2017 World Baseball Classic

Anubis2051

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I also like the "Italia" script a lot.  I just wish that the letter I from this distinctive wordmark were used as the cap logo, instead of the block I.

Agreed, I think it would be a much better cap logo also. It's certainly more distinctive, but even beyond that, the block "I" is just too narrow and merely a thin strip in regards to the area it covers; I was watching the game earlier today and at one point thought that one of the players didn't have a batting helmet decal on. He did, its just that he was looking in a particular angle (but still not that far to the side) which, with a little glare, made the "I" unreadable. It just sort of disappeared.

Granted the script "I" still doesn't cover much area either, but 1) it's better designed, and 2) still covers more area than a toothpick and has substance to it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Team USA's uniforms are so gross and outdated. These guys should be getting the "Nike-Oregon-best sh1t ever" treatment.

That is all.

I agree I was surprised when I saw a highlight and they still had the old 90's (?) wordmark

Team USA looks as bad now as they did back in 2006, even as top level baseball has ditched other bad designs in both domestic and international competitions (looking at you, Black Jays and the old Japan WBC look). They have no reason to change, though. Americans will almost always root for Team USA, barring other connections like my own religion leading me to root for Team Israel, no matter what they're wearing.

In the end, I think changing their look would cost quite a bit, and as we've seen with all of these cookie cutter faux sleeves in WBC 2017, they want to save their money.

On a different note, hoping to see the WBC section of SportsLogos.net being updated a bit soon. Japan, Venezuela, Israel, no more South Africa...

Israel loses 12-2 to the Dutch.  So I suppose they need to somehow beat Japan and hope that Cuba beats the Netherlands, and by a good score, in order to advance.  Neither of which seems very likely at the moment, unfortunately.  Best way for them to ensure they move on, is to beat Japan, of course, but Japan has been a very good team so far this tournament, so it's probably going to be a real challenge for them to beat Japan.  Here's hoping, though.  IF they lose, they lose.  But even if they do, perhaps they can still somehow advance on to the semifinals, in any case.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

A modern-ish version of this would easily suffice.

28bd16f7ddba9088463365c6f33d781e.jpg  McGwire-TeamUSA1984-thumb-600x532-27741.

While that script is more dignified than the one they use now, I think that "USA" is too short to be displayed across the chest.  And, at the same time, it is too long to be a cap logo.  

They should use a cap based on this design that was used by a barnstorming team of Major League players that visited Japan in 1934:

Image result for 1934 u.s. baseball

(It is available for sale at Ebbets Field Flannels.)

I'd use uniforms with that same monogram on the left breast (in all blue, with a red outline) and with thick piping of red and blue, like the Nationals use.  I'd also put the number on the right rib, Nationals style.  But I'd use the Tigers' varsity number font, rather than the slightly weird number font of the Nationals.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I actually think team USA looks as good as they can with the logos they have and with the faux vest. The navy sleeves work fine and match the caps. The red bill on the cap I thought was a problem, and still it would probably look best with a solid navy cap, but a few players have some solid red accessories that actually make the red bill work. Andrew McCutchen wore all red shoes on Friday, Nolan Arenado and Brandon Crawford wore all red batting gloves, and Ian Kinsler has been wearing red wrist tape, plus the red bill matches well with the red numbers both on the front and back of the jerseys. The dark grey is horrendous because the USA letters are navy, if they were switched to white it would look better. But of course the dark grey is a problem for almost every team in this thing. 

Image result for team usa wbc 2017

Image result for ian kinsler wbc 2017

8 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

hoping to see the WBC section of SportsLogos.net being updated a bit soon. Japan, Venezuela, Israel, no more South Africa...

South Africa still exists in this thing. There's 12 teams that never got past the qualifying round. Only one team has appeared in the WBC/WBC qualifiers and never returned and that would be Thailand. So in total there's been 29 WBC teams. Would love for the site to one day have all of them represented here. 

Archived