MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, if I'd thought about it, I would have just Googled "Cleveland Indians logo", as the television station must have.  And look what comes up:

GoogleClevelandIndiansLogo.png

Which leads us to this low-rent merch page:

ClevelandIndiansLogoRug.png

Maybe they created it for this round area rug, and it was mistakenly picked up as genuine?

Isn't there legal, style guide type issues with a TV broadcast using an unofficial logo? I know there are issues with video games being forced to use the appropriate logos so I'd imagine the Today show hears from MLB about that. Then again, if it is being using on that rug above then maybe it is official or licensed or something because how can they sell a product with an unofficial logo. Selling that rug with an unofficial logo seems more of a legal problem than a tv show using an unofficial logo.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Isn't there legal, style guide type issues with a TV broadcast using an unofficial logo? I know there are issues with video games being forced to use the appropriate logos so I'd imagine the Today show hears from MLB about that. Then again, if it is being using on that rug above then maybe it is official or licensed or something because how can they sell a product with an unofficial logo. Selling that rug with an unofficial logo seems more of a legal problem than a tv show using an unofficial logo.

Teams (and most every company/organization) all have style guides that dictate how their varying logos are to be used, but that assumes that the graphics people on the Today Show a) have access to those style guides and b) care enough to apply them.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

39 minutes ago, Matito said:

Teams (and most every company/organization) all have style guides that dictate how their varying logos are to be used, but that assumes that the graphics people on the Today Show a) have access to those style guides and B)care enough to apply them.

Yes but on the teams behalf isn't it their responsibility to make sure the Today show and other forms of media use the correct logos? If that logo wasn't official, as some of us are assuming, I'd imagine MLB and/or the Cleveland Indians are supposed to do something about that.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yes but on the teams behalf isn't it their responsibility to make sure the Today show and other forms of media use the correct logos? If that logo wasn't official, as some of us are assuming, I'd imagine MLB and/or the Cleveland Indians are supposed to do something about that.

And maybe they did.  Do we know if the Today Show used it multiple times over multiple days?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Who says they haven't? It's next-to-impossible to send the correct logo to every news media outlet that might be reporting on the World Series. Granted, NBC is on the larger side and should be using their resources to get the correct logo, but I'm putting my money on someone just not caring.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Rob Manfred to discuss the future of "Chief Wahoo" with Indians owners

(Boy is that comment section a garbage fire...)

Regardless of what happens with this, I like the move. You recognise that this is a major issue with a segment if your fanbase, and will meet to determine the proper way forward. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, Matito said:

Who says they haven't? It's next-to-impossible to send the correct logo to every news media outlet that might be reporting on the World Series. Granted, NBC is on the larger side and should be using their resources to get the correct logo, but I'm putting my money on someone just not caring.

Oh I know I agree with you. I think we're kinda both saying the same thing in a roundabout way.

All for the Indians getting rid of Chief Wahoo entirely. Even if it means they don't change the boring block C logo too. Once people started dressing up in red face with headdresses and all that stuff and screaming in the faces of actual Native Americans protesting outside the ballpark, yeah, that was the final straw.

Bring on the Cleveland Spiders!

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They always are. 

But good for the Commissioner.  About :censored: ing time.

Agreed. Wahoo has been a pretty blatant racist mess for a long time. They've done a decent job of weaning the fan base off him the last few years, time to put the fork in him and be done with it.

Didn't someone do a cool C/feather concept on the boards a while back? I thought that was pretty cool.

My hope is they don't make a big deal about it or anything, but simply stop using Wahoo. No need to make a big statement and pretend to be holier than thou. Just quietly use the C and not Wahoo.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:50 AM, will61589 said:

The brown/yellow look is solid with pinstripes. I prefer the current padres font though...

MY CONCEPT HOME P.jpg

One of the issues I take with the Padres wordmark is that the P and S are too big. I prefer the look of what the Mariners have done. Makes for a better look in my opinion.

Add to it that the font is too bold and it just doesn't look refined.

Mariners-51-Griffey-Jr.-Home-White-Jerse201604570410aec3c8e.jpg

5 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

Bring on the Cleveland Spiders!

I'll be honest, I'd legit love to see them scrap the Indians name and bring Spiders back. I've even seen a couple of pretty nice concepts around:
6949170070_cc6333786d_o.jpg

6949198950_6698caf16e_o.png
Like, take the "C w/spider web" logo from the top one and pair 'em with the uniforms from the bottom one, and I really think you'd have a solid look.

Honestly, scrapping Chief Wahoo isn't going to fix their identity. Let's be real, their identity is a mess. Their home uniforms consist of Chief Wahoo obviously, and an awkwardly crooked script that's always bugged me. Their away uniforms are about as generic as they can get, and I don't care what anyone says about the blocked C; it's terrible. I've mentioned that I'd love to see them do something along the lines of what the Spokane Indians do. But if they aren't going to use even a small portion of Native American imagery in their look, then they might as well not even call themselves the Indians.

8 hours ago, hawk36 said:

One of the issues I take with the Padres wordmark is that the P and S are too big. I prefer the look of what the Mariners have done. Makes for a better look in my opinion.

Add to it that the font is too bold and it just doesn't look refined.

Mariners-51-Griffey-Jr.-Home-White-Jerse201604570410aec3c8e.jpg

I actually think that the Mariners jersey is too subtle. From even a slight distance, you lose the teal and the details in the font. The Astros have a similar problem, though orange outlines pop a bit more.

The PadreS font (which might actually be a nod to the B&W PCL Padres jersey) may not be refined but it helps the Padres stand out a little bit.

Archived