Minor league hockey team takes issue with concepts

hockey week

I'm shocked to see this hasn't been talked about here. 

I follow hockeyjerseyconcepts.blogspot.com pretty regularly, they put out good content and I always enjoy seeing some of the stuff that started here and other stuff I haven't seen. 

I certainly don't mean to take away from their traffic, if you can, give them the clicks and read about this story there:

http://hockeyjerseyconcepts.blogspot.com/2016/09/monday-de-edge-three.html

But it appears they had some issues with "copyright" and a minor league hockey team:

Rant: If you've been keeping up with HJC site news then you'll know the SPHL team that won't be named has a problem with people making concepts of them and "illegally using their logos and name". I understand that teams are concerned with counterfeit merchandise, but as far as I know, any concepts made into reality are made through a team's contest or a one off....no one here wants to rip anyone off and disapproves immensely when counterfeit jerseys are seen...I know myself and Ryan have spoken out many a time against knockoffs and how to avoid them. I think this is a person in an organization not understanding the purpose of our blog and if Ryan is right that they liked someone's redesign...(which they desperately need)...it'll be interesting to see what happens from there. However the team's site has an interesting section on logo use and how it must be applied for. In all seriousness though...don't waste your time making concepts with this team, they clearly don't want it and another team who appreciates the effort put into concepts...or at least the free publicity...is more worth your time. If they refuse to respond to Ryan's emails, there's not much we can do. Be civil with this and let's focus on the other hundreds of teams that are not hostile to concepts.

And then the other time I could find about this issue:

I was contacted by a team in the SPHL. This particular team is the only reptile themed team in the league from the state of Georgia. Their "Marketing & Fan Experience Manager" informed me that we have been illegally using their logo and that I have 30 days to remove the concepts and HJC was threatened with legal action. I immediately responded and asked this person to explain to me the team's contention with our readers creating jersey concepts on a "Just For Fun" blog? I never heard back from them.

Well done to this team that does not want to be named! I can totally see how this Just-For-Fun blog could really be damaging your brand. Free publicity must really be terrible, especially for a semi-pro team in the SPHL.

Going forward do not send in any concepts for this team. I don't want to post them, they don't deserve the attention, and they don't want us using their logo. Existing concepts for this team will be altered to remove any mention of the team name and logos.

I believe there is a chance that they really liked one of their concepts posted here on HJC. They may like it so much that they want to take that idea for themselves without giving credit or compensation. So if you have submitted a concept for this team keep an eye on them to see if your idea shows up over the next year and a half.

Good riddance to you SPHL team. There are lots of other teams much classier than you that understand what everyone is doing here and that no one has any intention of hurting any brand with their creativity.

I figured that this board is probably the most relevant place to bring attention to this issue, the legal action that might be possible, the ethics of it all, and for those on twitter, perhaps an opportunity to bring attention to the issue in favor of hockeyjerseyconcepts. 

What say you all?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Agreed, and if someones concept comes reality in the next year or so, that no-named team may have a fight on their hands.

For all you watchdogs out there, it's the team that everyone thinks is in Ohio, but is actually located in Georgia.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yup, the only reptile named team in Georgia in the SPHL.

They have quite the expansive logo use policy/request system.

http://www.cottonmouths.com/partners/logo-request/

And terms and conditions

http://cottonmouths.com/partners/logotermsandconditions/

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 hours ago, nash61 said:

They have quite the expansive logo use policy/request system.

http://www.cottonmouths.com/partners/logo-request/

And terms and conditions

http://cottonmouths.com/partners/logotermsandconditions/

If they wanna be THIS dickish about their logo usage, they should just join the NCAA already...

bYhYmxh.png

They are also the only team in the SPHL that includes the trademark sign on their logo in the header.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

9 hours ago, hockey week said:

They're the Prince of hockey teams. I wonder if they police youtube for videos taken at their games, or children's drawings...or anything else sweet and innocent...

Not quite.

Dicks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I post on the biggest Australian Football forum bigfooty.com, which has tens of thousands of members and quite an active uniform and logo board. Several years back we had a rep from Adidas contact the bigfooty admin with a similar legal threat regarding concepts with Adidas logos that people were posting to the forum.

We've just sort of started using the Adidas logo and Adidas templates again now, but for a couple of years there you just couldn't do it, and people would leave the logos off of concepts for Adidas sponsored teams or use an alternate logo.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how some teams will take offense to concepts and threaten legal action to the people are doing it for fun and not looking to profit off it. When I reported an illegal use of an ECHL teams logo to the actual team, they didn't seem to care and the site is still selling the jersey with their logo on it. It's a US company selling it too, so its not like it is some company in China that you can do nothing about.

Archived