MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

On that road uniform, the only tweak I'd make would be to either add a white outline to the numbers/NOB's (big-letter NOB's by the way, I love that design quirk), or to adopt the design that had no white outlines:

gf_newheros_auc45_rose.jpg

Also, I'd keep the black cleats. Not every red-dominant team needs to have red shoes.

Yes I'd outline everything in white, though @Gothamite will probably disagree :D

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd personally stay away from the white outlines on the road uniforms, though it honestly looks good either way.

Also not a fan of the gigantic NOB, especially on players with long last names (anything more than 7 or so letters looks terrible). That, to me, was the one flaw with the Reds' look back in the late 60's-early 70's. Other than the huge NOB, they pretty much had their look perfected.

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I think we're on the same page here regarding our team. My ideal Reds uniform would include no black at all and would either be a buttoned version of the 1990 uniforms or the uniforms they wore right before the Big Red Machine pullovers. 

The only thing I like about the current road uniforms is the red-white-red piping on the pants and sleeves. That base is a good place to start, but I'm tired of the cutesy old timey font. I call it the 1860's Baseball Theme Park font. It now feels unbecoming of a franchise of their history and age. I, like you, also don't like the black billed hat. The road uniform would be improved without it and I know this because half the time they're wearing the road uniform they're wearing all red batting helmets!

The red jerseys were fine as a once every two weeks thing. Every home day game became overkill and means that they wear their best uniform, the home whites, less often. They wear the home whites less often than they wear the road grays. 

I'd be cool if they went back to this and pretended the last 25 years didn't happen

johnny-bench-hof-1.jpgartpp-sa03-130003_l_prodimage.jpg

Everything you said.

I've said it before, but since we're talking about those Reds uniforms, I'll say it again.  If they had left well enough alone back in 1972, those Reds uniforms would be mentioned as among the best of all time, along with the Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.  Sadly, I fear that the people on this board with taste are in the minority. I suspect the common fan would consider them "too plain". The Reds supposedly did an opinion study of some sort back in 2007 and what we have now is what won, if that tells you anything.  If we can't get a makeover, I wish they'd at least get rid of those awful road caps.

I was at a Petco Park tour on Monday and everything in the store was 50 percent off. I asked the person leading our tour and they both said they had no knowledge of a change or non change. Everyone I spoke to are leading towards brown but I guess we shall have to wait.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:10 PM, Jungle Jim said:

I've said it before, but since we're talking about those Reds uniforms, I'll say it again.  If they had left well enough alone back in 1972, those Reds uniforms would be mentioned as among the best of all time, along with the Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.  Sadly, I fear that the people on this board with taste are in the minority. I suspect the common fan would consider them "too plain". The Reds supposedly did an opinion study of some sort back in 2007 and what we have now is what won, if that tells you anything.  If we can't get a makeover, I wish they'd at least get rid of those awful road caps.

You know what is crazy to think about? The current uniforms that have been in use since 2007 have now lasted longer than the 93-98 pinstriped vests or the 99-06 BFBS vests.

The ball club is due for a change. A full throwback is the correct way to go.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 10/8/2016 at 9:28 PM, Dra--- said:

Any news on what the Padres new uniforms will look like? Dennis Lin from the UT reports that they will be white and brown, no yellow/gold.

So even when they please the masses by going back to brown, they'll be aggravating everyone yet again by introducing yet another color scheme into the mix. The San Diego Padres are the reason these boards will always exist.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:32 PM, joekono said:

I was at a Petco Park tour on Monday and everything in the store was 50 percent off. I asked the person leading our tour and they both said they had no knowledge of a change or non change. Everyone I spoke to are leading towards brown but I guess we shall have to wait.

I wouldn't put any stock what an employee at the ballpark did or didn't say or what they were leaning towards. I know for the changes made before this season very few employees knew exactly what the changes were before the public announcements.

As for the thoughts on just brown and white, is there an article/tweet with that info from Dennis Lin? I was trying to find it and couldn't. The only thing I have seen his article which is from September which was referenced before that mentions the team ditching yellow on the home uniform, but states the Friday fauxback yellow/brown combo will stay in tact in what sounds like the same role.

SEAsig.png

13 hours ago, benpc21 said:

I wouldn't put any stock what an employee at the ballpark did or didn't say or what they were leaning towards. I know for the changes made before this season very few employees knew exactly what the changes were before the public announcements.

As for the thoughts on just brown and white, is there an article/tweet with that info from Dennis Lin? I was trying to find it and couldn't. The only thing I have seen his article which is from September which was referenced before that mentions the team ditching yellow on the home uniform, but states the Friday fauxback yellow/brown combo will stay in tact in what sounds like the same role.

I haven't seen any new news either.

I'm sad if the Friday fauxback will remain since, even though I'm a huge brown/yellow fan, that wordmark is just clunky and unappealing to me. I'd much rather they use those with the SD that is very well designed in my opinion.

On Twitter today, our fearless leader said nothing major is coming for anyone.  Chris didn't specify if he considered a re-coloring as major.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I agree. I was surprised that MLB had any influence at all on uniforms. Especially considering the look of teams like the D-Backs.

I wondered if it had something to do with the Padres working closely with MLB during the All-Star Game, and maybe that explained some of the influence. I'm only speculating though, and I have no idea why the Padres would cut yellow just because MLB asked them to.

12 minutes ago, Dra--- said:

I agree. I was surprised that MLB had any influence at all on uniforms. Especially considering the look of teams like the D-Backs.

I wondered if it had something to do with the Padres working closely with MLB during the All-Star Game, and maybe that explained some of the influence. I'm only speculating though, and I have no idea why the Padres would cut yellow just because MLB asked them to.

That's interesting too. From what I read about the initial Diamondbacks red rebrand, the organization cites that it was the MLB that told the team that they needed to move away from purple because it was hard to match, didn't show up well on TV and in print and/or often looked blue, and didn't sell well. It seems surprising that the MLB tries to influence the looks of teams, then again maybe not, considering that majority of the league is red or blue.

Where was the MLB on this latest Diamondbacks monstrosity??? Dropped the ball on that one.

13 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

That's interesting too. From what I read about the initial Diamondbacks red rebrand, the organization cites that it was the MLB that told the team that they needed to move away from purple because it was hard to match, didn't show up well on TV and in print and/or often looked blue, and didn't sell well. It seems surprising that the MLB tries to influence the looks of teams, then again maybe not, considering that majority of the league is red or blue.

Where was the MLB on this latest Diamondbacks monstrosity??? Dropped the ball on that one.

What your example suggests is that they have influence, but perhaps it's not always consistent or depends on factors like TV or sales. Maybe the new D-Backs red and black shows up well on TV broadcasts and has sufficient sales? Despite being ugly (well, I am a SD State Aztec fans, so I do like black and red. The D-Backs design is just crazy though).

Someone on the Padres UT board speculated that MLB might want the Pads to cut yellow because the identity of teams like the A's are grounded in yellow. I have a hard time believing that because it's not as though yellow/gold is used nearly as much as blue or red.

Maybe MLB thinks brown and white would show up better on TV than brown, white, and yellow/gold? If they used that reason with the D-Backs, it could be used here too. We know from the All-Star Game that brown, white, and yellow/gold sell very well.

Archived