jacket.

BP jerseys are sticking around. Creamer mentioned that in the article announcing the ST jerseys. The new jerseys are separate and are made of the same material as the new on-field regular season jerseys. Teams will switch back to BP jerseys for, well, BP after ST. 

17 minutes ago, Quillz said:

You know, I've always wondered: what is the logic behind specific uniforms for spring training and batting practice? Is it purely about money, or is there an actual reason?

Initially, I'm sure BP jerseys came about as a way to save the regular jerseys. All jerseys were either gray or white, while the BP jerseys were team color. They were easier to clean and it let teams cut down on the washing, wear and tear on the regular jerseys. Plus, the fact that they were often mesh while the regular jerseys were doubleknit gave the players a little break during the spring when the games didn't mean anything. Just a guess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1 minute ago, Beeperino said:

Looks like the Reds version is out. Blech.

Reds ST 16.PNG

Reds are among the teams who didn't change anything. Granted, the jerseys will be made of the new Flex Base material, but a lot of teams just went with their existing BP caps and alternate jerseys. 

6 minutes ago, Bucs007 said:

Reds are among the teams who didn't change anything. Granted, the jerseys will be made of the new Flex Base material, but a lot of teams just went with their existing BP caps and alternate jerseys. 

I think that's a new cap.  Last year, they used plain red (home) and black crown/red bill (away).  I've not seen the red crown/black bill on the BP hats and it's admittedly my least favorite look.

Link to Twins red:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/fan_forum/infographics/redesign.jsp?partnerId=as_min_20160128_57713806&adbid=692738902759571456&adbpl=tw&adbpr=39397148&adbid=10153877897629841&adbpl=fb&adbpr=45991614840

Not a fan, but the gold does look better with their red-dominiated stuff.  But what looks really good is using blue as the dominant color and no gold.  And fewer than 50 uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, Beeperino said:

I think that's a new cap.  Last year, they used plain red (home) and black crown/red bill (away).  I've not seen the red crown/black bill on the BP hats and it's admittedly my least favorite look.

Ah. Ok, so small changes with the cap. So similar, I didn't even notice! 

2 minutes ago, Bucs007 said:

Ah. Ok, so small changes with the cap. So similar, I didn't even notice! 

No worries. I monitor the ongoing stupidity within the Reds' spectrum of uniform sets to a degree most would find unhealthy.  I wouldn't hold anyone else to that.

48 minutes ago, Bucs007 said:

BP jerseys are sticking around. Creamer mentioned that in the article announcing the ST jerseys. The new jerseys are separate and are made of the same material as the new on-field regular season jerseys. Teams will switch back to BP jerseys for, well, BP after ST. 

Not the Astros.  They said that the ST jersey will be the new alt (sans ST patch), and they are chunking the BP jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived