NBA First Alternate Jerseys

eibram

I can't believe the Celtics still wear that hideous thing for nearly half of their road games per year. Black text just gets muddled with the green, and the trim elements are tacky and cheap compared to the clean and classy trim on the traditional greens.

I know the Jazz alt was/is controversial but it sticks out strongly in my mind. I loved it. I loved all the Jazz jerseys from that era when they were the Bulls' truest foil, but thought that one was so interesting between ditching the mountains and purple/blue for black/copper. Kinda reminds me of the design conventions for alternates in global soccer, in a way.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Jazz wore the green unis at home vs. Detroit on March 17 1986.

1 hour ago, Josh.0 said:

I am trying to confirm this, but I believe the Pacers had a gold home (maybe road too?) alternate in the early 80's.

They wore gold home unis from 1983-85:

s-l1000.jpg

Also, regarding the Magic's blue uniforms - these were designated as standard road unis for 1994-95, with the black unis being relegated to 3rds.

3 hours ago, Discogod said:

The Jazz wore the green unis at home vs. Detroit on March 17 1986.

Right. I am aware of that game. There were a couple other games in 1985 for Malone's rookie season that the team wore them. Not sure of the dates.

But, here's a screen grab from the Pistons/Jazz game ... green vs. blue!

6507346465_a545d26848_o.jpg

@eibram  The New Orleans basketball franchise is  retroactively considered as having been "officially" founded in 2002 (upon relocation). Therefore, the Pelicans, as the then-Hornets,  first alternate would be these:

IMG_0289.JPG

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

15 hours ago, Discogod said:

Charlotte, Detroit, Orlando, Phoenix & Atlanta introduced 3rd jerseys for the 1994-95 season (I believe the Hawks were the first team to actually wear them in a game but I'd need to double-check dates to be sure). Here's the Hawks' 3rd:

Atlanta-Hawks-1992-1995-Alternate-Jersey

I actually forgot about that one.  That entire set of Hawks unis was underrated, IMO

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

@eibram  The New Orleans basketball franchise is  retroactively considered as having been "officially" founded in 2002 (upon relocation). Therefore, the Pelicans, as the then-Hornets,  first alternate would be these:

IMG_0289.JPG

I always loved those.  Yellow and teal work good together.

4 hours ago, johnnysama said:

The Portland Trailblazers first wore red as an alternate set during the 1980s. The current set, I believe, has a red alternate as well.

7327afeb5568d95be2437e36eb4f5c34.gif

I'm not sure if these were alternates or not? I believe they wore them in the early 80s as their full-time set after wearing the black jerseys after a year and returning to these in 1984-85? 

2 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

I'm not sure if these were alternates or not? I believe they wore them in the early 80s as their full-time set after wearing the black jerseys after a year and returning to these in 1984-85? 

That's right, they were the road unis from 1979-85.

33 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I loved those Blue Clippers alts with Los Angeles cursive. Even then, piggybacking off and playing in the Lakers shadow, they have more of an identity than they do now. 

Those were one of my favorites too, classics. Can't wait for their change. I'm so ready for this Nike NBA uniform renaissance.

They had a great set. RWB yes, but they sort of owned it at the time. There was next to no one using RWB in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Hawks, Sixers, Wizards/Bullets, Pistons had all either moved away from it at some point or hadn't gone to it yet.

And the cursive script was their thing as well. That was a great, classy look. 

sig.png

On 11/16/2016 at 10:01 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Some really awesome ones on this list. My favorites are the Hornets, Bulls, Nets, Bucks, Magic, Grizzlies, and Suns.

And as a kid, I never liked the Jazz alt at all. Not even being a 9-10 year old fan made those better to me. The purples were 10x better.

Ditto. BFBS alternates have always annoyed me. I think a copper alt would've been cool as part of that set.

Archived