North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Chicago is weird. Weren't they supposed to make some big acquisition this offseason? And by big I mean not Dax McCarty?

Wouldn't be the first time they've disappointed people. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Lord!! Son of rich Charlotte guy wants both city and county $$$.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article127702734.html

With a deadline less than two weeks away, Mecklenburg County on Friday released details of a proposed $175 million soccer stadium for which the county and city of Charlotte are each asked to contribute up to $43.75 million.

Investors headed by speedway magnate Bruton Smith and his son Marcus would pay the other $87.5 million of the Major League Soccer stadium to be built on the site of the county’s Memorial Stadium in Elizabeth.

In addition to its contribution toward construction, Mecklenburg County would finance $75 million of the team’s costs and be reimbursed at $4.3 million annually over 25 years. The county would manage design and construction of the stadium.

Sound familiar? Hustlin' is a sport family trait in America. And know that UNC- Charlotte has an expandable 20K seat stadium and the city has American Legion Stadium there too.

Hell, Charlotte Motor Speedway has a 1/4 mile track on pit road, and a dirt track within the complex in Concord too.  While not in the city center, do it on your own land, B.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Charlotte has to be the preferred market, all things considered.   But hopefully they tell this guy to get stuffed.  

More likely, I think, is that other regions get in this round. 

Humpy Wheeler's pop has lots Cash and lots of friends.

The city/county just took the AAA baseball park from their SC suburb two years ago too.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:18 AM, Wings said:

So does Raleigh swoop in or does Garber prefer Charlotte?

Garber seems to prefer San Diego. He's in SD today for the unveiling of the MLS group's plan. Which includes no public money needed. All they'll ultimately need is city council approval, which appears likely. The MLS group are even smart enough to leave space for an NFL stadium on the Qualcomm Stadium site to assuage NFL fans fears that an MLS stadium would preclude the NFL from ever coming back.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/MLS-Targeting-San-Diego-for-Expansion-410864725.html

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I like the Lego suite wall.

But I'll ask -- is three teams in Southern California too many?

Not really. Two teams in LA might be too much, but since San Diego is a different, and very available market with the Chargers now gone, can't see how putting a team in SD would be too much.

Two teams in LA doesn't matter as long as they're in different areas. LAFC will be right near the Coliseum near downtown, while the Galaxy are further out from the center. Two different bases to draw from given the population.

A San Diego MLS team would take advantage of disenfranchised Chargers fans, not too dissimilar to the Sounders benefiting greatly after the Sonics left. Plus, there is a large market of soccer fans in southern California, that with younger audiences who may not have the allegiances to teams from Mexico that their extended family may favor and latch onto a team that can easily be attended in their own home market.

You're all right. In my mind I was conflating NFL with MLS support. But MLS games are an order of magnitude cheaper, more frequent and often have smaller crowds.

I'm rooting for San Diego FC to happen. The western conference can always used another cupcake expansion team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So...........

#24 Miami  (When will the patience run out?)

#25 Sacramento

#26 St. Louis (Stadium issues to be resolved)

#27 San Diego

#28 Charlotte (Stadium issues to be resolved)

Eventually expansion to 30 or 32 will happen. 

Archived