MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well the Franciscans who settled California wore primarily blue grey so no help there...

I've yet to see any proof that blue grey robes were worn exclusively in California in place of brown ;)

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not exactly a source free from bias either.

Fair point. But at the same time if anyone would know it would be them. They're the ones looking at sales numbers, etc... If brown were going to be more popular and by extension make them more money you'd think they'd have switched already...

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I've yet to see any proof that blue grey robes were worn exclusively in California in place of brown ;)

Didn't say exclusively. But brown was also not the standard color either. They wore whatever they happened to be able to create. Sometimes it was a shade of brown as these Franciscans model quite well.

2012%201-12%20Friars%20Conference%20035_

Sometimes it was a shade of gray blue.

Abbadia4_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg

Sometimes it was black.

thumb-28.jpg

And sometimes it was simply gray.

vocations.jpg

No one color was the "definitive" Franciscan color. They've always been an religious order of men practicing extreme vows of poverty, they use what they have at hand. Heck the real Friars are a good reason IMO for the Padres to continue to have an inconsitent colorway with blue, brown, the military camo, etc... They're just as disjointed as their namesakes.

17 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It's shame that the Padres are moving away from the blue and yellow. That look is absolutely gorgeous.

It was a nice accent color if nothing else which they sorely needed since the sand had been all but eliminated. Harkened back to the 90's uniforms. Just don't get why they bothered with a single year uniform design.

30 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'm still waiting for the pic of Friars wearing US Navy blueberry camouflage.

Haven't found one that looks like that, but this Franciscan's sackcloth looks somewhat like the Padres old sand away uni and less so their USMC camo.

182998595-franciscan-friar-walks-barefoo

11 hours ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

I don't think whether the sand represents San Diego or not should be the point. If anything it should be what represents the team name, and that's brown more so than anything. Until we're names the San Diegans it should go along with the Padre/friar theme 

That's been my thought ever since they went away from the brown friar look. When they first introduced the "sand" color and changed the logo they were claiming the logo and color were all about the ocean, sailing, etc. Fine, so change the name to the Surf or Waves, etc. But if you are going to be the Padres, embrace the name and create a design that at least has some connection to the mascot.

It was, in my mind, one of the worst brands we had seen since it was a cop out for the design team. Reminds of when my students don't like the subject matter of an assignment and try whatever they can to force what they really wanted to design into the project. It could look great but if it doesn't address the subject it has failed. 

In the past regarding this subject I had done some research. Not many images of Fr. Serra exist but some think this is as close as we'll get to an accurate representation. Based on this dark grey I had mocked up what a dark grey / yellow cap would look like which I thought would be nice.

150430124725-01-junipero-serra-img-8598-padresgrey.jpg

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The guy who took the picture I posted earlier has confirmed it's not lighting nor a photo aberration causing the one he posted to look sand. Unlike your example above his really is printed as sand color, not yellow on both the SD and highlights on the Padres word mark. Now it's conceivable that there was a run of lanyards that had a poor printing of the yellow from the '16 set, but that's a pretty big :censored: up if so.

22 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well we know they're keeping the brown and yellow on Fridays, so there's always that to placate the vocal minority (as the Padres FO have called them in the past), who like the brown. And I'm glad the sand is back as I liked it (not as much as the 90's blue and orange mind you but the sand was/will be very cohesive with the ballpark). What baffles me was the one year switch to yellow. Has any other team ever had a one off uniform for hosting an All Star Game? Ironically one they didn't even wear to the ASG because the Padres were the visiting team in their own ballpark during the ASG...

Just speculating, but I'm guessing MLB did not like the sand color as it was too drab.  Which begs the question as to why they'd bring it back.  

5 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Fair point. But at the same time if anyone would know it would be them. 

There's no reason to suspect that they're being truthful. 

They're the ones looking at sales numbers, etc... If brown were going to be more popular and by extension make them more money you'd think they'd have switched already...

San Diego's own Chargers, the Rams still wearing their St. Louis colours, and the ______ Knights fiasco in the NHL are proof enough that what the owner wants will always trump what fans want. You assume that the Padres would have obviously switched if brown was the clear choice, but it often seems like owners will pick uniforms and logos they like and that's that. 

It seems clear to me that the the current Padres ownership likes navy and white. Therefore I'm hesitant to believe them when they say brown fans are a "vocal minority."

It would be like if Dean Spanos came out and said the Chargers were discontinuing the powder blue alternates because his "marketing" data suggests the fans just love navy. Either the data is false/spun to fit the owner's narrative, or those surveyed consisted entirely of the owner himself. 

Isn't the overwhelming success (record sales?) of the brown/yellow/orange All-Star game gear a pretty solid indicator that fans/public want that look back? I mean, from what I understand the Padres navy/white merchandise sales are near, if not at, the bottom in the league. So for their brown/yellow/orange throwback look to be a top seller says a lot to me about what colors and look the public will buy.

7 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Isn't the overwhelming success (record sales?) of the brown/yellow/orange All-Star game gear a pretty solid indicator that fans/public want that look back? I mean, from what I understand the Padres navy/white merchandise sales are near, if not at, the bottom in the league. So for their brown/yellow/orange throwback look to be a top seller says a lot to me about what colors and look the public will buy.

Well keep in mind that was the All Star look, not the every day look. And that included fans of all 30 teams. I mean this board bears that out to some extent with so many non-Padres fans clamoring for them to go brown because it's unique. But that doesn't necessarily carry over that it's what those that buy Padres gear regularly, namely Padres fans and those in San Diego, want. It's possible, not one does not necessarily equate to the other.

1 hour ago, larrypep said:

Just speculating, but I'm guessing MLB did not like the sand color as it was too drab.  Which begs the question as to why they'd bring it back.  

Well they launched the yellow as a one year thing, and they had sand in the unis in a limited fashion in 2015. They could be simply reinstating it after it's planned one year hiatus.

Didn't say exclusively. But brown was also not the standard color either.

Perception vs reality isn't so much a case of opposites as much as it is a case of simplifying things for easy recall and mental consumption. Franciscan monks wearing brown robes is just the mental image that's been accepted by the vast majority of the population. That perception isn't wrong. It's not the entire truth. So when you say...

No one color was the "definitive" Franciscan color.

...you're wrong. Yes, the order doesn't wear just one colour, but brown has emerged as the "definitive" Franciscan monk colour in the popular consciousness.

The fact that they are known to wear blue-grey and tan robes at times doesn't really justify the team's stubborn insistence on navy and sand either. If they adopted those colours but otherwise tried to tie it all in to their mascot? That would be one thing. Instead they've opted to play up the beach. So I really don't buy the "the monks sometimes wear tan and blue-grey, so their current look is fine after all!" argument.

20 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Well keep in mind that was the All Star look, not the every day look. And that included fans of all 30 teams. I mean this board bears that out to some extent with so many non-Padres fans clamoring for them to go brown because it's unique. But that doesn't necessarily carry over that it's what those that buy Padres gear regularly, namely Padres fans and those in San Diego, want. It's possible, not one does not necessarily equate to the other.

Yes, I get that. Still there is something to be said for the All Star look's popularity whether it be locally or nationally. I'd just love to be on the inside and hear honestly why they are so anti-brown. The Padres are a boring, bad team with a bland identity. And sitting right in front of them is an exciting, vibrant look that has, and would excite the baseball world. It would seem a no-brainer to at least look exciting when your team is otherwise very bad.

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

The guy who took the picture I posted earlier has confirmed it's not lighting nor a photo aberration causing the one he posted to look sand. Unlike your example above his really is printed as sand color, not yellow on both the SD and highlights on the Padres word mark. Now it's conceivable that there was a run of lanyards that had a poor printing of the yellow from the '16 set, but that's a pretty big :censored: up if so.

It's odd that the first product with the new colors would be a lanyard, not seen anywhere else, and his photo isn't of a display in a store showing that they are publicly sold.  There is a bit of selection bias in posting a photo of one lanyard.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived